re-inventing yourself...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Jun 13, 2010.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Carlos Castenda believed that if you didn’t like your history or that it was holding you back
    then you should change it and make up one that would create the kind of person you want to be.

OK firstly I know it would include not having health problems...

but going one step further:

If you don't like your history, what would you be?
    (You don't necessarily have to say what you were, just what you would be.)

I'll start:
    I'd be a world-famous portrait artist, and so good that my subjects would WANT to sit for hours for me to pain from life instead of photos!

2. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

No health problems are a given. Barring that...id NEVER have smoked that 1st cigarette and id have been a nurse. A GOOD nurse. And id have studied all the things that caught my eye like photography and art. Great thread!
  3. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

I would become who I was and focus on being comfortable with myself rather than external achievement .
    A Career in Biology perhaps Marine would be good. I like being around scientists.
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I would have stayed in college and worked with animals---Like a vet tech. AND no health problems
  5. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Never have had a child.
    Never have quit school.
    Never have gotten married.
    Never have been so stupid about life......
  6. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I wouldn't have gotten married so young (19!!) but I still would have had my kids

I would have become a wildlife photographer and somehow had enough money to travel the world

I would live in a house near/on the ocean (not a big fan of boats but I'd like listening to the ocean and the ocean-type birdies!!)

I would have born with some sort of enzyme type thing that made it virtually impossible for me to enjoy potato chips.

If there's something in my life that I could change NOW, it would be to be rich enough that I didn't have to work so that I could become a full-time student. I love school!
  7. spacee

spacee Member

I just would not have been sick.

I was doing what I loved then....sewing, cooking and keeping house. Reading books. It
    was a good life.

(I might not have had a twin ;)

8. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

A given is not had all this stuff....but then again I wouldn't appreciate all the small things in life and who knows what I would have really done.

I would have liked to have more kids, later in life so I could have enjoyed it more.

I know I wouldn't changed being a single mom. Even though I struggled it made me stronger and who I am today. Which is why I fight this junk all the time and research and try and help others.

I know now that I would have gone either into law, landscaping or something veterinarian.
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

hmmm, LOL, reinventing yourself as a non-twin? Sounds like maybe you've about accomplished that...

Just returned from Zihuatenejo. What wimps my DH and DD and I are. Can NOT stand the humidity. Love walking the beach at dusk with DD and that was about it for all of us. Hard to believe they have that humidity year-round - it's like S. FL or worse according to some.

That said, I think it would be great to be near a more temperate beach LOL!
  10. spacee

spacee Member

Oh, the glowing flushed skin one has when it's 91 and index is 101?

Almost nothing aches? (Almost)

Since the DDisease. I can't stand sand. Sticks to everything. Never bothered me before.

Yes, the twin is gone. She has taken up with some high school friends and they all
    have this in common. They had careers. That's ok, I have my friends here and we
    have something in common. We care for each other!

Spacee
  11. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I want to add that id have been naturally thin with the ability to not gain weight despite eating whatever the heck i wanted to...blonde and beautiful. Different parents that were better. NOT have married my X and had kids with a better man. Not been so naive and gullible. Im sure ill think of more lol!
  12. spacee

spacee Member

If you can have any parents you want and be thin and eat as much as you want. Blonde and
    Beautiful. Not so naive and gullible....in other words, we had balls :)

Then I want THAT too.

13. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

First i wish id been stricter with my children 2nd i wish id exercised and taken time for myself and 3rd id like to have helped children less fortunate. if i win the lottery maybe i can do the last one. love gail
  14. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

......I never would have eaten that first Lay's potato chip!!
  15. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

a scientist. I think bio-tech would be my interest.
  16. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I had to look up "ethologist" and it's not in my poor, sad, little dictionary!

Please enlighten me.......what is a cognitive ethologist? :)
  17. victoria

victoria New Member

What a great life she had!

I read a quote by her, basically saying she actually had the advantage of NOT being educated in graduate programs before going to Gombe, so she didn't know she wasn't suppose to "anthropomorphize" her observations ... as the prevailing view at the time was basically that animals acted purely out of instinct.

From Wikipedia:

Cognitive Ethologist

The fusion of cognitive science and classical ethology into cognitive ethology "emphasizes observing animals under more-or-less natural conditions, with the objective of understanding the evolution, adaptation (function), causation, and development of the species-specific behavioral repertoire" - (Niko Tinbergen 1963).

18. victoria

victoria New Member

I think what he meant is to re-invent our past as if it had actually happened
    to allow us to go forward as much as possible.

Granted, that may not be too far for many of us? But it could help alter our perspectives...

So if I wanted to change my past, I could maybe phrase it this way:

I have spent my life observing people, places, and color, in order to make me a better artist...

LOL this could eventually turn into a misson or purpose statement for an art show to-be, in the future.

(Dan Quayle once said something very meaningful:

"The future will be better tomorrow." )

I sure as heck hope so.

19. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I remember reading Jane Goodall's book and seeing things about her on TV. What an amazing life she had.

Yup.....that's something I would have like to have done.