Radically New Sleep Drug (surovexant) Could Help ME/CFS and FM Patients This Year

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals for ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia' started by CortJ, Jul 22, 2013.

1. CortJ

CortJ Moderator

Sleep Help on the Way for ME/CFS and FM? Promising Sleep Drug Expected to Hit the Market This Year

Experts are predicting the FDA will approve its first new drug for insomnia in over thirty years. Faced mostly with using anti-hypnotics that basically hammer the brain to sleep, people with ME/CFS/FM may welcome the first drug to specifically target the sleep centers of the brain.

Find out how better sleep may be in your future in

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2013/07/22/help-for-sleep-me-cfs-fibromyalgia-coming-suvorexant-expected-to-hit-market-this-year/
  2. mbofov

mbofov Member

Thanks, Cort - looks interesting. I am a little puzzled though when your blog states that most sleep drugs work by turning off GABA neurotransmitters and receptors. I always thought it was GABA which helped us sleep (e.g., l-theanine is very calming and relaxing and helps the brain produce GABA)

Anyways, a drug that does not bludgeon us into sleep and does not cause dependence sounds promising!

Mary
  3. CortJ

CortJ Moderator

Did
    Did I say that? Ouch! I meant the opposite....They turn on GABA - you're right....

It certainly does sound promising :)

Thanks
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

GABA receptors are post-synaptic receptors ie they have an influence after synaptic transmission thereby exerting "fine" control over neuronal transmission. They act at different levels and their function is not simple.
    Basically there are 3 different gaba receptors:
    GABA-A: ion channel control by tonic inhibition and tend to be agonized by the barbiturates etc so favoring decrease waking, increased slow-wave sleep and enhanced intermediate stage sleep
    GABA-B: increase brain-activated behavioral states, waking and paradoxical sleep or dreaming stage sleep
    GABA-C: increases waking at the expense of slow-wave sleep and paradoxical sleep. Also highly present in the retina and the visual brain.

Basically these receptors vary depending on the area of the brain and sometimes function as "activators" while in other areas function as "inhibitors".

While there are individual differences the GABA-C receptor is more sensitive to GABA. Some animal research has shown that spinal gaba-c antagonism increases pain threshold. Possibly having some bearing on the widespread pain syndromes.

The interplay between these receptors is an area of very new research but the value of GABA supplementation has not been scientifically studied other than from function of the sleep drugs.
  5. IanH

IanH Active Member

6. IceRaven3

IceRaven3 Member

No one could use this more than I could! I have been on Ambien for 5 years. I have a closet full of stuff I don't remember ordering online. I cook whole meals at night and don't remember a thing. I have tried weaning off, but my insomnia is so bad, I get sick from sleep deprivation. Herbals don't work at all, and I have tried all natural, meditation, sleep tapes, homeopathic and every other thing known to mankind. I'm a slave to this damn drug and I hate it! I am hoping that the clinic in Atlanta can help me when we move next month.
    AimeeAT likes this.
  7. AimeeAT

AimeeAT Member