Raw food was healing to me. I am working again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alyssalyn, Aug 29, 2006.

1. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

I was a participant in these boards while I was sick and I am returning to make some healing contributions to people interested in natural/raw food for the healing of their CFS.

My healing from 3 years of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is continually conditional upon my including a high degree of raw food in my diet (75% is minimum for me, and 80-90-100% puts me in optimal health range, and beyond). If I do less than 75% raw, my body responds and symptoms begin returning, one of which is muscle difficulties. I'm happy to see in the last three months some interest in raw foods developing on this board. This is a direction that will heal for many people. My work is part time 25 hours a week and I volunteer another 30-35 hours a week as long as I feel up to it.

Food in its natural state (raw - uncooked) has Abundant healing power, through abundant vitamins and minerals, enzymes (which are killed above 107 degrees), fiber, antioxidants, cancer-fighting properties, alkalinity. If we don't get these things through what we eat, we then have to go to supplements to all of these functions!!

REGARDING STEREOTYPICAL OBJECTIONS:

*Raw vegetables are FULL of calcium - which is far more assimilable than milk calcium, and are full of amino acids - the building blocks of protein.

*Also, some sources say that when the digestive tract is healthy - bacteria in it produce B12.

*Various veggies and fruits can contribute B Vitamins .. even watermelons have B vitamins, I was surprised to find out.

I currently eat whole fruits and vegetables, whatever happens to be on sale -- rarely making them up into recipes, but just going with my intuition and craving at the time

A few raw things I like:

Mangoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    Frozen blueberries, slightly thawed.
    Peaches or nectarines
    Peach-Mango-Canteloupe salad

Love,

Alyssalyn

[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2006]
  2. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

sea-dove,

happy to hear of your experiment with raw and juicing..
    so, out of curiosity (if I may ask), why did you stop, if it had positive effects on you? what would help get you going further? imagine if you could keep progressing a little each time. :)

Love,

Alyssalyn

3. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

wamps,

hi, i am on my way to bed.. so this will be just a short note. But I am so glad to hear of your adventures with raw food. My profession is being a caregiver to mentally and physically disabled, and my challenge is coming up with healthy things to feed one person whose dentures don't fit properly. But I realized, there are so many soft things that are natural ... she loved my mango-canteloupe-peach salad, and she loves frozen blueberries - they "burst" in her mouth. She loves cherry tomatoes. And I took her to the park and had a picnic with her, and we had nectarines, grapes, mangoes. I have a snapping jaw - mostly when I chew too much. So I know what you mean. But don't let it stop you ... also, besides soft raw foods, blenders and food processors are great items to help. Just keep listening to that inner voice-- it knows. :)

Love,

Alyssalyn
  4. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

and I must admit I feel a lot better when I eat them. The trouble is it is so easy to resort to convenience food when you don't have the energy to prepare youself the raw food, but I do notice a difference when I do eat 'junk' food, I start slowing down and feel dreadful.

I'm glad that you have the discipline to stick to your diet though alyssalyn. Long may you continue to improve.

Sue
  5. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

much better i felt if i did a raw food diet. will start again!!!!!
    thanks for reminding me!!!
    love karina
  6. Anita B.

Anita B. New Member

Hi, Allyssan. I have been interested in eating raw foods since I spent a week at the Hippocrates Institute more than 6 years ago. There I ate 80% raw foods and anything that was raw (e.g., millet or quinoa at breakfast) had been soaked overnight. Have since been back twice, but two weeks was my longest stay which wasn't long enough for me to feel any improvement in my CFS and FM. Back home, I tried to switch to a raw foods diet, but was only able to do 50% raw because the raw vegetables and fruit don't supply enough protein to keep me from having hypoglycemic symptoms. At Hippocrates, guests were served a green juice three times a day (at breakfast, mid-morning and around 4 PM); the Hippocrates green juice had enough protein in it (from sunflower shoots and pea shoots) to sustain me. However, I work full-time and do not have the time or facilities to make the kind of green juice served at Hippocrates, which is much more time consuming to make than vegetable juice not containing shoots or sprouts. Additionally, keeping a supply of shoots on hand seven days a week when they're not available in your neighborhood, you're working 40 hours a week, and can't grow them yourself, isn't easy.) I tried drinking green juice made at a local health food store (containing such things as swiss chard, cucumber, arugula, celery, kale, collard greens, and sometimes beets or whatever other vegetables the health food store has on hand) but this kind of juice doesn't have enough protein in it to keep me from having a hypoglycemic crash. Sunflower shoots and pea shoots have a higher amount of protein in them that ordinary vegetables. Not everyone needs that much protein but I do!
    Do you have any suggestions as to how I might get more protein into a raw foods diet? I do eat nuts (which I learned to soak first and dry at a low temperature) and which are said to have more protein than vegetables but nuts just don't satisfy my protein needs.

