Rafiki - Capsaicin Cream

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

saw your post about capsaicin cream, I had never heard of it but googled it. Looks like it might help the neuropathy in my feet and I see that we do get it here in UK - it makes me mad that my doc has never suggested it but thats how it is here.

Anyway going to ask him for prescription and try it out.

So thanks to you for posting about it.

[This Message was Edited on 10/21/2008]
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there -
    Over here in the US, you don't need a prescription for it. You can buy it at any drug store - if it's the same cream I'm thinking of. You just have to be very careful not to use too much as it burns. Also wash your hands immediately afterwards and do not touch your eyes!

Capsazin is helpful for muscle and sometimes joint pain. We used to use it on my Mom a lot.

3. cressida

cressida New Member

It's an active component of hot chili peppers and it does help.
  4. Another thing I'd forgotten to mention to Rafiki on 'our' post, regarding TN & using that cream, was, after I'd tried it the first time for the facial nerve pain (2003, before any surgeries) my poor beagle mix, stolled up, & 'gave mommy a kiss" on the cheek, as she often does- immediately, I noticed her licking, continually, hubby was baffled... and somewhat amused- then it hit me like a ton of bricks

I said "OH! OMG, she licked my face! she's got that stuff on her tongue!" Luckily, also I knew, I told hubby to pick her water dish up, (water as we know, makes peppers/ hot foods, etc MUCH HOTTER!) and I got a little milk out of the fridge, to help 'neutralize' the hot.

It worked, but, i think my sweet dog Katie was very confused for a bit.

Just another thing to be very aware of, as well as washing your hands very veryyyyy well, and not rubbing your eyes, etc.

Gotta watch out for our pets, (and even other family, that may touch an area that has the cream on it,).

Best wishes,

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Yes, Laura, Capsaicin is OTC in Canada and the US. Maybe you can get it online or if you know someone in the US they could send. I try to get friends in the US to get it for me because it's much cheaper -- about 50%.

And, big yes to everyone and their cautions. The instructions that come with the cream must be followed to the T.

Start with the low dose and work your way up. Let the feeling of warmth completely diminish before reapplying as the nerve must go through the entire cycle in order for it to work.

Use plastic gloves or cover your fingers with plastic wrap/bag/etc. before applying. No matter how hard I've tried to wash it off I never can completely.

Don't let your dog kiss you! Another good one!

Don't touch your eyes or any other sensitive areas with capsaicin. I will not specify the other sensitive areas but, trust me, there are places you really don't want this!

Do not apply and step into a hot shower!!! I once did this and ended up naked in my kitchen with my face stuck in the freezer.

It seems very complicated and difficult at first but one gets used to it and it's no biggee. And, used as directed and it's a miracle.

Good luck,

PS If I miss any posts it's because I'm very confused by new digs. Sorry!