Raw Nerves HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Scapper, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I'm currently weaning myself off of Klonopin. I took it for several years to help with my insomnia and I slowly built up a tolerance to where it no longer helped. I kept needing more and more for the same effect.

I'm going very slowly and making progress on my dosage. I never knew how difficult coming off of this was going to be!!

Since I always used this for sleep, I rarely ever took it during the day for sensory overload, even though this has been a tremendous problem for me. I'm now well aware that it must have been helping me during the day and I just didn't know it.

My tolerance for ANY and ALL noise is ZERO!! I'm sure my body is missing having klonopin in my system. I was up to 3mg for quite some time and I'm now down to .5mg b4 bed -- this over the course of 10 or so months.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can take during the day to help me with my nervous system? I literally cannot bare to hear noise anymore. Car doors closing, horns blowing, people speaking, everything feels like it literally hurts me. I'm impossible to live with at this point and it feels unbearable for me to live in my own skin, let alone leave the house. It has gotten so much worse -- and I thought it was bad before!

Any natural suggestions for me?????

scapper
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Scapper, even after all this time, do not underestimate the effect of coming off a potent drug like Klonopin. Your body is still readjusting to not having it and may for some time. Keep on the dose you're on until you feel able to decrease somemore.

Talk to your doctor or try one or more of the good suggestions posted here. Just don't be worried into thinking it's forever because it's not, it's just very lengthy. Be especially careful about sugar, sugar substitutes and caffeine, anything that could increase your jitters. Try something like yoga or, if you can, meditation to relax you. Breath very consciously and deeply. Find a mantra or affirmation that makes you feel peaceful and say it often. Something like This has come to pass, not to stay. I am at peace.

Been there, done that.
    Marta
  3. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Thanks. This detox really is very powerful! My body is reacting severely, especially the first two weeks after I lower my dose, regardless of how small it is. The lower I get, the more my body is missing this.

I stay at each new level for about a month but the sensory overload never seems to get better.

I don't have the ability to exercise -- sticking to anything regularly that requires that much energy, is virtually impossible with my illness.

I thought maybe someone here may have some knowledge on herbs for daytime use that would address this.

If my outside stressors would give me a break, perhaps this process would go smoother. In the meantime, I like the mantra suggestion and physically calming down with yoga.

scapper
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Maybe a small dose of Valerian, Chamomile or a combination of the two.

Also, there is another product that is an ethanol-based tincture of flower essences called "Rescue Remedy" made by Bach, small brown bottle, yellow label - that is supposed to support calm and relaxation, you can get it at a good health food store or online.

For Aromatherapy (if you aren't sensitive) Lavender is the flower.

I use a Valerian/Chamomile/Hops blend at night to help me sleep.

Celestial Seasonings makes chamomile tea - try a cup of that and see if you get any response.

I know how awful sensory overload is - you can imagine, sometimes I feel terrible because the kids want to cuddle with me and I can't - but it's gotten better - a lot better.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

scapper:

I have read that Klonopin has a long half-life. It will linger in your system more than Xanax, Atavan, etc.

I have also read that it is difficult to cut off the Klonopin. Someone here on another post said that Klonopin detox was not a problem for her. I do not remember the dose she was talking about, so hopefully she will see this post and give you a few suggestions.

I am on Klonpin and probably will be my whole life.
    I feel it is working the same on me and it is something of a wonder drug for me.

nyrofan
  6. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions :)

I do have many calming herbs and combinations that I've taken for sleep but I've never taken any of them during the day on a regular basis. Since I'm always exhausted, I refrain from things like Valerian or Chamomile during the day. I'm not sure, maybe this would actually free up some energy by calming down my nervous system.

I never thought of Rescue Remedy. I know that holistic professionals have used this product for years. I'm going to give it a try.

When klonopin works, it really does work. If I didn't build up such a tolerance to it, I would avoid this process myself -- not fun!!

Thanks for taking the time, scapper
  7. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Well, I know what you are talking about. I am on Klonopin .05 mg at bedtime, and have been for three years (off and on). My Rheumy increased it to 1 mg. about a year ago... and pushed that I take it, but I only take 1 mg. if I am ultra sensitive and in worse pain. I can stay on it by adding melatonin and diphenhydramine hydrochloride..(OTC sleep aid - 50 mg), when needed.
    I have tried many other drugs, but none work as well as this one, for me.

I can go off of klonopin, because I have before, but I find that it isn't worth the suffering of not being on it. When I moved... I ran out before I found a doc, and I can't remember having terrible side effects. I have always had a fear of dependancy (childhood trama)...but my doc told me that there is a difference between dependancy and addiction. I feel better about it now. I know that I control the med...it doesn't control me.