One good thing has happened from eating 50% raw - my intestinal problems are much less than if I eat 25% raw, which was about the percentage raw I was eating before my first stay at Hippocrates. So, even though a 50% raw diet hasn't had any affect on the pain, muscle fatigue, muscle twitches, exercise intolerance etc. that I have, I find the switch worth it because it's improved my intestinal problems greatly.
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

the other day I had a romaine and cucumber salad with some shredded cheese and some ham. It made me feel sick to my stomach.
    It wasn't the cheese either. This has happened to me on other occasions as well. The rest of the day I kept burping up cucumber taste! Yuck!

Raz
  8. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

razorqueen,

it could have been the ham .. or it could have been the combination .. or, if you had each of those fresh things alone and still had that issue, it could be your body is telling you that particular food is not for you. Listen to your body .. it knows. I hope you go farther on raw things, and don't take it as discouragement.

Love,

Alyssalyn
  9. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

wamps,

no.. have never been on pain meds. but if my medical problems had progressed farther instead of my getting well, i am pretty sure i would have ended up there.

Love,

Alyssalyn
  10. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

hi anita b.,

My journey is evolving on a day to day basis .. and I go completely raw for long periods of time and feel really great, then start eating potatoes, spaghetti, egg salad, having a bunch of milk, even though I still have raw food, then don't feel so good any more. I would have to mention I have slidden the past 2-3 weeks, due to being polite to others too often .. and I am reminding myself of the virtue of a good diet more than anything. :)

I really have no personal recommendation on protein .. other than to find out what your body wants. And since peas and beans and lentil are protein items, it is maybe meant that we cook some food. Also, I grew up on beans, so I try to avoid them, ha ha. Although I was raised a vegetarian, I have to concede that as our bodies have evolved over the generations, some are more suited to some diets than others. In the end, it is your body that decides. If you don't feel 100% well, keep experimenting till you do. I would like to be 100% raw, but I don't think it would make me have a very good social life, so I compromise for that.

In the beginning, in the Bible, people were given fruits, vegetables, nuts .. I am not sure if they were given grains or not.

Exercise intolerance, for me, meant weak adrenals. It may not be that for everyone. I benefitted from natural adrenal glandular therapy and through B Vitamins and inositol. Also, weak adrenals are supported by higher protein diets, or so they say. I could have done everything I knew, but without my natural doctor getting involved, my adrenal glands would still need help.

For those that have a lot of juices, that may be fine if they are really sick, but we are not even really meant to have juice all the time .. we are meant to have things the way they are .. for the fiber .. and also so it doesn't hit the blood sugar instantly. I don't do much juice any more, just try to eat things the way they come. I have heard that in the raw state, amino acids can combine to make complete proteins. But your body has to be the judge of this.

I notice how my complexion gets bad, my intestines get bad, my energy goes down, my blood sugar goes high, when I eat cooked/processed for a couple weeks. When I need makeup, that's a bad sign.. it means more health problems are going to follow if I don't take heed. But like you say, the number one thing is having great intestinal health with a better diet. I would second that.

I guess I will sign off for now .. it's been a hectic half day redoing my computer after a trojan got it, just so I could get on this board. I just about want to shoot the computer! lol

Love,

Alyssalyn
  11. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

stormyskye,

good to hear from you, and laughingly, I have say, it is a reminder to me too, to get back on track. I know in my head the value of raw, but I have slacked the last 2-3 weeks. It's nice to know there are others interested here.

Love,

Alyssalyn
  12. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

Tantallon and Karinaxx,

Yes, it is so easy to resort to convenience food. The trick is to always have something natural that is convenient, handy to grab when you are running late and don't have time. For me, lately, when I have been tempted, cherry tomatoes and also a Powerfood supplement have kept me from going the convenience route. In my own fridge I only have what I would eat, but it is staying a lot at a friend's house to help with home renovating projects that gets me tempted just like anyone else.

Glad to know you guys are inspired and want to start again.

Love,

Alyssalyn
  13. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I eat a huge bowl of fresh fruit every morning. Plus as a snack I eat peaches and bananas. When I eat cereal I put strawberrys or blueberries in it. I always have frozen fresh fruit in the house along with freezing bananas. I also try to eat salads several times a week for meals.

14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks for the reminder about eating raw or more natural foods. I've become an advocate of the Paleo diet (no, grains were not a part of the original diet) but I had to modify it for my body because I don't digest meat well yet. Still, avoiding processed foods is very helpful - as long as I can do it. There have been times this past month when convenience foods meant the difference for me between eating and not. Other times I just get lazy.

