Re: Bleach in the dishwasher-Mickie or Dojomo

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Jan 24, 2003.

  1. VickyB

    VickyB New Member

    My husband read in a prevention magazine that adding bleach to the dishwasher helps to kill bacteria. He says that the bleach is rinsed off in the rinse cycle but I am not sure about the plastic or the rest of the dishes for that matter. Thanks for any replys.
    Sincerely, Vicky
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2003]
  2. VickyB

    VickyB New Member

    I have another question: I worked in plant where we handled metal parts all the time and the parts came from the side of the plant where they shaved parts off. Anyway when we handled these parts we would get very small shaving stuck into our hands and they were so small even small tweasers would not get them out. This would happen on a daily basis, could this contribute to a heavy metal toxicity?
    Thanks, Vicky
    PS: We could not use gloves because we did ultrasound that was so small that gloves got in the way and of course we had quotas to fill-sometimes we handled a thousand pieces a day. Plus all the shavings would be in the air to breathe in the plant. I never thought of this while I was working there??? What do you think??
  3. VickyB

    VickyB New Member

    I have another question: When I worked at the plant that I was telling you about, I was also exposed to Tri-Chlor for several years on other side of plant. We would dipped our fingers in it with a paper towel to work on parts. Our work was very small so we would have to lean over the parts and fumes would be directly inhaled. Plus there were several hundred people in one large room working with their own bowl of tri-chlor, it had to be in the air.What do you think?
    Thanks, Vicky
  4. dojomo

    dojomo New Member

    I don't know about your bleach question.....But I have done alot of research on heavy metal toxicity. Altho occupational exposure exists, most exposure is from our environment and food. There seems to be an increase sensitivity in women.

    I wish I could get a doctor to take an interest in my theory... but measuring heavy metal exposure is difficult....For mercury Samples of blood and urine will pick up recent exposure.. but there is a bioaccumulatory affect that only biopsies will detect.

    There is some studies on womens health and heavy metals.....yet no studies on how prevelant it is...

    I can say that..... heavy metal exposure... even chronic low-dose exposures...can effect your immune, cardiovascular, digestive, reproductive and neurological health over time...

    I suspect that we have exceeded the exposure limits of mercury in this country, and the government IS cutting emissions from power plants, removing it from vaccines, eye drops and cosmetics.

    Mercury thermometers, amalgams, and other industrial uses are being banned. Fish advisories are in effect in many states, Since 1999.... many changes have been proposed, and altho there is little media attention..

    Chances are...we are victims of environmental pollution. .............DJ

  5. VickyB

    VickyB New Member

    Thanks for the reply. The Tri-chlor that we used in the plant had a very toxic smell to it. I know that the chemical was pulled from the plant in 1986 but that was 2 years after being exposed to it on a daily basis. Some of girls would sniff it to stay awake on night shifts, I can't imagine what kind of condition they are in now. Thanks again for the reply.
    Vicky
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2003]
  6. VickyB

    VickyB New Member

    I asked Dr. Dunn's office if they do metal toxicity tests and they said no. I am going to ask my family practice doctor if he will. What kind of doctor should I see for something like this if my pcp cannot do it??

    Thanks, Vicky
    PS I asked my husband about the tri-chlor because he also worked at this plant. He said yes they did do tests on his department when the chemical was pulled from the plant. Of course his department was all men. My department was all women and no one was tested. Once again, women get the shaft!! I don't know if I would trust the testing that was done at the plant anyway because my husband has said that he gets a metallic taste in his mouth from eating eggs also. Thank goodness we do not work there anymore!!
  7. VickyB

    VickyB New Member

    Bump for Lisa