RE: LYIRICA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by buna, Jun 10, 2008.

1. buna

buna New Member

THIS IS THE MED. I'M TRING NOW. IS IT WORKING FOR OTHER'S ? I JUST WENT UP TO 450 mg. I DON'T THINK IT IS FOR ME . IS IT HELPING OTHERS AND IF SO PLEASE REPLY ..

GLORY
  2. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Hi,
    At one time I took 450 mgs of Lyrica but I stopped because of the side effects,swelling and weight gain.
    The med. really helped me with pain and sleep, in fact it was great! I only take 150 mg at bedtime now, sort of use it for a sleeping pill. Denamy
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

i also take lyrica and while its not a wonder drug it really has help cut the pain down a notch or two for me as well.

i did have some dizziness, swelling of my feet and foggy kind of feeling. but the side effects mellowed after a bit...though, i could feel them a bit more when they would change the dosage. i take 300mg, 2 times a day.

for me the side effects were bothersome to yucky but bearable.

deb
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I was told that it's similar to Neurontin which I couldn't tolerate secondary to instigating migraines that have yet to let up on 18 months after stopping it. The doc told me that the side effects are the same. My understanding of when a newer & similar type of drug comes out that it has less side effects. I also went from a size 6 to size 14 and am now around 12-14.

So, anyone that tried both have anything to tell me about? Thanks.
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been on Lyrica for over 2 years now. It has worked well for me. It has not cured everything but has made a difference with my nerve pain, IBS, stomach issues and so on. I had a few side effects when I first started taking it but they went away after my body got used to the the med.

I have not experienced any weight gain due to Lyrica.
  6. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

Did you get any headaches related to it?
  7. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Lyrica has improved my quality of life more than ANYTHING I've tried over the past 15 years...It has been dramatic!

In the beginning of treatment; I did experience some side effects including increased appetite & weight gain. Most of the side effects went away after about a month. I still feel like I'm retaining fluids a bit. I'm taking a mild diuretic to help with the swelling.

I have gained about 20 lbs.(Been on Lyrica for 6 months) Luckily, I was thin to begin with. I guess the weight is the most bothersome side effect for me. I don't feel totally comfortable at this weight, but I am trying to accept the new me. I've been receiving LOTS of positive compliments from others. People keep telling me that I look "good" and "healthier"! Many people are unaware that I'm on a new med.

The pain relief and great sleep have been miraculous for me. Since Day 1; I've been sleeping soundly every night! The pain relief has been significant enough to allow me to do activities that I had given up for years. For me, the positive results far outweigh the negative side effects.

Other nice benefits from taking Lyrica: lifting of general mood, return of my Libido, decrease in Migraines, feeling more optimistic about life!

BTW, to the poster who got Migraines from Neurontin: I too experienced daily Migraines while taking Neurontin! As soon as I stopped taking it; the daily headaches went away. Lyrica has actually helped my Migraine situation. The reactions I had to Neurontin & Lyrica were completely different.

I would recommend hanging in there with the Lyrica for awhile...It may take some tinkering to get just the right dose for you. Initially, I tapered up to 350mg & found that was too high. I'm currently taking 200mg daily.

Blessings,
    Annie

8. kriket

kriket New Member

My fiance and I both have fibro. and have both tried Lyrica. It helps him dramatically, but caused weight gain and swelling with me. So I now take neurontin with less side effects. I think meds affect every person differently.

Kriket
  9. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

like you I got up to 450mg with no change in my pain. I was willing to suffer side effects if it ment less pain. After several months of no change I slowly got off it and sadly felt better when off because of the side effects. In my mind if you haven't felt a diffrence by now then you are not going to.

Did you start gradualy or quickly? I have found that a lower dose works better for some.

good luck and make sure you are very detailed with your Dr. as with anything else more dosen't always mean better.
    Erin
  10. autoharp15

autoharp15 New Member

I have tried Cymbalta and it gave me terrible migrains but helped the muscle pain. I quit taking it because of the headaches. I also took Neurotin and it made me terribly sick. I threw up and could not even walk down the hall with out nearly falling on my face. I quit it to. I have now been prescribed Lyrica and I feel great. I am a little foggy but the doctor told me that would pass. I am taking 50 mg 2 times daily. I am sleeping like a baby and my pain has decreased so much I feel like a new person. I dont care what the side effects are at this point I am just grateful to be without all that pain day after day. I still have muscle spasms now and then but I do take a muscle relaxer when this occurs and I found a topical that helps alot to. its called Activon Ultra Strength Joint & Muscle Topical analgesic. Its great to . It does not smell and it really helps those muscle pains. I am a nurse and I am on my feet for 8 hours every night MON- Fri and I carry this with me everywhere. If I get to hurting at work I whip it out of my bag and put it on. Not every drug the doctors prescribe is going to work for everyone. Unfortunatly with this disease its sort of trial and error. Some meds work for some people and dont work for others. Having an understanding doctor is half the battle. If your doctor is willing to work with you then you better hang on to him. Not all doctors accept that Fibro is a real illness and not just a mental proablem. 6 years ago when I was diagnosed with fibro I was lucky enough to have a doctor who recognized the disease and did not think I was nuts. Unfortunately some of my family and friends just thought I was crazy. haha. Its funny because now my imaginary disease is making Head lines on TV and in the medical books. They now teach about Fibro in nusing schools and is a public epidemic. At least now I feel validated. Hope this helps.
  11. autoharp15