Between changing our diet and our thought patterns, we may just be on to something very good!

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 08/31/2006]
  15. Anita B.

Anita B. New Member

for your comments and suggestions. Good luck, Alyssalyn, with your efforts to adjust the raw foods diet to your body's needs. I agree with you that a diet of predominantly raw foods is a health-promoting diet. It's just hard to get it right and that is the goal that we are working on...
  16. chmolz23

chmolz23 New Member

WOW! that is amazing? Could you recommend a good way to get started? I try and eat raw fruits and vegetables, but I feel that I need a Protein like chicken, fish or turkey to really get my energy going?

Chmolz
  17. an1000

an1000 New Member

can someone supply a sample raw food diet? i want to see how it would shape up over a full week. is there a website with sample raw food diets?
  18. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for the post. I am disabled with CFS, but raw foods have helped me more than any other drug, treatment, protocol, or therapy I have done (and I've tried a LOT of things).

I do eat some meats, as well as some grains, but a diet very high in fruits, nuts (especially ground nuts), and raw veggies, has helped more as much as anything I've done.

Going raw has greatly helped with brain fog, alleviating depression, increasing energy, reducing pain and inflamation, and giving me a kind of contendedness and even happiness, despite being disabled.

There are a lot of good books on eating raw foods by Gabriel Cousens, David Wolfe, Victoria Boutenko, etc...

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  19. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

*****wamps - Thank you. It's good to find someone with the same interest. :) Whatever I have the most of, is what I crave, whether it is cooked or raw. Let's stick together, all of us interested in this, and help each other get a little bit better every day.

*****louiesgirl2 - great ideas! Sounds very yummy! Both the fruit and the salads. And there are so many different ways to make a salad. There are no limits.

*****marta608 - I know what you mean about being in such a hurry that it was a processed food or not at all. But, questioning its effect on me, I have lately, taken a vitamin and mineral supplement with juice if I was too busy to eat, figuring it would give me vitamins and minerals, and not load me up with toxins.

*****dncnfngrs - thank you for the reminder about beans and lentils. I grew up on them, so got kinda tired of them. But, looking at my budget today made me realize I need to use the stored stuff on hand, and just supplement with fresh .. and take a break from food shopping to give the budget a break. My problem is that I like other people's beans and lentils .. not mine. I grew up with more bland food, by most people's standards .. I don't really know how to make it tasty like other people have it.. usually this is because of not having the money to get all the ingredients at once, and so getting discouraged with cooking in general.

*****Anita b. - You're welcome. It is hard to get it right, yes, and maybe we all can stick together and give each other ideas.

*****Chmolz and an1000 -
    - a good way to get started.. hmmmmmm
    Read raw food websites for ideas. Consult your intuition, and experiment, and eat something you really love. It makes it easier to stick with it, if you love it. There is no way that I would quit eating mangoes, peaches, canteloupes, blueberries, watermelon, honeydew, Juan Canary melon, red bell peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, avocadoes, lemons, oranges, limes, vine-ripened tomatoes, celery, nectarines, beets. I LIKE these things!! I would eat them even if they WEREN'T HEALTHY. lol!! Fortunately, they are very healing to me.

I think there are as many ways to go raw as there are people. Since I discount shop and ONLY buy whatever produce is on sale at each store, I end up with a hodge-podge of things, and either make up my own combinations or just pick what sounds good and eat a lot of it (as in, a mango feast).

There are ways to fix raw food in a gourmet manner .. which I am starting to get interested in. Money will help me to do that, as those recipes have more ingredients. Also, on the website Meetup there are raw food groups, and people support each other in this journey. Sometimes people who are just starting come to them. I joined the one in Spokane but it's not meeting quite yet because it needs more people, and someone to lead it.

If you are not attracted to the idea of eating a lot of one thing at once, according to body intuition, and want to use established recipes, I have found many on the web, and in books in the library. There are many books on Amazon and a few on ebay which have recipes, but I am going to try everything that is free first.

Even a week of adding more raw food to my diet, makes me feel more energetic. It doesn't matter if it is made up in a recipe or if I just eat it whole like I found it.

If you still think you need meat, that is for your body to judge. It will tell you. I am not 100% raw, and today I had basmati rice with chicken and stuffing, for a variation. I don't know if my body wants that.. time will tell.

*****kholmes - It sure does help with a lot of things. Maybe not everything, but enough, that it is worth it to buck social customs to do it. Thank you for the book ideas. I do have Victoria Boutenko's book "The Raw Family".

[This Message was Edited on 09/02/2006]