R-lipoic acid/ mitochondria/Myhill

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by winsomme, Jan 4, 2009.

1. winsomme

winsomme New Member

So i was reading the post about Dr Myhill and got the part about trying to shift cells away from glycolysis and towards aerobic respiration.

the substance mentioned that could do that was dichloroacetate (DCA). it works by inhibiting pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase which in turn upregulates pyruvate dehydrogenase. This "decreases lactate production by shifting the metabolism of pyruvate from glycolysis towards oxidation in the mitochondria.." from Wikipedia...

anyway reading made me wonder if there were other substances that inhibit this same enzyme. did a little Googling and found this:

R-lipoic acid inhibits mammalian pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase

apparently this form of Lipoic Acid could potentially do something similar to dichloroacetate. and it makes me wonder if you combined one of these protocols aimed addressing cellular energy production with R Lipoic acid if it would better help the shift away from glycolysis.

interestingly, there is some research about R Lipoic Acid in Alzheimer's and Cardiovascular disease..
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I am taking Alpha Lipoic Acid as part of my treatment. Don't know the difference, but my Dr is treating my mito disorder.

3. winsomme

winsomme New Member

do you know if the ALA that you are taking is the R Lipoic Acid.

from the little reading i have done in it, it seems like the standard ALA suppl that we buy at the store has two forms of ALA in it....the S Lipoic Acid and the R Lipoic Acid.

again, from the little reading i have done, it seems like it is the R Lipoic Acid that is having the impact on the mitochondria...

and there are supplements sold that are just the R kind....from what i can tell.