RALPH - please, opinion re. a theory to lower cholesterol . . .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Aug 30, 2005.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Hi Ralph,

You have me thinking about cholesterol again after I read your post to Mikie. I think I'll get the book that you recommended to her, "The Cholesterol Myths" by Uffe Ravnskov, MD.

I have also been struggling with the cholesterol / gallbladder phenomena. When I was about 24, I had my gallbladder removed after several years of very bad attacks, and after the doctor finally ordered an x-ray and saw so many stones that the gallbladder was about to rupture and the surgery was urgent. The doc was surprised that I had gallbladder problems, not the typical picture, I was thin and not on birth control pills. The years after having the surgery were the years that I believe that the FMS/CFS started.

After I was diagnosed with FMS, I began to develop a theory related to gallbladder function and elevated levels of cholesterol (since I was then told that my cholesterol was high and needed medication). I began to study everything that I could find, and read that there were possible links to elevated cholesterol and gallbladder malfunction. In fact, I read that elevated levels of cholesterol could be a result of lack of bile. It seems that a neurotoxin links to bile from the gallbladder. If the gallbladder is malfunctioning or absent, the neurotoxin may not be removed from the body and are reabsorbed causing hypercoagulation. In turn, hypercoagulation has shown a link to FMS and CFS. Whew!

Bear with me as I quote something that I saved during the course of my reading. I found the exerpt below in the Allergy Research Group newsletter, "Focus", dated August 2002:

<i>“Additionally, binding therapy with the cholesterol-lowering drug Cholestyramine is an option in treating some of these patients. This drug has a complimentary positive charge to the generally negative charge of the neurotoxin and as the neurotoxin-bile complex passes the Sphincter of Oddi where bile is released from the gallbladder, it binds neurotoxins linked to bile, which can then not be reabsorbed. Prolonged use of Cholestyramine has proven to be disappointing in patient out-comes whereby the infection is of a chronic nature. Cycling of Cholestyramine has been utilized (5 days on, 10 days off) or an early AM single dose for several months.

In our clinical experience we have found that venous Phospholipid Exchange is one of the most efficient ways of clearing the liver and biliary tree which are paramount in addressing neurotoxic syndromes. Oral use of phospholipids in a Liver Flush is also an effective intervention."</i>

<b>OK - here is the point:</b> Perhaps the idea of taking a phospholipid in place of a statin would lower cholesterol.

Good supplements can be found in:

Lecithin, found in soybeans and other seeds as well as in eggs, or by taking the <i>Neptune Krill Oil</i> sold on this website's store. The omega-3s (EPA and DHA) in krill oil are present as phospholipids.

I may just try takiing an oral phospholipid rather than continue on the statin medication I'm on.

Thanks for making me think! Please let me know what you think of this idea that has been "waving" around in my head. I'm sorry if I haven't made the idea clear enough, I hope that I have so that you can provide me some feedback about the idea of taking phospholipids. I appreciate your suggestions as to what to take, commentaries, etc.

Best wishes & thanks again! Jeannette
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I just ordered some lecithin and some Cholacol online. It took a while to find a source for the Cholacol, think I'll check with my DC to see if he carries it or can get it.

When I go to see my MD, I'll let her know what I'm doing and then see about easing off the statin. She's an internist, so tends to push meds; however, she has been pretty open to my seeking alternative trts and different ideas.

Yes, I think a lot of my challenges are due to not having the gallbladder. I had mine out 34 years ago and felt so good after having it out, I got pregnant for a 3rd time! Needless to say, the pregnancy on top of the surgery to remove the gallbladder (use to be quite severe for those who don't know) left my poor body in a way that would never normalize.

I appreciate you help with this and for answering the question. I'll keep you posted on how it all goes.

Jeannette