Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hambys97, Apr 12, 2007.

1. hambys97

hambys97 New Member

My pain management doc performed the series of pain blocker injections bilaterally in my lumbar region. This helped for a very short period (2 weeks), and then faded away. He has referred me to have this procedure done, and I'm just not sure that I am ready to do this. I have been hearing many mixed views regarding it.
    For those of you with FM, have you had this or know someone who has it? Did it help? If it didn't, were there any other complications?
    Thanks for the information!

Blessings,
    Angie
  2. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Hambys97,

I have had the lumbar injections also..... had the procedure to have the nerves destroyed in lumbar region. I had the right side done on March 14, the left side on March 28.

Have been told it can take 3-4 weeks for the nerves to die off.............. have had the pain in the low back and buttocks, hip area off and on.........since the proceedure. So, time will tell I guess.

I have DDD in the spine.....After the procedure I had a FM flare that was a killer......I made the mistake of going to work the next day....so the 2nd one I had the Pain Doctor take me off of work....that was a good move.....good luck, Angie I wish you well on what you deside to do.
    I'll keep you informed on my results...

Also it was not too bad of a procedure, uncomfortable yes...they can not give you something to numb the area, they need you to tell them when you feel pressure. If they go too far it could hit large nerves....
    I had a pain management doctor, an anethesiologist do it.
    Good luck and wish you well.
    Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2007]
  3. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

I have had the radiofrequency to my neck 4 times, and each times it has helped. It takes about 3 weeks to get the full effect, and is suppose to last up to 6 months.

Mine starts to wear off after 4 months. And then I would have the 2 months I had to wait in so much pain, so I have opt for the duragic patch for right now.

Good Luck It was a miracle for me as long as it lasted. And also helped my shoulder. Brenda
  4. ETN

ETN New Member

I have ddd and facet joint syndrome and I have had this done twice and it has helped me out tremendously...

I think I am ready for another one...

I have a very high pain tolerance and boy it did hurt some..they even gave me stuff but I was still major uncomfortable..

I had 8 injections where they numb it...4 on each side..then he goes back in and does 8 needles and does the burning....

I can feel when it's wearing off..

I would say do it...what have you got to lose...

Its worked great for ME so good luck!
  5. ETN

ETN New Member

why would they make you wait..if yours wears off in 4 why won't they just do it again..

everyone's nerves are different and could grow at a different time..ya know.

is it something with the insurance or is it the dr?

Boy it's expensive too huh...

Mine have been 10,000 each ....CRAZY
  6. swehling

swehling New Member

I had it done about a month ago, and started to have results after an extreemly painful week before it kicked in. They said this would happen. So- I waited. Finally at night I can turn over w/out it feeling like broken glass being scraped on the inside of my back. I'm also having aqua therapy, which has agrivated the muscles, so I'm in a little more pain- but I must build my abdoninals back in order to support the back again.
    I'd say go for it if your insurance will pay.

It really is not that painful, as a proceedure. I'll have it done again if needed.
    Susan
  7. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

I dont know why. But I was told I could not have the precedure but every 6 months. And like someone esle said it is kind of painful, and then it takes about 3 weeks to get the full effect, and I only get 4 months of releive, so when I do my math, I really only get 3 months and 1 week.

But everyone is different, the first one did last longer. Do you have insurance? Good luck. Brenda
  8. ETN

ETN New Member

I have insurance and very good insurance thank god.....

I have so many procedures done to my neck and back and so many appts it's ridiculous...

I had three appts this past week and I am worn out...

well 3 months is better than none..

OH I get relief right away..I can tell a difference!

:)