Raiding the Fridge

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimfibro, May 24, 2006.

1. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

here i was starting to take walks when feasible before the horrid humid summer begins here in New England. lost a little weight, watching what i eat. saw progress!

but, in the past week, HERE WE GO AGAIN.....raiding the fridge, the cupboards, you name it. any time of day, but mainly in the eves.

PMS: do any of you just HAVE HAVE HAVE GOT TO EAT (much more, of course) a week prior??

i know some meds can do this to ya as well. but, sorry for me, i can't blame the meds on times like these!!

jelly beans, peanut butter sandwiches, lite ice cream, toast w/margarine, HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!! geezm, i feel like a kid in a candy store sometimes when simply toast feels like a treat!

2. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i've been up and awake since 4am. it's been an ongoing, sort of 'new' problem for me.

started seeing a therapist recently.

yes, i'm depressed. and on lexapro for a few years. feeling out of control on lots of levels lately...and now arrives pms. ugh.

hey, what's in YOUR fridge??? :)
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, I do it especially at night...I am so fat I sure don't need to eat..

I will stand with the fridge and pantry open looking for something to eat, then when I eat seems like that wasn't what I wanted, just didn't satisfy the hunger..

It may be depression as I do have anxiety/depression but as of now not on an AD but am taking xanax..

Don't have an answer but know what you are talking about..

I have got to do something about this cause I have gaind 8 lbs..and need to lose a 100...

I have noticed the increase in the hunger since I have been taking my vitimans and supplements regularly..Not sure if there is a connection ...

God Bless,
    greatgran
  4. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i take alprazolam (xanax) as well. my scrip is 3x day as needed. yours? i think mine is 25mg.

does it help you? it helps me. but i don't take it at night; it's a daytime, stress time aid.

let's try not to open our fridges.....impossible?? lately for me it seems to be. but i'm mad at myself enough to keep it closed as of last night's eating spree.

am hoping i feel up to walking to my son's school today w/our neighbor's dog so we can walk home together. as long as it's not HOT (doubt it will be) i'll do it.

okay, LET'S TRY!!!!!! :)

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Does anyone here like pretzels? they are almost fat free -crunchy -and alittle salty! if i just eat a hand full when i'm really hungry it will usualy subside the hunger!.......................................................................Sweathooth is another story!! also i keep apples and bannanas around ! just a couple of ideas ! hate to diet but have to!!....................................good thing i have the dogs around to take me out for walks lol
  6. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i have bananas, salad, plain micro popcorn, the whole bit.

but my trouble is lately: i'm sick and tired of them and suddenly want the stuff i usually try to avoid.

went out for an ice cream cone w/my son last night: but, wait, i ordered frozen yogurt instead!!!!

does that count?? silly me, i feel proud of the choice. ha!
  7. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I am taking that medicine which is known as Elavil and causes me to eat more. At times like you I have cravings and it is not a medication, I figure it is just the fibro/cfs messing up my stomach.

So I learned that I have to know how to combat the medications and unusual cravings. So I crave lots of fruits such as watermelon, which is good, as there is some fiber in there, along with vitamins and minerals. I am also getting the necessary water into my system.

I crave lots of fruits and raw veggies. So I eat those, so if it seems like I am eating a lot, it is in those areas.
    If I am craving something salty, I will eat a piece of avocado, and sprinkle a little salt on it, and that curbs my salt crave hunger.

I am really glad that I change my diet and crave the healthy foods over the bad foods. The bad foods if I have any of it, makes me really ill.

I never thought I would become such a health nut LOL.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2006]
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Kim, I take my xanax during the day as well, usually first thing of the morning, noon and afternoon..Don't need them at night like I do during the day..I take them every day, some days I will miss a dose..Maybe its addiction but when I don't take them my head feels so strange..

Xanax has been the only med that I can say that has helped me..With the fatigue, aches and the anxiety..My Rx is for .05 three to four times a day but I cut them in half so I am taking .25 but do take them every day..Have for 5 years now and probably will the rest of my life..My doc said I could increase the dose if needed...

