RE: Igenex test... how do you order it and who takes the blood..

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by Kimba4318, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

HI... My friends husband has been suffering for years with what I call "Lyme symptoms". He tested negative from the cheapo test and I heard Igenex can send you a kit.

Where does he take the kit to for the blood to be drawn? Will it need a doctors order? I am telling him to take this into his own hands now. He has been on ABX after ABX... every couple of weeks they try a new one for these "unknown" problems. He had a weird rash on his arm and has been sick ever since.

I hope there is a way he can find out on his own.

Please advise. Thanks again!
    Kim
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

He can order the test online and take it to a lab that will draw his blood. He will need a doctor's order before the lab will draw the blood.

3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks.. so he just tells him Primary that he wants the test and to please write the orders? Are most doctors okay with that or do the dispute it?

I will have him order one online right away.

Hugs
    Kim
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

It depends on the doctors. Some doctors will do it no problem and why shouldn't they? But some won't if it wasn't thier idea. He may need to ask more than one!!
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks Dar! I will tell him to keep that in mind. That is a shame that some have a problem with it!
    Hugs
    Kim
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I called the 800# for information to figure out which kit to order. The man was very helpful and will send the free test kit immediately. Then I have to convince my PA to write an order for the blood draw which I expect to be no problem. It's pricey but may be worthwhile if diagnosed.

And yet: I've read that there is not a lot to be done for chronic Lyme which occurs after years of misdiagnosis. I've been diagnosed with CFS for 13 years which, so if it's Lyme instead, that's certainly long enough to become chronic.

My question for anyone who knows is, when does it no longer make sense to attempt to cure Lyme (I've been working on this for 13 years, after all) and how long does it take to know that?

Thanks!

Marta

7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Where did you hear that there is not much to do for chronic lyme? It distressed me that anyone would say that because it destroys hope.

I have been sick for over 14 years. The past 2 to 3 years have been the worst. I found out I have lyme in Jan 2007 and have been treating it since then. I have made remarkable recovery since then.

Everyone is different, but generally the longer you have lyme, the more difficult to treat, but it is treatable!! It takes a year to several years of abx or herbals in order to get rid of the bacteria and it isn't always pleasant, but you can get better!

There are people who do not recover but mostly it's those who don't change their diets, take all their medicine or drink alcohol. I am devoted to recovery and I have given up my beloved chocolate and red wine. It's so worth it!!

There is a Michigan lyme association that has been very helpful to me. You can contact them if you need a dr after you get your test results. Through this association I have met many who have recovered after years of being sick. There are a couple of people my sister met who were bed bound or in wheelchairs who have recovered, but it did take several years.

There have also been some remarkable stories on the Discovery Health Channel on the Mystery Diagnosis show about lyme disease. There were 3 people with lyme in three different segments all of whom recovered and went on to live their lives.

I'm glad you are getting tested!! But if it turns out you are positive I would consider it good news as you can treat it and get better!!!!

Hugs,
    dar
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

What wonderful news! I've been researching Lyme and was getting very disheartened at what I read about chronic Lyme.

I know you two are also in MI so if my own doctor (actually I prefer her PA) can't help me, I'll be back here for names of doctors who will. I'm north of Ann Arbor but south of Flint if this helps.

I got my test kit from IGneX yesterday. I decided to go to, hopefully, the last consultation (urologist ;>p) on Friday for the other issues she wanted done to rule out MS, then make an appointment with her about the Lyme testing.

Thanks again for your support!

Twin hugs,
    Marta
  9. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Quest Labs won't do any processing of blood for outside labs. They said they'd only draw it for processing in their labs.

I had a Quest Western Blot which only showed one positive band -- 41 the flagella or tail of the bacteria. Two weeks later I had an Igenex test which showed many more positive and IND bands.

Most of the treatments my LLMD does are "cutting-edge" which is another very good reason to see one. They routinely process blood for testing at Igenex.

In June, I was trying to get the Hemex test done for hypercoagulation which is very common with Lyme. Not one single doctor in IL does Hemex testing. My local doctor said he would help but we couldn't get dry ice to freeze the blood samples.

Blood should only be drawn on a Monday - Wednesday and shipped overnight. It only makes sense not to send blood samples frozen where it may sit over the weekend. Why pay for a test that's not accurate or specimen is not handled properly?

I was supposed to get a delivery of growth hormone which must be shipped and stored below 77 degrees. The cooler was missed and sat in a shipping warehouse in St. Louis over the weekend.

When I got it Mon afternoon, I stuck a restaurant supply thermometer in the cooler and got a reading of more than 80 degrees. Now I've got to return the pen. It cost $285.50 and is ruined.
  10. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Munch, who is your Lyme doctor and where is he/she located? I'm in Chicagoland, and I know you are in the vicinity.

Thanks,
    CherylSue
  11. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

We don't post doctor names usually because of the political issues. If you go to healingwell support group[ and email ticker she can help you find a doctor. She has helped many find doctors.

dar
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

How are you doing these days? As well as did your husband ever show up with more symptoms of Lyme, and what happened to your friend's husband? Just wondering...

All the best,
    Victoria

13. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

HI Victoria.... I had been meening to check in with everyone... I am doing great actually (compared to months ago). I plan on starting a new topic this week and updating everyone on how I am doing to see if ut helps any one else.

How are you and your son doing? Thanks for checking on us... I hope to post something soon :)
    HUGS
    Kim
  14. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Linda from the Michigan Lyme Assn. was very helpful to me. She came highly recommended from several posters here, and I found the phone # on the internet.

She gave me contact info at Igenex Labs, and I just sent a specimen there. She also gave me the name of a top Lyme doctor that actually isn't in Michigan, but I will still have to travel out of state to see. (I'm in Illinois) Munch highly recommended this doctor, too.

Hang in there. Others have found relief. Hopefully, we can, too.

CherylSue