Rambling..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 3sa, Oct 24, 2008.

1. 3sa

3sa New Member

I applied for ssdi in July. Tues. I went to my mental exam. I left in tears & feeling less than intelligent.I tried to complete the test he gave me, but I kept getting confused. I went to my physical exam on Wed. & left in tears again due to pain . The Dr. told me 1) I'm overweight (duh I weigh 309 & I'm 5'5"). 2) My joints are just about shot( his words). 3) My mood was bad.
    I was wondering though he did one test that I didn't really feel & he said it was for neuroapthy ( can't spell) . He took a tuning fork thing and put it on my ankles. I only felt a little vibration.Was I supposed to feel something?
    Ah well. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed & waiting.
    I just had to talk to someone. Thanks for reading. Theresa
  2. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

Hi Theresa,

Thank you for sharing what happened with your mental and physical exams. I am also applying for SSDI and I go for my mental exam on Tuesday, then my physical exam on Nov. 4th. I'm kind of dreading them, afraid they will tell me I'm not sick enough, even though I know I can't work. I'm just afraid of these doctors who think its all in our heads and all that crap. What was the test that the mental exam doc gave you to do? Interesting about the tuning fork thing at the physical exam. Odd...

Thanks again,

Sharon
  3. 3sa

3sa New Member

I completely understand that fear. The crazy thing is that I'm afraid they will say I'm fine to work, but I'm also afraid they will agree I can't work. I still have trouble dealing with the fact that this is real & I probably will never be able to wait tables again, or be as active as I want to be. It may just be caused by my not feeling well right now.
    The mental exam was alot of memory test. I had to copy different shapes on to paper, use blocks to copy shape drawn on paper. He would tell me a story then have me repeat it through out the test. He would ask me the meaning of different words. That was hard for me. I knew what they meant , but I couldn't get them out. He also showed me pictures of 20 people and I had to remember them. Then he showed me , very quickly, 30-40 pictures & I had to pick out the faces he showed me previously. He did that 2 or 3 times. I was so confused. He had me do math problems in my head. I had to repeat a series of numbers after he said them. It wasn't very easy. I told him I used to be smart. I started crying when he asked about my family, by that point my head was spinning. I had to explain, losing a child to cancer, my father being abusive and losing our house to foreclosure , because I can't work. I was exhausted after that and it only last an hour and a half.
    Just remember that theses test seem to vary state to state, so your test may be different.

Good Luck Sharon. Let me know how it goes if you can.

Hugs,
    Theresa
    Good Luck to you.
  4. 3sa

3sa New Member

I completely understand that fear. The crazy thing is that I'm afraid they will say I'm fine to work, but I'm also afraid they will agree I can't work. I still have trouble dealing with the fact that this is real & I probably will never be able to wait tables again, or be as active as I want to be. It may just be caused by my not feeling well right now.
    The mental exam was alot of memory test. I had to copy different shapes on to paper, use blocks to copy shape drawn on paper. He would tell me a story then have me repeat it through out the test. He would ask me the meaning of different words. That was hard for me. I knew what they meant , but I couldn't get them out. He also showed me pictures of 20 people and I had to remember them. Then he showed me , very quickly, 30-40 pictures & I had to pick out the faces he showed me previously. He did that 2 or 3 times. I was so confused. He had me do math problems in my head. I had to repeat a series of numbers after he said them. It wasn't very easy. I told him I used to be smart. I started crying when he asked about my family, by that point my head was spinning. I had to explain, losing a child to cancer, my father being abusive and losing our house to foreclosure , because I can't work. I was exhausted after that and it only last an hour and a half.
    Just remember that theses test seem to vary state to state, so your test may be different.

Good Luck Sharon. Let me know how it goes if you can.

Hugs,
    Theresa
    Good Luck to you.