"Racing Brain"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BILLCAMO, Jun 9, 2008.

BILLCAMO New Member

Is a common problem for people with our DD's.

Could we make a list of non-RX approaches to help soothe the "savage brain" ? A brain storm while we're not trying to sleep could be helpful. :>)

Thanks !

Blessings ,

2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Hi honey, hope I didn't keep you awake.
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

The Yasko approach suggests the following to reduce excitotoxicity.

No MSG, aspartame, trans fats, partially hydrogenated oil, no hydrolized vegatable protein, spices, artificial flavors, natural flavors, etc.

Read book by Dr. Russell Blaylock, Excitotoxins, the taste that kills.

Reduce Glutamate and increase GABA

• Branched Chain Amino Acids
    • Pycnogenol
    • Grape Seed Extract
    • GABA
    • Valerian Root

Hope this helps,
  4. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

My daughter and I suffered terribly with this ill side effect of CFS. So far Klonopin has been the ONLY thing that has tamed this beast.

5. SGR

SGR New Member

You might try in addition to GABA, theanine, holy basil might also help. My son reports that melatonin calmed him down.
  6. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Bill,

Perque B-12 works well for me. I started a thread entitled <a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=1197325&B=FM#1197325">Perque B12 - Help for anxiety / agitated exhaustion ?</a> where I related my experience with it.

Regards, Wayne
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

Dr. Ashok Gupta's 'amygdala training' DVD may help, it's $190 but guaranteed 100% refunded if you don't 'see results' in 6 months.

Cort Johnson at phoenix cfs is doing a blog on his trying it, you might be interested in it as he reports the same problems with racing thoughts:

all the best,

8. twerp

twerp New Member

Hi Wayne, I see some other B-12 lozenges out there which are much more inexpensive than Perque's.

Can you explain why Perque's are better?

9. xphile

xphile New Member

I have "Racing brain" too. Melatonin does calm me somewhat but there is one drawback at least if you're susceptible to it. It can cause severe depression even in small doses. Valerian root works OK for me if I haven't had it in a while and Klonopin works very well. Also when my doctor has me on Ambien that seems to work very well. If you're looking for something over the counter that may work well I find that sometimes "Sleep MD" works very well. While it has Melatonin in it there isn't enough or the mixture of other herbs doesn't cause depression when you take it. You may want to give it a try! Good luck.

10. victoria

victoria New Member

L-Theanine, an amino acid, may be of help also...

11. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Twerp,

Regarding Perque B-12 -- Perque B-12 is a somewhat specialized form of Vitamin B-12, and I think the form is technically called Hydroxocobalamin B-12. It is part of the methylation cycle block (MCB) protocol that is discussed here on this board and recommended by Richvank.

I have taken methylcobalamin B-12 shots in the past for several years, and got some benefit from them. Something eventually told me to quit taking this particular form.

Since taking the Perque B-12 however, I feel it acts differently in my body, and feels better to me. I also like the fact that I don't have to do the shots any more!

Regarding tests done for B-12 levels, I think I've heard they are not particularly reliable. Just because B-12 is detected in the blood does not mean that it is in a form that is bioavailable to the body.

I believe the bioavailability of Perque B-12 is apparently why it can be more effective, especially when trying to affect the body's methylation cycle. I've suspected that the Perque B-12 does allow my methylation cycle to raise glutathione levels and increase detoxification efficiency. This might in turn reduce some of the irritating toxins that affect us neurologically, including a racing brain. I think there are other mechanisms at work as well producing some of the calming effects.

Another woman (renehicks) on this board got some rather extraordinary results using a different form of B-12 to significantly improve her sensory overload symptoms. I've pasted her post below for your convenience.

All the Best, Wayne

sensory overload in social situations 01/31/08 03:21 AM

I have had ME now for more than 20 years and sensory overload has always been a major problem. I always felt plugged in to the electricity with my head buzzing with tinitus. Quite by accident I tried sublingual 12 methycobolimine and within 20 minutes of the first dose the tinitus went and I had a calming feeling all through my body for the first time in those 20 years.

There was a small research study that was ignored that showed pw ME/FMS had high homosisteine and low B12 in their spinal fluid. As the methyl type of B12 is the only one present in the brain and it is now known that the methyl pathway is blocked in many with ME maybe many of us cannot convert dietery B12 to the methyl form... It worked for me but I still have to pace very carefully regarding social stimulus.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2008]
  12. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've gotten this from food additives. You need to make sure you are cutting out all the stuff that causes it. Aspartame, MSG, sodium benzoate, caffeine, chocolate, the list goes on. Don't drink sodas, switch to plain club soda. Don't use any artificial sweeteners.

