ratio of calcium to magnesium

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luvdogs, Sep 21, 2008.

1. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I've asked this question before, but forgotten the answer. What should the optimal ratio of calcium to magnesium be?
  2. ikathy

ikathy New Member

Hi

I've read that the optimal ratio of calcium to magnesium is 2 to 1. I just started taking 1,000 mg. of calcium and 500 mg. of magnesium every day.

Kathy
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

It's probably easier and also best to take a combined supplement. If the ratios are off, you won't be getting the benefits of the magnesium.

My combined cal/mag/zinc supplement that I've gotten so much help from has 999mg Cal/399mg Mag/15mg Zinc and it works wonders. I take it twice a day.

Hugs,

Nancy
  4. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Ok, you guys have given me a bunch of different ratios. So what the best ratio to go by? I've heard 2 to 1 before, so I might go by that, but at the health food store they told me 1 to 1, which would be impossible for me, because I take 1000 mg. Calcium. Does anybody really know?
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

According to the wonderful book, "The Miracle of Magnesium" it has to be taken in combined form to get the benefits.

If you buy a combined supplement (and you should) stop taking the extra calcium.

Hugs,

Nancy
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't think there's one right answer. My doctor told me to take magnesium up to bowel tolerance, up to a 1:1 ratio. But I think 2:1 (2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium) is a starting point.

Mary
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Two to one is what I've been told and have read often. Half as much magnesium as calcium. The exception I make is for constipation, then I increase the magnesium for a day or two. Works every time. After all, Milk of Magnesia is just magnesium with a few other chemicals thrown in and I was told by the gastro. guy that it could be taken nightly as needed.

Marta
  8. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I'm going to start with 2:1 and up the Magnesium if i'm constipated.
  9. jengus

jengus New Member

Hi
    Do you take the calcium and magnesium at the same time?

I take 600 mg. Calcium carbonate twice a day (1200 mg. a day) for my bones in addition to Alendronate (sp?) (generic now for Fosamax) once a week. This is all for my bone density - I am 67 years old!!

Very interested in amount of Magnesium I need to take and if it should be take along with my Calcium. Have heard it does wonders for Fibromyalgia symptoms especially helps with SLEEP!!

So according to ratio you've read about - I should take 600 mg. Calcium and 300 mg. of magnesium twice a day for a total of 1200 mg. Calcium and 600 mg. of magnesium. Any help you could give me on where you read about the 2 to 1 ratio and whether the Calcium and magnesium should be taken at same time? I take the 600 mg. of Calcium - one in AM and one at bedtime.

Have you had any stomach problems with the magnesium? Let me know how you are doing with the 2 to 1 ratio and if you take 500 mg. Calcium and 250 mg. magnesium twice a day. I believe you said you had started on this in September, 2008.

Jennie

10. jengus

jengus New Member

Nancy,
    I have the combined supplement of 333 mg. Calcium Carbonate and 133 mg. Magnesium and 5 mgs. Zinc.

For my bones, I have to take 600 mg. Calcium Carbonate twice a day. This is smallest amount (1200 mg. per day) of Calcium I can take according to my GYN who monitors my bone density. I see her tomorrow and would like some facts to disccuss the Calcium/Magnesium questions with her. Anything I might print and take for her to read (can't get out to buy the book Miracle of Magnesium) before I see her tomorrow?????

Thanks for your help!
    Jennie
  11. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so sorry I can't help you tonight, I'm just about brain dead and have been having a very rough time lately.

I can't think of anything off hand for you to tell her, but I was so surprised that my doctor didn't mention how helpful this combined supplement is for our health and our diseases.

You could always ask about a higher dosage of the combined form, that way you'll get your calcium for your bone density and the benefits of magnesium for your muscles and sleep patterns.

Hugs,

Nancy