I have had FMS and MPS for over 10 years now. I was first DX with MPS in 1988-89. The sensory nerve damage is so bad even on the klonopin...I don't think that I could make it without something. It doesn't get better for me...only worse. I am going through a new thing where I can barely touch my skin at times..even my teeth are ultra sensitive. This is when I take 1 mg. at bedtime. I don't take it in daytime.

I sleep with ear plugs and a fan going. I can't even sleep with hubby anymore. If he moves I wake up. I also get tremors/mini seizures if I am over stressed. I was told by my doctors that we should take the medication that works best for us...and not be too concerned. They said that Klonopin is a very good drug for sensory nerve damage. I might have to increase my dose soon.

I wish so much that I could tell you what would help, but I did want you to know that there are others that knows how you feel with this sensory nerve damage.
    I didn't look at your profile...so you might be younger than I am. I could deal with this better in earlier stages. I do drink herb teas. There is one out by C.S. It is called Tension Tamer. I really like it at bedtime.

I wish you the best dear.

Love....Mari
  8. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Thanks for responding and I'm sorry that you suffer with sensory nerve damage. It really is horrible!

I will find out in time whether my body can go without this or not. For now, I realize that my body is reacting to the drug not being in my system at a larger dose. I was taking 3 mg for a long time so I'm sure it will take time for this adjustment.

I'm hoping I can find something natural to help with this process and that **eventually** my body gets used to this. In time, if I am still suffering, I'll know that this is not something I can go without. I'm definitely not going to suffer needlessly. There are way too many symptoms with CFIDS that are too debilitating and I have no control over as it is.

My goal is to come completely off at bedtime and use it on an as needed basis during the day (hopefully).

Thank you again for your suggestions :)

scapper
  9. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I do wish you the best with being able to go natural. I do that as much as possible.

Do try the tea that I mentioned...tension tamer (if you like herb teas)...it helps relax me alot right before bedtime.

Hope to see you more on here. I am not up to being on as much as I used to do. I miss you alot, but think and pray for you all.

Love.....mari
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Enzymatic Therapy Co. came out with a new supplement called "Adrenal Stress End". It is endorsed by Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum who wrote "From Fatigued to Fantastic".

I don't know if it will help the sensory overload but may help fatigue.

I completely understand not wanting to take addictive meds but you are suffering.

I called the pharmacist today about my brother who is going through a severe anxiety due to a reaction to Decadron.

He can't even drive a car, its terrible.

The doctor gave him Xanax which is in the same family as Klonipin. The pharmacist recommended Ativan instead and said it was not addictive like Xanax. I am not sure of that.

Anyway, for anxiety, one supplement I tried was (Seredyn) which is a combination of Passion Flower Extract, Valerian Extract,and
    L-Theanine. I also took another supplement by the same company for sleep called Mellodyn that contains Valerian Extract 500 mg, Chamomile Extract 400 mg., Passion Flower Extract 300 mg, Lemon Balm Extract 200 mg and Melatonin 3 mg.

They did help anxiety and sleep but I still needed Ambien to sleep and still had bad anxiety.

I am currently taking Restoril 15 mg for sleep and anxiety. I don't want to take it for long and will be seeing a doctor on 7/12 to discuss meds.

Unfortunately for me, I cannot get by with supplements alone and I know it. I admire you for getting off the Klonipin but am wondering if you could find a med that might help and not be addictive.

It seems you are still suffering quite a bit. Has your doctor recommended any other meds?

Someone mentioned eliminating sugar. I guess you also watch caffeine in sodas and coffee.

Hope you are feeling better soon...

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2006]
  11. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Mari -- Thank you so much for your caring words :) I will definitely pick-up some Tension Tamer tea. I love tea and could use a change from Chamomile. Hope to see you on here more too :)

Pv Lady -- Thanks for taking the time to make some suggestions for me. I've written those products down :)

It's not that I'm worried about addiction with klonopin, it's that it stopped working for me. I realize this is a drug that one can build up a tolerance to and this is exactly what has happened with my body, unfortunately.

My doctor has raised one of the other meds I'm on to compensate, but it does not seem to be hitting the same pathways as klonopin.

In the meantime, I've bought myself some Rescue Remedy and I'm going to take this daily to see if it helps.

I also have my fair share of calming herbs if the Rescue Remedy doesn't yield any results. I've already tried GABA with no results there either.

If you all see my face on the front cover of the newspaper because someone was beeping their horn too loud, you all will know why :):):)

Thanks again. Hoping some of these great suggestions work!!!

scapper[This Message was Edited on 07/01/2006]