R U Sensitive to "Western" medicine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RockiAZ, Mar 14, 2006.

1. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

Was wondering if anybody else here is sensitive to "Western" medicine. I've been like this all my life, but more so over the past few years. I'm extremly sensitive and get severe reactions to where I've ended up in the E.R. I mainly use natural/homeopathic remedies. However, after several trials of different sleeping pills (against my will at first) I found that I can take Lunesta for "sleep" and I'm on the lowest dose.

Does anybody else react to meds like or similar to this?

Live, Love, Laugh,
    Rocki
  2. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

of us have this problem, being sensitive to med. I am sensitive even to so called natural cures, can't tolerate anything with ginsin in it, a few others too.

Just the nature of this beast.
    Laura
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Rocki:
    I have done well with Western medicine. I have been well taken care of and I have made sure I have the best doctors possible. I never had an adverse reaction and, for the most part, I have been discouraged from trying supplements.
    I know supplements help many people and I do dabble myself, but the doctor says I am wasting my money because there is no cure. I tend to believe there is no cure, although IMHO.

Hugs,
    NyroFan
  4. plbartel

plbartel New Member

Hi Rocki,
    I am extremely sensitive to everything...Im not kdding when I say everything!! even a vitamin. Drs. have to treat me like a small child with doses and most things i just cant tolerate. So, with that said I'm a mess right now..because i need an antidepressant and they all give me huge side effects. Cymbalta started to make me feel happy but It made my fibro pain worse!!! Lexapro made me feel better but It made me grind my poor teeth that I cant afford to fix. I was only on 2.5 mg....geeze. I would like to try natural meds but cant afford to go to that kind of Doc. You are not alone! Someone told me to try "Bach flower essence" but its expensive to try and not really know what the heck Im doing. What to you take? Penny
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I think that the mistake for any med is that they use the same dosage for all. This is not right. Some people need only small amounts some larger. In AARP mag a pharmacist discovered at nursing homes that the pqtients were all on far too high meds for old people.

I am med sensitive. When I tell docs they look at me like I have three heads.

My friend distributes oils and I cannot stand near here for more than a few miniutes without feeling ill so the oils make me really bad. I think it is the smell.

Love Anne C
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Sesitivety to medications, both natural and phamceutical, is common with CFS. We often require MUCH lower doses than the standard dose (which was usually determined using healthy adult males). Allergies/hypersensitivities that prevent a person from taking a medication at all are also not uncommon. It is pretty much a trial and error 'adventure' to determine what you can take and in what amounts.
  7. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

Hi Penny.

I take several of your usual vitamin based supplements, but also St. Johns Wort, 5-HTP, MSM with Boswellia (I also have osteoarthritis), digestive enzymes, adrenal and Lunesta. I'm going to a new doc next week to see if we can change some things. I also tried Cymbalta, but it knocked me on my &*!

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki

8. kch64

kch64 New Member

I have become much more sensitive to meds. I am allergic to almost all antibiotics.

Never was until I got this illness.

I have to take lower dosages of many things, or I get side effects from most stuff.

You're not alone.

Kendra
  9. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Except for my sleeping meds (valium derivatives), I'm known as the "pediatric doser".........(I'm in my 60's). So if I attempt a new RX (seldom anymore), I take a tiny chip off of one, and melt it in water & see how I react. Usually, I do, & dump another one in the trash!!

Frustrating..........& forget pain meds or antibiotics.....

LIGHT********carole
  10. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

I have been told that since I "don't" take Western medicine (it's "can't"), it would be difficult to win my LTD claim (and SSDI claim if I go that far) because they will see it as "well, guess she's not that bad off" type of a thing. Even though my records are documented with my extreme sensitivites.... that's another story.

Anyway, I am very greatful to all your replies!! I guess it also makes me feel good that I'm not the only one on a "pediatric" regimen! Thankfully we have alternative remedies.

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  11. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I had to laugh when I saw the title of your post, because it is so me! My system is very sensitive and I have gotten to where I've pretty much written off pharmaceuticals, etc., because they almost always give me severe side effects, toxic reactions, etc.

I now see an ND and now treat myself and my 4 y.o. daughter homeopathically and with supplements. I have CFS and definitely do still "flare", but in general my body responds much better to this type of gentle treatment. My little girl also is just amazingly healthy...the one or two times she gets sick, it's the runny nose for a day type of thing...while kids around us are...seriously...being rushed to the ER with bad flus/stomach bugs or are frequently on nebulizers for asthma treatments and/or the pneumonia that a common cold can turn into for these kids (my hair stylist was talking about this re: her 2 y.o. daughter today). It's scary. I am just glad we found something that seems to work for us.

Even my very intolerant in-laws, who used to dismiss my ND as a quack and looked at the homeopathics like poisons (really...oh, the scathing comments they made how I was crazy and what was I doing to my daughter, really) can't deny how much healthier and robust our daughter is compared to her cousins, who are treated via traditional peds. and keep coming down with one thing or another. And the icing on the cake is that now my husband...who seethingly tolerated paying the bills for my "placebo effect" doctor...takes some of my homeopathics for cold symptoms or sports injuries, and he sees for himself how they even help him. He's not exactly a convert, yet, but at least he is much more open to me treating my daughter and myself this way, as he's seen us both getting much healthier (esp. her...you should see her peppiness and rosy cheeks...she just radiates good health).

I hope you've found things that help outside of the "traditional MD" forte as well.

Good luck!
    C.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]