I also get the racing brain thing from too much stimuli. Big stores like Walmart will bring it on. Too many sights, sounds, smells.

Benadryl helps sometimes, Valerian, all the calming herbs.

BILLCAMO New Member

Lately , I've been lucky and not having as much problems with this. Brain dead , yes, but not much racing brain. LOL.

This query was mainly for my wife and others who are currently fighting this sleep deprivation condition. Indeed , she did not go to sleep until around 5 AM this morning. ;>{

Unfortunately , she is magnesium intolerant. All her usual approaches had little positive effect. And she was having one heck of a time with leg cramps too. (I wish that abuse hadn't forced low dose Quinine products off the OTC market.)

I'm afraid that B-12 may not help her either. We both use this for a small energy gain. If she used that at night , we might be faced with a "semi racing wife" with leg cramps situation. LOL !

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2008]
  14. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

what about making a poultice or salve with epsom salts, magnesium sulfate.

You could dissolve it in a bit of water then add it to lotion or oil.

She could soak in it as a bath or do a foot bath.

There are other forms of magnesium as well that may be tolerated better. Just learned of a new one today and I can't remember the name of it. I will post it when I find the link again.

Magnesium is one of the most important minerals and I just can't imagine not being able to tolerate it. It really is very important in many ways. Drs. give magnesium injections.

Good luck,

15. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have this problem but mine is due to bipolar. I don't take any meds. to calm me down so I have to find more nautral ways to calm down. I practice something called mindfulness. You focus all your energy on 1 thing. Be it washing a dish, putting on lotion, gardening, taking a walk, reading a book...anything that you can totally focus on completely. It takes practice but can be done. I do this at night when I am trying to fall asleep. And during the day I keep it quiet when things seem to be going to fast. No tv,maybe some soothing music.

Hope that you an get some positive results soon.

16. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Years ago I had to be seen by a neuro doc for what he said was a familial tremor. It got so extreme that people were always asking me if I had Parkindson's Disease.

He put me on a very low dose of Klonopin for it and I have learned that as long as I take my daily dose of it, I don't have the problem with the "racing brain." If I do try to go without it, and I have tried as there is so much talk about how addictive the benzos are, then my brain just goes nuts.

I have gone back and forth with myself as to whether or not I should still be on the Klonpin. I know all the arguments about addiction and all. But I need it anyway, for the tremor and to have some quality of life. And in twenty years now, I have never gone up on my dosage. Maybe this could help you?
  17. twerp

twerp New Member

Thanks very much for your reply to my quesion, as well as the additional information you provided. It's very much appreciated.

18. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I know what your wife is dealing with. I've got it too. I fought my sleeping disorder for years with less and less success as time went on. I've finally just gone with it and have found that in my case I have to sleep in a separate room from my hubby for starters.

My sleep schedule is on a swing shift that follows my menstrual cycle so I'm up during the day for about a week then gradually I fall asleep later and later at night until I'm up all night for about a week, then gradually my sleep cycle works it's way around the clock til I'm up all day again for a week. This has gone on for years now and I'm so much happier not trying to fight it and my sleep quality is much better.

Since i'm up all night or 1/2 the night so much I do my work then during that time and I've taken up star gazing which is best in the early morning hours anyway. I also try to schedule my appts. during the time of the month when I'm up during the day.

I can't take supps or meds either. Sometimes my body wants to sleep for a few hours then be awake a few hours then sleep again for a few hours too. I just go with the flow.

The other thing I do is I listen to calming tapes of people talking, like guided meditation etc... and when I wake up in the middle of my sleep cycle I turn it back on. Concentrating on what they have to say gets my mind to focus and stops the racing. Sometimes music works but when my mind's really racing I need words to latch onto.

[This Message was Edited on 06/10/2008]
  19. cruizon

cruizon New Member

Hi all

I am wondering what you all mean by racing brain? I have had problems for many years with what I always called brain overload and meaning that I cannot stop thoughts from constantly going on and through my head. It wears me out.
    It is like a separate mind of its own.

Is that what you all are talking about?

20. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That's it. It's awful, huh?

I forgot to mention that being on my laptop helps as does tv when I'm awake. Usually conversation in person with other people doesn't help me because they go too slow LOL and I'm already thinking of 40 other things or the same thing 40 times before they reply. It's those repetitive thoughts that really drive me crazy.

Playing a game like cards or something can help too if you are stuck visiting with people.