Rabbits in my gardenHelp/oops think it is gophers now

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, May 2, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

We just planted our garden about a week or so ago. I went out there yestersay to water it and one of the canteloupe plants was completely gone. Today I went out there and one of the tomato plants was gone. Rabbit is eating all of the plant and the root is still in the ground. Don't really want to mess with putting a fence up around the garden. So, my question is-Does anyone know of anything that will make the rabbits go away? If so please let me know. This was way too much work to let the rabbits eat it all.

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2006]
  2. place

place New Member

The first year our dogs would chaise them off, so the next year they decided to make there home inside the garden fence, where the food is and the dogs can't go! I don't have the heart to do anything so we try to make sure we stake things higher than they can reach. We have have never been able to plant canteloupe or any type of ground creeping plants.
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

my dimwitted dh (lovingly said)said urine...wee in the garden...tehe

works for deer I know, but he claims works for wabbits too.

He now says preferably cat or fox urine...good luck with that one.

you will have to pardon both of us for being so silly, i took a flexeril and he took a fall yesterday, said he didn't hit his head yet I am now wondering...haha

we live in the Maine woods with wildlife everywhere, we put in raised beds and fenced in with chicken wire on wooden posts...3 years straight, no problems...the deer eat the clover right next to the garden and even look in there, but never touch...our groundhog even feeds with her young right next to it...we also have a memorial garden for our lil boy Moose and it's not fenced and they still don't touch...

Our initial investment for 2 8x16 foot beds with dirt and fencing was $500.00 and that was 4 years ago. worth it for us. while everyone around us is complaining about water issues and pests, our gardens thrive...

wishing you luck, esp. finding the fox urine...i will be smacking the hubby when i am able to stand without getting dizzy...

peace~Alicia
  4. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

that if you put hot peppers or red pepper flakes, or cayanne pepper. I plan on trying it myself this year.

Let me know if you have any success
    Granny
  5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m having the same problem with those pesky rabbits eating my tulips. I was so looking forword to the colorful blooms. What I am trying is putting a fairly big wind chime right above the tulips. I figured the noise and movement would scare them away. So far I haven`t seem anymore damage. Human hair is another good thing that I just remembered I used to use that worked well. Just take the hair out of your hair brushes and put in your garden. It`s supposed to keep most wild animals away.
  6. libra55

libra55 New Member

Try cayenne pepper sprinkled all around the periphery of the garden. That might do the trick.

We have a family of bunnies living under our deck. Yesterday morning there was a cute little fellow (or gal) sitting out there. He couldn't have been more than a few inches long, and he was all ears. He just sat there, all alone. Then he got a whiff of my dogs and he was off like a shot out of a cannon. All I could see was his little white tail.

Michelle
  7. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

My brother has a chow chow and they are very hairy. And they shed like crazy! So we take the dog hairs and put them in the garden. Poof! No wabbits! Only problem...you have to redo it every time it rains. Oh well. *sigh*

God Bless.
  8. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

where can you get this shake away, to keep the rabbits away.? will it keep raccoons away from corn, if it does that would be great
    thanks sixtyslady.
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I read that a boarder of marigolds keeps something away, but of course I can't remember what.

Maybe a source about organic gardening would help. But you already have some suggestions above. If the dog hair doesn't work, just keep the chow near the garden. Those babies can be fierce!
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

PERFECT!!! WE HAVE 7 DOGS. WHEN I SWEEP THE FLOOR I WILL GO PUT IT IN THE GARDEN. HOW MUCH HAIR IS ENOUGH THOUGH. THIS SOUNDS KIND OF GROSS. BUT IF IT WORKS, I WILL TRY IT. I AM ALSO GONNA TRY TO GET SOME POWDERED PEE!! LOL! WELL I HOPE I DON'T LOSE YET ANOTHER PLANT TONIGHT. I JUST WATERED IT AND MIRACLE GROWED IT. I HAVE SOME CAYENNE PEPPER, SO I WILL TRY THAT FOR TONIGHT. WELL, THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR WONDERFUL WABBIT WEAPONS! LOL LOL LOL

THANKS KRIKET
  11. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I would use whatever you can sweep up. Spread it out. The wabbits will think there is a BIG dog in the garden and keep away.

God Bless.
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

sprinkling cayenne pepper and red pepper all around the plants. we may have a sneezing rabbit tonight!

Kriket
  13. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

but they'll sure think twice about eating those HOT veggies! Burn they lil tongues! LOL

Good job!

God Bless.
  14. kriket

kriket New Member

I just went outside to look at my garden and a now I have a pepper plant missing. I'm about to pull his ears off. LOL Well we may not have any vegetables left, but we will have some healthy little critters.

Kriket
  15. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

We were over-taken by rabbits as well. We put up a fence and it has solved the problem. Has to be chicken wire or something with small openings that they can't easliy chew through.

Good luck,

SOfi
  16. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I'm sorry. Have you tried the dog hair or pee yet? I'm curious if either helped.

Have you ever tried hasenpfeffer? LOL (That's german for "wabbit stew")

God Bless.
  17. kriket

kriket New Member

I put a little bit of dog hair in garden just today, maybe that will help. Is there any other place to buy the pee at besides online?

Kriket
  18. kriket

kriket New Member

LOL I may just have to do that. We have 4 inside dogs and 3 outside dogs, but they are soooo lazy I don't think they could chase a rabbit if they wanted to. LOL

Kriket
  19. bct

bct Well-Known Member

I've been using this stuff for four years now with very good results. It comes in a ready to use sprayer and is specifically for rabbits and deer. Deer are my main garden problem, but as long as I use this stuff, it does what it says.

Active ingrdients are Putrescent Egg Solids and Garlic. Very smelly at first (everyone will run away!), but this quickly subsides.

You spray it right on the plants, even veggies (but obviously not before eating.)

Otherwise you might try a floating row-cover like Remay. That will also keep out bugs.
  20. kriket

kriket New Member

Where do you get the liquid fence at? I've never heard of it.

Kriket