re BIG Babies (high birth weight) ..... To: Janalynn ....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Feb 6, 2010.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I was reading your post about the underwear, and read the part where you said that you were pregnant with a 11.5 lb. baby.

Well, I also had a 11-1/2 lb. baby, 24 inches long, who was a week or so early!

However, my first baby was just 10-1/2 lbs., as was my second.

What I am getting to is that the doctor who delivered my first baby told me that having a baby at this weight was an early warning sign to me that I would be a diabetic by the time that I was 50.

Well, at age 49, I was diagnosed with diabetes. He was right.

I don't know you to know if you are a diabetic or not, but if you're not, I just wanted to pass
    on my doctor's warning due to you also having a large baby. I just want you to keep track of your glucose reading as you get near to 50, whenever that may be!

2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I had an 11 lb. 2 oz. boy. My doctor also mentioned diabetes but, as yet, I am not diabetic. I am 69 years old and my son is now 43. I thought the only time there was a connection with diabetes was that some diabetic mothers gave birth to very large babies. GB66
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Thank you very much for the 'heads up" They did a lot of glucose testing during my pregnancy. I was borderline gestational diabetes, which definately increases your chances of becoming diabetic later in life. When he was born they said, I "probably' did have Gest. diabetes, to watch if I had subsequent children and those pregnancies.

My second child, they watched my very carefully. Sugar levels were great - on the low end, not dangerously low. He was also large, they induced two weeks early or they thought he'd be another 11 lb baby. They then decided that I just have big babies!

I will though and do have my sugar tested periodically just to keep an eye on things.
    It is an important thing to remember for anyone who has large babies if you develop gestational diabetes. It certainly raises your chances for having diabetes later in life.

Thank you very much JLH!
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

gb66 thought that there was a connection with diabetic mothers giving birth to large babies. Well, I did not have gestational diabetes during any of my pregnancies. I just had huge babies.

But, my doctor's warning about having diabetes later in life turned out to be true.

Just want mothers of big babies to know that this is a possibility.

Janalynn, I'm glad you plan on having your glucose tested periodically during the coming years.

Of course, it didn't help me that I had diabetes in my family--my father and some aunts.