Re: Dr. Stuart Silverman

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LouiseK, May 6, 2006.

1. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Hello,

A couple of you wrote that you see Dr. Stuart Silverman in LA. I would be really interested to know if you have CFS and, if so, how he is treating you.

Any information would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!
    Cheers,
    LouiseK
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

3. ulala

ulala New Member

I just posted to you in your New to LA thread.
    Let me know if you see it.
  4. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Hi LouiseK

I've been a patient of Dr. Silverman's since '93 and he REALLY knows his stuff! I had a dx of FM, but he added CFS and Multiple Chemical Sensitivities.

He's currently the Head of Women's Health at Cedars' Sinai, the Head of Rheumatology at the VA Hospital in LA (he treats GW Syndrome patients), and he's a professor of Rheumatology at UCLA. There are some med students being taught about these illnesses!!

He also developed the FM Rehab Program at Cedars (with input from Dr. Bennett's Rehab Program at OHSU), but no longer oversees the day to day running of it.

Tell him "Julie from Ridgecrest" sent you. I've been threatening to ask for a "finder's fee" for years, since I've sent so many people to him! LOL!

Good luck!

julie (is free!)

You ain't getting back through this door
    You don't lie here anymore..

- Fairchild Shelly
  5. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Thanks for your responses. I think I will go see him -- another $1000, another workup, I suppose. I am wondering what, if anything, he thinks of the FFC/Teitelbaum protocols -- has anyone else noticed that FFC ripped of their whole riff from Teitelbaum or am I dreaming here?

Anyway, thanks so much. I'm really at the end of my rope. Actually quitting my job this week which is a huge emotional deal for me -- admitting I can't work -- so I need another medical workup to give me hope. You never know . . .something might just work.

Peace.

C.
  6. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I'm not sure what Dr. Silverman's opinion of Dr. T's protocol is right now.

After FAME2000, I asked him about it, but it was still fairly new back then and he wasn't completely convinced that it was worth trying - especially since we are on opposite sides of the country.

He's having such great success with the Xyrem and the FM Rehab program that I don't know if he will work with patients on Dr. T's program.

I DO know that he doesn't believe in running tons of expensive tests that won't really tell you anything. The only test I had that was "extravagent" was a NeuroSPECT scan, and that was to show worker's comp that we had some "hard" evidence of physiological brain dysfunction consistent with research that was "new" at that time.

They do have doctors who are WONDERFUL at Neuropsych testing to document the cognitive dysfunction that most (all?) of us suffer from. There is a distinct pattern to FM/CFIDS cognitive problems, and they know how to test for it and document it well.

There was a local doctor who claimed to be an expert who I saw for a while, and he ordered enough bloodwork that I had EIGHT tubes drawn - something that can send FM/CFIDS patients into a crash! After thousands of dollars of testing, the ONLY thing he found was that I had a zinc deficiency...sheesh!

julie (is free!)

You made your bed
    and you're out of mine.. - Sara Evans
  7. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

see my thread dated 3/23/06 regarding Dr. Silverman's background. It will give you more info on him.

Dolphin
  8. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Hi,

I hope I am doing this right and this message will get to you -- I don't really know how to work this board thing.

I am very interested that you mentioned Dr. Silverman helped you with your disability issues. I am at a point right at this moment where I am leaving work after torturing myself and making myself ten times sicker I fear by hanging on to the job for the past two years. I havenot been thinking at all about disability and now wonder what I need to do to put a case together. Did he help you? Did he actually interact with them for you?

Thanks a million.

LouiseK
  9. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

LouiseK,

I'm covered under Federal Worker's Comp because my illness started after a toxic exposure in my workplace.

I had been referred for "limited psychometric testing" to document my severe cognitive problems, but the person who did it knew nothing about FM/CFS. He reported to W/C that I was depressed and said nothing about the FM/CFS in his report. They immediately cut off my benefits.

I saw Dr. Silverman a few weeks later for the first time. When he saw the report, he said "Oh, I see this all the time". He did a complete exam and wrote a VERY strongly worded letter to W/C explaining that the report was invalid and that they should probably consider re-instating my benefits before I saw an attorney (or something to that effect).

I had my benefits re-instated within a few weeks. <g>

He is also very good at getting disability benefits approved for people who need them. Of course, he would prefer to get you healthy enough to return to work, but if that is not possible, he will do everything he can to help you get the benefits you are entitled to.

julie (is free!)

I rant, therefore, I am! - Dennis Miller
  10. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Thank you so much. Appreciate your time and knowledge more than you can imagine.

Off I go . . .

LouiseK
  11. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Hello again,

Many many thanks. I'm sorry to hear about your situation but really appreciate your candor and all the info about Silverman. I can't wait to see him.

Hope!

LouiseK