Raw Red Radish

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by psigrl, Oct 5, 2002.

1. psigrl

psigrl New Member

Ok, you guys, I know this seems extremely flakey but I've been working through a pretty rough relapse. I've begun to come out of it and wish to tell you an interesting story that has left me grateful but puzzled. I have CFIDS. Last year when I was down for nine months I found I craved fresh red radishes. I couldn't get enough, I'd snack on them like candy, eating 5,6 at a time. It's only fair to say that I was also experimenting with supplements as well and had been waiting for weeks without any real improvement. After taking the radishes I began to recover. But didn't eat any more radishes for awhile! I thought it to be a fortunate coincidence but searched the Web to find if any particular chemistry in radish would explain the sudden improvement. But nothing really stood out.
    One year later during this last relapse, as soon as I was able to drive to the store I bought more fresh red radishes and within 4 hours began to improve. At first I thought posting this would cause a great amount of criticism but I feel it's worth posting if it can benefit anyone who is suffering this week. It's very possible other variables may be responsible, and it may be possible that the substances withing this food effect me in a unique way. What's to lose? I hope it helps you, too.
    Psi
  2. psigrl

psigrl New Member

Ok, you guys, I know this seems extremely flakey but I've been working through a pretty rough relapse. I've begun to come out of it and wish to tell you an interesting story that has left me grateful but puzzled. I have CFIDS. Last year when I was down for nine months I found I craved fresh red radishes. I couldn't get enough, I'd snack on them like candy, eating 5,6 at a time. It's only fair to say that I was also experimenting with supplements as well and had been waiting for weeks without any real improvement. After taking the radishes I began to recover. But didn't eat any more radishes for awhile! I thought it to be a fortunate coincidence but searched the Web to find if any particular chemistry in radish would explain the sudden improvement. But nothing really stood out.
    One year later during this last relapse, as soon as I was able to drive to the store I bought more fresh red radishes and within 4 hours began to improve. At first I thought posting this would cause a great amount of criticism but I feel it's worth posting if it can benefit anyone who is suffering this week. It's very possible other variables may be responsible, and it may be possible that the substances withing this food effect me in a unique way. What's to lose? I hope it helps you, too.
    Psi
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Can you tell me what you did find out about in your research about radishes? I was taught that there are three vegetables that have absolutely no nutritional value, ie. cucumbers, iceberg lettuce, and radishes, so I am surprised that there is anything in radishes that could help anyone. Maybe I was misinformed. It wouldn't be the first time! I sure do like the taste of them and they're so easy to grow, you can grow yourself as many as you need and get well.
    Curious,
    Klutzo
  4. psigrl

psigrl New Member

I went to various botanical sites and didn't get anything interesting. Couldn't even find anything regarding the slight "burn" when bitten in to. It's a mystery to me.
  5. herblady

herblady New Member

not long ago i read about a health benefit from radishes. i'm wracking my brain but i can't remember what it was. it's on the internet SOMEWHERE. or in a book. i'll find it. i found it before and i will again. you go right ahead and eat those radishes. something in them is helping you. hippocrates said, "let food be your medicine." cindi
  6. psigrl

psigrl New Member

Thank you, herblady. I was hoping to hear from you.
    Psi
  7. sean

sean New Member

that did not have at least some nutritional value, I think I speak with some degree of knowledge, as I am a qualified hoticulturist, and have studied basic botany, as being awardedan RHS silver medal.

Radishes are low in calories and salt, and they are a good source of vitamin C, and potassium.

in alternative medicine, the radish has been used to aid digestion, for it's anti stomachaic, diuretic, blood purifying, and germicidal properties. It has been taken to help suppress wind and eliminate acidity, and various other stomach ailments, It has been used with other herbs and spices in treatment of jaundice, bad breath, ringworm, gallstones, urinary problems, menstrual problems, eyesight, sexual weakness, hickups, stomach worms, and lethargy. Not bad for the humble radish is it.
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

This is all new to me and definitely not what I learned! have you got any info on cucumbers??? Maybe they're not uselsss either.
    Klutzo
  9. sb439

sb439 New Member

... you are a source of knowledge that may be of great use to us ... . the common radish appears in a radiant new light. Thanks also psi, for sharing your experience with us.
    Susanne
  10. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

If we want to know more about these vegies and their specific benefit how about searching in juicing sites. I know in my juicer info that came with it when I bought it 20 yrs ago was a whole lot of info, don't know where that little booklet is right now but should be easily accessible on the net, everything else is.

This is interesting, I am gonna buy radishes today & start munching on them.

Jaci
  11. sean

sean New Member

not all the alternative uses have been proven, In fact probably very few, I guess some of it might be old wifes tales. Though I do believe some old remedies can be more effective than todays medicines, I guess it can't hurt to try. I recently bought 6 cans of a drink called V8, it is a vegetable juice drink, it's basically juice from different vegetables, all I can say is it seemed to give me a good energy boost, and I will be buying some more when I get chance. If any of you do decide to try radish please let me know if it has any effect on your condition.
  12. sean

sean New Member

Yes from what I've been told from girlfriends, cucumbers are very useful, (Oh dear I couldn't resist it sorry!) No seriously like most vegetables there packed with vitamins an minerals. As for alternative rememdies I seem to remember that it was used by Russians, as hangover cure. To be specific drinking the juice from pickled cucumbers. Yuk enough to make anyone sick.
  13. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

hiya,

looking for radish in my herbal pdr: actions and pharmacology = glucosinolates in the freash, unbruised rhizome: chief component 4-methylthio-3 butenyl-glucosinolate, glucobrassin, sinigrin, glucoraphanine

effects: cholerectic, antimicrobial and to increase motility in the upper gi-tract, an effect caused by mustard oils.

cholorectic and antiviral effects proven in animal trials.
    secretolytic in patients suffering chronic brochitis.

(next batch of info pretty much repeats sean's post)

overdosage: administration of higher doseages(?) of fresh root could lead to mucus membrane irritation of the gi-tract. due to the cholagogic effect of the drug, biliary colic could be triggered in patients with gallstones.

then it goes on to tell about dosing with radish juice and homeopathics.

You may have stumbled on to something, Psi! maybe mikie or someone can put all this into laymen terms (if necessary). I'm to pooped after this much.

Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

These big words are just as foreign to me as you. I say, if it works, do it.

Love, Mikie
  15. psigrl

psigrl New Member

What wonderful information, Copper. And thanks to all of you who aren't laughing me off the board. I am humbled by your always-there love.
    Psi
  16. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

posted it just a few minutes ago under it's own post, like the cucumber info, hee heee.

Jaci

[ advertisement ]