Rafiki == emu EGG CARVING

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Feb 23, 2008.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

LOL I hesitate to give you this link because, if i ever DO get a pic of the one emu egg I cut, it is nowhere near as good this guy's...

but he's been doing it a long time, that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Yes, emu eggs can somewhat be carved like a cameo but in reverse as the white is the innermost layer, not outermost...

here is a great link to see the master of emu egg carving, Gary Gunn:

[This Message was Edited on 02/24/2008]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Victoria. Why is it that the carving has to be done all at one time?

I wonder if any other eggs have layers of color?

3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I did get to the emu egg site before it was completely scrambled and they are remarkable. In fact, I gave the page a stumbleupon thumbs up and it was the first one so I got to give him a good review.

Groping my way out of here,

4. victoria

victoria New Member

Rock, I have no idea why he does it in only one sitting, I've never read that anywhere but that site actually - perhaps it's the way he has to work for personal/physical reasons?

No other eggs don't have the layers of colors, but what is neat is that as the eggs get larger (like especially the ostrich eggs) they get much much thicker than a hen's egg, so one can carve a bas-relief - very stunning! Think of the depth a dime even gives...

here's a great link to see some of the best carvings done on ostrich eggs, by Ron Cheruka: