Rant about Medicare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Sep 23, 2010.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

sorry to rant, but I am so fed up with what medicare thinks about a lot of things, but specifically two things at the moment:

one is that they believe that if you don't go to the doctor fairly often, you must not really be sick.....when maybe, just possibly, (duh!) it might be becasue you are TOO sick to be able to go, or because there are no doctors that can do anythign anyway, so it is a waste of precious energy and money

two is that they do not care at all if you can get around/function without falling in the bathroom or outside the home - the only mobility/assistive devices they will cover are those that are necessary in the home (excluding the bathroom)

.....this one is really bothering me rt now becasue I am at the point where a wheelchair would be really helpful a lot of the time, but I don't need it in my apt (& don't have the room for it there), don't really have the ability to push myself in one, don't have the ability to get it in and out of my car (unless I can get one of the more expensive, folding lightweight ones or a lift that attached to the outside of the car and carries it that way & is also really expensive).....best case would be a motorized one and a lift, but that won't be covered, second best would be either a lightweight chair or a scooter, but those aren't covered either

the only kind I could possibly afford is completely impossible for me to get in and out of the car.....can't even really afford that, & hate the idea of a chair, but am so tired of being afraid to go anywhere becasue the ME and the OI are so bad
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

but you may find that the hospital won't allow you to be released straight home unless you have someone there to be your caregiver for the first days or weeks. I know that was the case with my recent knee replacement.

And even though my doctor felt I'd come through the surgery *great!* I was still in pain and exhausted from the surgery. I was sure glad that DH and the kids were handling the cooking, laundry etc. for that first little while.

I hope your surgery goes well, but you might want to line up some help for a while.

Best wishes,
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Jamin - Was it your GP or your surgeon who said you could possibly go straight home after the surgery? My mom had her surgery last year and she was in the hospital for a week. You don't just have your surgery and go home. You have to learn how to be able to dress yourself, put on socks and shoes, how to bathe, physio exercises, how to negotiate stairs, even how to sit and get in and out of bed, etc. This isn't minor surgery that you are having. There are a lot of things that you can't do for the first six months and you have to learn alternative ways of doing things.

My mom wasn't even supposed to make meals for the first couple of months. You are going to need someone to help you at first. Even bathing is going to require someone to help you dry off afterwards.
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

When my MIL had hip surgery she was many miles away from us and had no help at home. Medicare was all she had at the time, this was about 7 years ago, and they paid for her to be in a rehab type facility acrosse the street from her hospital.

She stayed there until she was well enough to go back to her assisted living home. Have you looked into anything like this? She lived in Fla.
  5. hensue

hensue New Member

When are you having it done? My mother had it done and went back to work in two weeks.

she was on a walker first couple of days and then a cane and went back to work on a cane.

I am not sure about the new procedure but it sounds much better.

Will pray for you

Take care
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

someone to come into you home for a few hours a day and help you. Light housework, shopping and etc. I had this done for my mother for several years.

Best of luck
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

My mom wasn't offered that choice. I'm guessing that the surgeon doesn't do that particular style of surgery. It certainly would have been much better for her if she had had that type of surgery as she ended up with a vein problem on the surgical leg and a blood clot on the other leg.
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

The next time my mom is in to see her ortho surgeon she is going to question why she wasn't offered the anterior surgery because she would much rather have had that style than the one that she ended up having. Six weeks versus six months for recovery is a huge difference. I know of another woman who also had surgery last year and it was a year of her life spent on recovery as she had both hips done.
  9. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

A thought for you.

I've seen tv commercial advertising the scooter and Hooveround mentioning if you are on medicare they will do the paperwork for you to be approved. You may want to do a search in your area to see what places/companies are available and they will mail you free information . Maybe you've already done this as looking into the above with their offers.

i wish you the best finding what will work for you.

I've noticed people using the Hooveround on the streets with a tall red flag attached for their safety . i'm assuming so vehicles will see them while they are on the street. I've noticed a basket attached so a store trip they have a place to put there groceries or whatever in the basket.

All would be worth the try as some stores do not provide the scooters when shopping as many people do now use.
    i hope all works out for you in searching what would work best for you.
  10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

jam - hope the surgery & recovery go well

butterflydream - thanks for responding, but medicare will only cover it if you need it in your home......not only do I not really need it in my small apt, but my apt would not really be able to accommodate a wheelchair.....so with that being that case, medicare will not cover it

also I cannot get a scooter or power chair in and out of my car, so I would also need a lift and those are also expensive & not covered

only option at this point is to find a lightweight manual wheelchair, pay for it out of pocket, and somehow manage to get it in and out of the car and push myself around (which may or may not work physically & would be very very tough financially).....most of the chairs that are at all lightweight cost around an entire month's worth of my disability income

I am going to try to check for used chairs, though
  11. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

My mother fell and broke her hip last summer I know this is different from hip replacement however I would talk to your DR and see about rehab as they put my mom in rehab for a week all though I don't necessary recomend it as when she went in it was a weekend and they put a cath (sp) in her which she was without one in hospital as they were to busy on the weekend to get her up to go to the bathroom and this caused a blood clot and now she will have to be on warfrin the rest of her life.We have to take her in every six weeks and sometime two weeks if she changes anything. So make sure if you do that you watch them. If I was you I would check in to senior service around the area and senior homes and goodwills etc for used electric wheel chairs. Alot of times in nursing homes they will have them come up for sale. Also check craigs list and the local papers you might be able to pick one up cheep. Just an idea. My mother did have a therapist come in and a nurse when my mother went home so check that out as I think medicare paid for that. I also think the will cover the bathroom toilet but it has to be the one that stands alone not the one that fits over the toilet and the walker you need to get a prescription from your Dr and take it to the place you are getting it from. Make sure your Dr writes it for the stand alone toilet and the walker you can sit down on but those are easy to be found at goodwills and thrift stores etc make sure you look prior to operation.
  12. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Call Area on the Aging. My friend has help 5 days a week to help her clean, cook and do laundry and she does not pay for this.
  13. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

thanks for your reply......I am not the one having hip surgery......this thread kind of got taken over

the only thing I am currently looking for is a wheelchair (bc of OI and ME/CFS), and I cannot get a power chair, bc then I would also need a vehicle lift & cannot afford one

I have to find an inexpensive, but very lightweight, folding manual wheelchair so that I can put it in and out of my car myself & push myself in it......since I cannot use a chair in my apt, medicare won't cover it......I am trying to find something on craig's list or elsewhere, but so far no luck
  14. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

not sure if this reply was for me or jam (who is having surgery)

if it is for me, I am not old enough to qualify for that stuff