RE: Has anyone used Deplin for fibromyalgia pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Honey45, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Honey45

Honey45 New Member

Hi! I went to the doctor today and she prescribed Deplin for my fibro. pain. Have any of you ever used it? It's a fairly new drug---folic acid. Please let me know if it helped you. I'm soooo tired of being in constant pain!

Honey45 [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2007]
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Your doctor must be working hard to stay up with the latest drugs coming out to help you. I hope more people here read about this and ask their doctors about it if it might help them.

Please let us know how this works for you....

Deplin Facts
    How Does Deplin® Work?
    Deplin® works by using a natural process within the body to develop more of the neurotransmitters that may be lacking. Additional neurotransmitters such as serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine enable the antidepressant you may be taking to be more effective.

How Does Deplin® Work?
    Deplin® contains 7.5 mg of L-methylfolate, the only active form of folate that can cross the blood brain barrier.

L-methylfolate crosses the blood brain barrier and aids in the synthesis of new neurotransmitters (brain chemicals) associated with mood.

Normalizing neurotransmitters, serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine enables your antidepressant to work better.

Deplin® vs. Folic Acid
    Folic acid is a man-made product that needs to be broken down by the body through a lengthy 4-step process. Folate that comes from your diet (e.g green vegetables) needs to undergo a 3-step transformation.

Deplin® is able to be used immediately upon absorption.

Over one half of the general population is compromised in it's ability to break down folic acid into L-methylfolate (MTHFR C->T polymorphs) and is even higher in people who suffer from depression15, 16.

Deplin® is unaffected by this common impairment in the body's ability to break down folic acid.

One Deplin® 7.5mg tablet is bioequivalent to taking seventy-five 800 mcg folic acid pills17.

What To Expect »

What To Expect
    Are there side effects with Deplin?
    L-methylfolate was well tolerated in both short-term and long-term trials. Side effects did not differ from a sugar pill (placebo). Deplin® has not been associated with weight gain, sexual dysfunction or nausea.

How do I take Deplin®?
    For best results, you should take Deplin® exactly as prescribed by your doctor. For most people, Deplin is prescribed once a day, every day, with or without food. You should also fill your prescriptions ahead of time to avoid missing a dose.

When will I feel an effect and what can I expect?
    You may begin to feel better after taking Deplin for 1 to 2 weeks, but the full effect may take 4 to 6 weeks. You may feel an improvement in one or more of the following areas:14

How long do I have to take it?
    For some, depression can be an ongoing condition that may require long-term treatment. Your healthcare provider will track your progress and work with you to determine the right length of treatment. Do not stop taking Deplin without talking to your doctor.

Will Deplin® affect other medications I might be taking?
    Deplin® does not require dosing adjustments when taken together with most medications. Deplin® may lower the levels of the following anticonvulsants (mood stabilizers): carbamazepine, fosphenytoin, phenytoin, phenobarbital, primidone, valproic acid. If you are taking one of these medications, let your doctor know.

What other safety information should be considered?
    Deplin® may mask the diagnosis of pernicious anemia caused by a lack of B12. Deplin® will not cause pernicious anemia, but if you believe you may be anemic, consult with your doctor immediately.

When would Deplin® not be right for me?
    If you have a known hypersensitivity to folate or folic acid.

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2007]
  3. Honey45

Honey45 New Member

Thank you so much for your response. I was beginning to worry that not another person has taken this drug. You must be in the medical profession. Have you actually taken, Deplin? Do you think it will help with fibromyalgia? I'm not depressed, but I am tired of the muscular pain.....

Honey45 :)
  4. Rachelsvine

Rachelsvine New Member

I'm on Deplin and it has really helped with the panic attacks and the depression.... but not the pain, but then it could help you ,so try it! All it is is a B vitamin. BT123
  5. Rachelsvine

Rachelsvine New Member

A chiropractor that can get your C-1 back in right? That C-1 is the very 1st vertabrae that is probably out. Have you ever been in an accident or fallen hard at any time in your life? BT123