Random blood glucose test, results were 77 should be 100 or more?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Okay, I have thought for a while now that I might be hypoglycemic. I have done a search on hypoglycemia on this board and there are A LOT of posts about this, so I know I'm not alone.

I work in a hospital and they were having a blood glucose testing site for free. I decided to get my blood checked during my break.

Here is how they determined results:

Fasting Blood Glucose: A measurement of blood glucose taken after you have not eaten for 12 to 14 hours, the results should be 70-115.

Random Blood Glucose: A measurement of blood glucose that is taken regarless of when you last ate. Random (non-fasting) results should be between 100-140.

The test they gave me was Random, so my numbers should be at leat 100, and they were only 77.

Because this is just a test and you should take your results to your doctor, the nurses didn't say much to me about my number. But, I feel that 77 is kind of low since it should be 100 or a little more.

The reason I am concerned is because I have so many of the classic symptoms of hypoglycemia. I get shaky when I don't eat, the brain fog is awful, I can't lose weight for anything, I have palpitations occasionally if I don't eat. I can also feel pretty weak if I miss a meal.

Of course, since I have FM I wonder if it's just that, or could it be hypoglycemia along with the FM. I crave sweets like crazy and usually feel better when I eat them, but will crash too and experience an increase in fibro pain as well.

I see an integrative doctor, but I just don't know how to bring this up to her, I think she probably feels my numbers are within the "normal" range. But, we all know the "normal" range can be very tricky for FM patients.

Also, my blood glucose numbers seem to get lower and lower every time I get a general blood test. Not sure what to do. Are there any good supplemnts or diet tricks to try just to see if I feel any better? Sorry post is so long. Hugs Chelz.
  2. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

What was the last thing you ate before this test , and how long before the test did you eat ? I am a diabetic and that would make a big difference in the test.

3. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

His fiancee was worried because she suspected he may be hypoglycemic. Since I am diabetic and have a meter, I tested him one day when he came in from work. His BG's were 77 too.

I don't know what the laws are in other states, but in Tn, it is illegal to drive if your BG's are 75 or lower. I have also noticed him getting trembly when he goes too long between meals and acting a bit odd.

I plan to do random checks on him now. I really hope he is not hypoglycemic, but if he is, it needs to be known so that he can take care of himself properly. Hypoglycemia is nothing to mess around with!
  4. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

My husband is diabetic so I regularly test myself, I am hypoglycemic as was my Mother, my levels when I get hungry, like right before dinner are 67 and after I eat they are around 110. This doesn't bother me because I'd rather be hypoglycemic than diabetic. What they told my Mother to do was always carry some form of sugar with her, and a paper bag(she used to hyperventilate when her sugars were low). I just eat 6 small meals a day. Like ensure for breakfast, then a quick snack at work, lunch(not a heavy lunch) after work a get Starbucks-decaf with milk and Carmel, then we always seem to eat late, like around 7 or 8pm. But boy let me tell you as you probably already know if I don't eat I get shaky , sweaty, vvvverrrryyy bitchy and someone better get me some food quick. My husband found that out when we were dating. My brother is also the same way, its horrible and alot of people don't understand. Like last week at work one of the supervisors caught me eating pretzels with peanut butter, I told her would she rather have me have a little snack or past out! That didn't go over well, but too bad...do I have to bring a note in for everything? My husband on the other hand goes from one extreme to the next--He takes his insulin and can be just sitting there sleeping and hit 28(yes we have sweets all over the house and always OJ) When he does eat,, what he can keep down, it could days before the glucose hits his system because of his gastroparisis(his stomach and large intestines are paralyzed. So, we really have to watch everything that goes into his mouth. Right now he can only eat mashed potatoes and rice some vegs and maybe a couple of pieces of shrimp or salmon, cereal and raisin bread. Just have some candy around always or OJ or pretzels and peanut butter! Protein is a good thing! I wouldn't worry too much. But there are books or maybe even a web site that will have interesting tips for you. Good luck!
  5. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

On when you last ate and how much simple sugar/carbs were in that meal/snack. It also depends on if you have reactive hypoglycemia or not... If yo u take you sugar after not eating for 4 or 5 hours, it might well be 77 and thats normal. Its probably not normal if its a hour after you just ate a large meal... Anyways, thats based on my experience. My sugar peaks between 1-2 hours after I eat, and my fasting sugar (when I'm not hungry) is usually around 100. But if I get really hungry, I have seen it go down to 75-80..
    [This Message was Edited on 08/17/2008]
  6. Chelz

Chelz New Member

You had asked me when was the last time I ate and what did I eat. I had a bowl of vanilla crunch oat cereal with Lactaid milk (I drink Lactaid because I'm pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant) at 8:30 in the morning. I got my blood test at 11:30 in the morning, so it was 3 hours later. Thanks for asking this question!! Hugs, Chelz.
  7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Unless you have symptoms of hypoglycemia, 77 is not a bad blood sugar. Docs want the BS to be lower than 100.
  8. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

That isn't a bad blood sugar , but with the cereal ( and 'milk') you got short and long acting carbs and protien , so you would think the blood sugar might be higher , unless you were really physically active before or after you ate the food. Please know that I am not a professonal , but I have had diabetes for 20 years. It seems like your blood sugar is on the low side of normal , but it is normal .

I always say though , that if you are concerned about something , by all means , bring it up to your doctor. If you can't trust her with information , but you really like her, you might want to tell her that you just read a 'how to speak to your doctor' article ( which is a good idea !) .

Then mention the blood sugar. I did this with my doctor and she picked right up on it and has been a very good listener and responder ever since. Sometimes doctors just need to be educated !

9. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

...for an adult; 60-100ages 1 to 18. Also, the amount of protein in the breakfast you ate is not enough to buffer the carbs. 3 hours is also long enough for a normal human being to resume to fasting levels. The range for random glucose in our laboratory is 74-118. 3 hour post-prandial (after eating) is 70-105.

For anyone of you out there with symptoms of hypoglycemia I urge you to eat protein balanced meals and complex carbohydrates. Keep a protein snack with you. If you show symptoms of hypoglycemia (shakiness and sweating, palpitations, irritability) I urge you to have your doctor order a glucose challenge with insulin levels to test your body's response to a standardized load of glucose. Being hypoglycemic can indicate that your body is making too much insulin, and it is possible to wear out the Islet of Langerhans (pancreatic cells that produce insulin). If these cells overproduce insulin for too long they can shut down, leaving you an insulin-dependent diabetic.

I am a medical technologist (clinical laboratory scientist)and I am a diabetic.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2008]
  10. cntryredhead

cntryredhead New Member

I think I am hypoglycemic also. i go through these periods were I'm shaky, sweating terribly, can't think, etc. After eating something I feel better. My doctor did a fasting blood sugar test and said I was fine. My husband is diabetic so i do have access to a glucose meter. I've tested myself several times when I feel this way and my sugar has been as low as 70. My doctor says not to worry about it, but I'm always afraid i will pass out if I don't eat. This happened once when I was driving an hour out of town to the doctors. I was afraid I would have an accident. I had to eat and wait about 15 minutes before I could go any farther. My doctor is conviced they are anxiety or panic attacks, but it just doesn't make sense that food would stop the symptoms. I have chalked it up now to the Fibromyalgia.