Rafiki

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Doznclan3, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

I have looked and looked, and don't laugh now, because my memory is not good when it comes to remembering names, and this is a name, of sorts, of something that you posted a while back, quite a while. The Suma..Soma? See, but I know you will know which one I mean..at least I think you will. If not, then maybe this will spark your thought...I asked you if I could copy it. I never did. You told me that it was already mine. I just remember there were beautiful thoughts were in it. I could use some of that right now. Of course I've gone to my scriptures, they always help. I just remember something in that post that really touched me, I was even crying, I would like to read it again.
    Thank you, love, Cynthia
  2. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

I got this from Rafiki's thread...

Metta Sutta

This is what should be done
    By one who is skilled in goodness,
    And who knows the path of peace:
    Let them be able and upright,
    Straightforward and gentle in speech.
    Humble and not conceited,
    Contented and easily satisfied.
    Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.
    Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful,
    Not proud and demanding in nature.
    Let them not do the slightest thing
    That the wise would later reprove.
    Wishing: In gladness and in saftey,
    May all beings be at ease.
    Whatever living beings there may be;
    Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
    The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
    The seen and the unseen,
    Those living near and far away,
    Those born and to-be-born,
    May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
    Or despise any being in any state.
    Let none through anger or ill-will
    Wish harm upon another.
    Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings:
    Radiating kindness over the entire world
    Spreading upwards to the skies,
    And downwards to the depths;
    Outwards and unbounded,
    Freed from hatred and ill-will.
    Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
    Free from drowsiness,
    One should sustain this recollection.
    This is said to be the sublime abiding.
    By not holding to fixed views,
    The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
    Being freed from all sense desires,
    Is not born again into this world.
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm so glad the metta sutta was found for you before I got here. I have been thinking about you even since I woke. I was thinking about you as I fell asleep. I left a message for you on your other thread last night.

I think, in particular, you were moved by:

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,

and as you now learn how it is you will love your sweet Gabriel with all your heart and all your courage and all your peace, these words may come back to you with their heart rending truth.

And, of course, how it is you love your child and how you would protect her from every pain in life if only you could but you cannot. That is so very hard to bear.

Please forgive me for speaking so openly but, for a few days, we walked together in this fear although neither of us knew we were together. I was able to walk out of the shadow Tuesday night. I was very, very fortunate. The shadow will return to me, such is life. I am reminded of how we get by, I am reminded of 1 Corinthians: Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Gabriel is loved.

If I have overstepped in any way, please forgive me. I just feel so close to you right now.

from my heart to your heart,
    Rafiki
  4. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

I came on to see if this was here. Now I know why it came to mind last night. I think you are right Rafiki, the child part stayed with me, but my goodness, the whole thing is beautiful.
    Rafiki, it's funny you say you were thinking of me last night and this morning. I woke up, and started talking about you to my husband, and what was going on right now with the board. I told him how sad I felt for someone not being here now, because I know how much it meant for her, and I was telling him about you and rain, and others that have different beliefs, and what wonderful loving people you are, and how much I've enjoyed learning from you all. Goodness, the things that I didn't know about the different beliefs. To me it's a good thing to know...then I know how to pray...accordingly. :) Now I hope I haven't overstepped. You certainly have not, and I love that scripture you quoated. Yes, Gabriel is loved. He's a special little spirit indeed. I get to go and hold him later today. They only live a couple of towns over, I would say about a 20 min. drive, so, not too far.
    Thank you for everything, and this time I will copy that.
    SJ, thank you so much for taking the time to find that for me. I looked last night and just couldn't find it, so thank you for thinking of me enough to do that for me.
    rain, thank you for all of your beautiful thoughts. I started reading your longer post, got half way through, and thought, I have to read this when I'm not so tired! There was a lot I certainly could relate to.
    Thank you all for your love, I do feel of it. Love, Cynthia
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

And I am learning much about many things including Christian kindness. I do think it can be a special kindness inspired, as it is, by Christ.

I wish I could go and cuddle our new babe but she is in another province. Give your sweet Gabriel a gentle little squeeze for all of us who welcome him into a world we will do our best to make as peaceful as we can.

Peace to you and yours,
    Rafiki