racing brain at night hits the road

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judywhit, Jun 3, 2003.

1. judywhit

judywhit New Member

This might be to easy and perhaps just one of those "fixes" that is going to work for a month or so. But, for me it is working for now.
    As most of you know I am one of the many on the board who suffer from insomnia. The racing mind is part of my problem but not the entire.
    For the racing brain I read an article that said replace any thoughts with short one or two words. So, here goes. I feel silly posting this!!!! When the thoughts creap in I repeat "bing, bang" over and over. About 15 bing bangs and the brain mellows out.
    My hubby says i am a complete "Ding, Dong"
    It works and I read this from a very reputable sleep center. So fellow insomniacs and racers...start binging and banging. :)
    Judy
  2. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Don't worry, we won't tell anyone about your new ritual.....(ha ha)

Seriously, I'm glad you posted this because my daughter seems to be suffering from racing brain symptoms. Her brain keeps her from falling asleep at night. I have copied your message and sent it to her.

Thanks again!
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Let me know if it works, then I can eliminate the Xanax at night.
    Since you are trying 'bing bang' I think I will go with your husbands version; 'Ding, Dong', just so long as I don't need to do the Archie Bunker; 'Dig Bat'!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I either focus on a word or my own breathing, rather than, thoughts...it helps you to let go...right hemisphere of the brain, rather than the left hemisphere (rational thinking)...Left hemisphere can really get you into trouble...
  5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

How about a ring ding?

Will have to try this.
    Lynn
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Here I sit, at 4:35 am., with my brain racing and my stomach growling, and a cat trying to "help" me type! Anything is worth a try.....I wonder if this is why counting sheep works...numbers are very short words....
    Klutzo
  7. Lendi

Lendi New Member

Do you suppose people would think I was nuts if I wander around all day saying Ding Dong? LOL Seriously, I don't get sleepy enough to go to bed without my med to help. Actually, the meds don't make me sleepy, either but do calm me to the point where I can try to sleep. Maybe that's where the Ding Dong would help. I don't even take naps much. Just lie there exhausted and wishing I would go to sleep. When I'm awake, my brain is running, that's just the way it is.
  8. Dayle

Dayle New Member

JUST WANTED TO SEND A BIG THANKYOU!!! I WILL TRY THIS TONIGHT!!!!
    BLESSINGS,,,,DAY
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Making a simple sound or repeating several words calms the brain waves and raises our vibrations higher, away from earthly cares. This is how meditation relaxes us and allows us to "tune into" the Universe.

There are CD's, I have a set, which use sound vibrations to induce certain brain waves. They really work. I love to listen to the one which induces Delta brain waves just before bedtime.

Getting lots of natural light by going outside every day and exercising help to fall asleep at night. Keeping the lights low in the evening and then keeping the bedroom dark at night also help with sleep.

Or, y'all can do what I do and gulp down some Klonopin and sleep like a baby for 8 hours. Like everything else, though, Klonopin doesn't work for everyone.

Love, Mikie

10. loopyloo

loopyloo New Member

I have a tape called The Enchanted Forest by David sun
    which has sounds of the rain forest, with rain ,birds,ect
    it works for me
    Loopyloo xx
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

This is what happens when I count sheep, first I count, then the otherside of my brain kicks in, then I am naming them.
    Then I try to figure out what colors they are, then I wonder how many breeds of sheep are in the world.

Before I know it, I am out of the bed, looking for a book on 'Sheep' to satisfy curiosity.

Soooooo, I will have to stay with my Xanax and forget all the chanting things!

Could this be something to do with the fact that I am lefthanded?? My brain works wrong, or is miss-firing all the time?

Shalom, Shirl
  12. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I hear what your saying shirl! If I counted a anmal I would be naming them too and wondering what color i should make them. So wierd. With the "bing bang" mantra there is nothing to think about. It has worked for one week! still having a difficult time sleeping but my brain is still which is a first. I tried rubbing my tummy as Jody suggested but it took to much effort and my arm started to hurt. Bing and bong it is.
    Have been try the melatonin and I wake up with such a headache and also kind of deppressed. Going to stop this I think. I do have a pharmicutical time released one coming in the mail...will see if this is a better kind.
    I need sleep!!!
    Judy
  13. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

When my brain won't shut up I take a deep breath through my nose & hold it as long as I can, then as I release through my mouth I say (in my mind) reeeeelaaaaaxxxxx. After about 4 or 5 repetions I'm gone!

I take Klonopin before bed, but when my mind won't quit, the Klonopin does nothing.

Take care.....Kathi
  14. marta

marta New Member

I just had to say that I laughed until I had tears running down my face relating to Shirl's description of what would happen if she counted sheep.

That's so ME!

Marta
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That is a riot!!! I can picture ewe now.

Love, Mikie
  16. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Loved Shirl's Reply. My worst experience trying to sleep was as a college student. I lived in an apartment in the sheep barn, where we worked off our rent. (U. C. Davis, California). There was a ewe named Moose who was a real pain, she didn't want to mother her lamb so she was locked up. She bawled constantly, right outside my door. Loud. I counted how many ways to make mutton stew, but still couldn't fall asleep.
    Tibbiesheep
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

That was so cute, that would be the only thing I would not do, look for a recipe to cook sheep!!! I tried it once, and it did not meet with my taste buds apporval at all.

I could just picture you sleeping in a sheep barn, what a trip.................

Shalom, Shirl
  18. Dayle

Dayle New Member

I wake up a good 2-3xs each night,, So, I got to try lots of different words. Like DING,DONG ,,,, DING,DANG,,,even RIN,TIN ,,,, they do seem to help. I really needed some help as I have just stopped taking anti-depressants.
    Thanks for the suggestion I hope others will give it a try.
    Blessings,,,Day