Rant about military "doctors"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LeightonLAM, Mar 7, 2007.

1. LeightonLAM

LeightonLAM New Member

I just spent 2 years being treated by military doctors. I really feel that my care was awful.
    Today I heard a story about military doctors at another base.
    Apparently a wife was being seen for chronic pain and they got relocated to this base to get medical care. When they got here the husband got a phone call from his wifes doctor. The doctor told him that his wife is obviously a "junkie" because she was constantly asking for narcotic pain relief. He said that he didnt even believe that she was in pain. He said she must have been making it up to get drugs.
    I just cant believe how hard it can be to get doctors to believe it when you are in a lot of pain.

When i was in germany they kept me on percocet for about 8 months but then weaned me off it when i showed signs of being dependant on it. I was still in a lot of pain though. I always was made to feel like a drug addict looking for a fix whenever i would ask my PCM to give me something for pain.
    Its not like i would be faking the pain either. In addition to Fibro, I have a blood clot in my right lung, frequent ovarian cysts, frequent pneumonia, I even had sepsis a few months ago. I also had an infection at the site of my pnuemonia vaccine that needed to be kept open and have packing for about 4-5 months.
    Doctors make me so angry when they dont listen to us about pain!!!!
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I grew up in the military. Everyone seemed to believe that admitting to pain was a major character flaw. It's taken me years to accept that I shouldn't HAVE to just suck it up and suffer through.

If only there was a way to measure pain like they measure temp. or blood pressure!

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I had my first son in a military hospital in 1969...

What a disaster. I was too young to stand up for myself...only 22...but the doctors were mean and the nurses worse.

I had my second son in 1972 in a civilian facility...my, the difference.

I fear that if the government takes over health care, the military prototype would become the norm.

You have my deepest sympathy. I hope you can find someone to help you. I suspect you are still being treated by the military medical system...correct?

Sue
  4. LeightonLAM

LeightonLAM New Member

My current doctor is a civilian doctor. And I can already see the incredible differences. i had forgotten how great it can be to have such knowledgable people helping.