SO, last Sat. I wanted to take a trip with my husband, and out of town day trip..I wasn't sure if I could make it but I took my xanax, think I had four that day..Made the trip and came home and actually slept 7 hrs. woke up the next day and felt ok...Then tried to cut back and the misery of the anxiety and the cfs was slowly returning so may up them for the weekend..

Would like to hear more about how they help you...

God Bless,
    greatgran
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

ssri's increase my appetite usually and instantly just swell up...they are not good for me...

and i deal w/major depression ansiety...now i am taking klonopin at night..and my athritis pill for tendonitis and bursisits as well...

first off stop using margarine...bad bad bad for you heart....pure butter is better to use than that...i had this disagreement w/my x-fil...well it took a double bypass and the cardio nutritionist to convince him i was right all of these years...

olive oil...is great too...

yogurt full of sugars...i have to watch my sugar intake cause for some darn reasons i swell up ...it's like my body is allergic too...

welli have to go eat some oatmeal right now...

but i would try cutting out all sugars...sugar will increase your appitite also..eat more apples and fruit the good sugars for you...

jodis
  10. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

In the fibro book that I have it says that people with fibro crave carbs,I really think it's true.
    My downfall is chocolate,popcorn and just about everything I can get my hands on!
    Take Care,
    Mary
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

I hear you!! i also love icecream!! but yeah the frozen yougart choice is great! I know they have low fat ice cream. It's not the same i know!!......................................But if i only have a half cup it seems to stop the craving! You are doing a great job!! also i get sugar free instant jello pudding and mix it up with skim or 1% milk and that works too! You sound like your a great mom and role modle for your son!!..........sisland
  12. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

however, i must be weak. or weakening. or freaking!! :)

seriously, for a month i was eating the right things. out of the blue comes this vicious feeding frenzy. can't help but think shark.

ya know, i'm 47 so perhaps hormones. perhaps it's just pms (THIS craving bit will be the record breaker!). i've gained about 40 lbs over a year and a half. so could simply be the lexapro or the xanax.

speaking of xanax, greatgran, they do indeed help. when i get too stressed they calm me. i was told their lasting quality is about an hour to 2 hours. if you ever have trouble sleeping you could try one before bedtime. they do make me drousy at times.

well, folks, guess i'm just plain chowin' down and cannot understand it. all your great advice is very much appreciated. *********

kim
  13. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Salt and chocolate, possibly the LAST things I "need" but what I love.

I did finally find a decent dessert. Weight Watchers has a "GIANT" line, as in "Giant Ice Cream Cup"...

Generally, WW has nothing that would meet my definition of "GIANT". However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it actually is a large cup of low-fat ice cream with a fudge swirl - only 130 calories. Not for the Splenda sensitive however.

I, too, have night eating issues. Meds can cause carbohydrate cravings or, even more insidiously, make you feel physically hungry, stomach growling, and everything when you do not need the food. Love the human endocrine system - NOT.

Trying to only put healthy food in, but sometimes I just can't help it either - I want that darn SUGAR! Fat is what makes food taste good, that's why we like it and why we prefer cake over a stick of celery.

I have tried every trick in the book - chromium picolinate, eating mini-meals throughout the day to prevent insulin spikes and troughs. Well, I gained weight on the mini-meal plan, even though it is supposed to boost your metabolism.

Hoodia Gordonii worked for me, but I stopped taking it when I got put on Adderall - because I need to watch my BP closely.

My next try is 5-HTP - it's a serotonin precursor that is supposed to elevate mood and suppress the appetite. It just arrived today. I plan on being careful and monitoring my vital signs to make sure BP okay and bipolar stays stable. I'll let you know if it helps.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

14. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

how it works for you.

we're supposed to have rain/t'storms this weekend. wonderful. means the fridge (or someone else's) could be closer at hand than i thought...

i suppose i could drive to the mall and just walk around. but if my right hip and most of my back do not feel better soon (pain woke me) it won't be an option.

by the way, i'm saddened to say last night was not a WW situation. had what i 'needed' to. UGH. and :(