autoharp15 New Member

I have tried Cymbalta and it gave me terrible migrains but helped the muscle pain. I quit taking it because of the headaches. I also took Neurotin and it made me terribly sick. I threw up and could not even walk down the hall with out nearly falling on my face. I quit it to. I have now been prescribed Lyrica and I feel great. I am a little foggy but the doctor told me that would pass. I am taking 50 mg 2 times daily. I am sleeping like a baby and my pain has decreased so much I feel like a new person. I dont care what the side effects are at this point I am just grateful to be without all that pain day after day. I still have muscle spasms now and then but I do take a muscle relaxer when this occurs and I found a topical that helps alot to. its called Activon Ultra Strength Joint & Muscle Topical analgesic. Its great to . It does not smell and it really helps those muscle pains. I am a nurse and I am on my feet for 8 hours every night MON- Fri and I carry this with me everywhere. If I get to hurting at work I whip it out of my bag and put it on. Not every drug the doctors prescribe is going to work for everyone. Unfortunatly with this disease its sort of trial and error. Some meds work for some people and dont work for others. Having an understanding doctor is half the battle. If your doctor is willing to work with you then you better hang on to him. Not all doctors accept that Fibro is a real illness and not just a mental problem. 6 years ago when I was diagnosed with fibro I was lucky enough to have a doctor who recognized the disease and did not think I was nuts. Unfortunately some of my family and friends just thought I was crazy. haha. Its funny because now my imaginary disease is making Head lines on TV and in the medical books. They now teach about Fibro in nusing schools and is a public epidemic. At least now I feel validated. Hope this helps.
  12. krsmom

krsmom New Member

I was just given this today. I thought I would check what others have reported on it as I've heard mixed reviews from some of my docs. My GP told me it rarely works. My neurologist gave it to me today as I have severe ear pain from another disease that has been intractible. I've tried depakote and neurontin. I ended up so depressed on them both that I had to finally say no. I take Keppra for severe migraines and it helps but doesn't do much for the fibro or nerve pain. I figure at this point lyrica is worth a try. Just sleeping better would be nice. My kids find me sleepwalking all the time and put me back to bed. I was horrified when I found out how often they were doing that. They find it rather funny so I'm glad they can get a laugh out of moms night wanderings but I know if I can sleep better then maybe I would feel better.
  13. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

(sorry if I spelled that wrong)....I did get headaches with the Lyrica. I used prescription strength Naproxen 500mg twice a day for a little while and once my body got used to the Lyrica I stopped getting headaches.
  14. My rheumatologist dr originally wanted me to start with 150mg and ease up three times a day. NO WAY! So luckily I had an appt with my family dr and she gave me 50 mg. capsules and I worked up to 150 twice a day. I am now trying to work up to another 150 mid day. It really tires me out. At first I also was sooooo hungry but it does go away .

The only problem with lyrica other than tiredness I seem to hold fluid alot. But I will keep trying the lyrica at 450 mg total as that is the range up to 600 mg a day that is recommended for fibro patients. Hand in there. SlOOOWly working up to the required amt is the key.
  15. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I have been taking Lyrica since April. I really had some problems with the dizziness and balance. If I take 150mg before coming to work in the morning, I am almost asleep at my desk. Actually I did fall asleep while looking at the PC. NOT good. I cut back to 100mg in the am and 150mg at bedtime. I am also on Cymbalta for depression and hopefully pain. Yesterday was a terrible day for me pain wise. Today I go back for a consult with my Rheumatologist. I am not expecting much help from him. He does not believe in doing anything other than increasing the Lyrica. I am still hurting today, so I will be explaining things to him. I have experienced weight gain and was trying to lose weight before they put me on this. That is another thing I will talk to him about today. Lyrica helps some. I have had more good days than bad, but when I have a bad day....it is REALLY bad. I have problems with the Fibro fog and my balance is not what it used to be. This website is awesome and so great to know that there are others out there that understand and realize we are NOT making this up. I've had folks tell me,
    "You can't let this run your life. You need to get it under control." Hey.. that is what I am trying to do and some days... FM DOES run my life. You just don't have a choice! Thanks for listening. Hopefully my dr will listen today and not just blow me off.
  16. terrisews

terrisews New Member

I was dx with fibro on Wed. June 11th. I was in so much that day I thought that I would die. The Rhuemy prescribed Lyrica and Darvocet. I took it as prescibed that night and on Thursday, I was a new women. I took it again last night with the same results today. I have little pain and much more energy. I ain't normal yet, but so much better. I just hope this lasts!

Terri in TN
  17. ginlyn07

ginlyn07 New Member

I am so jealous that this medicine helps you all. I have tried it with no relief. It did make me sleepy the first coulple of weeks but then that wore off too. I can't remember my dosage I took, but my doctor increased it slowly. So know I keep the pills if I haven't slept good in a long time. I have taken OTC sleeping aids but I don't feel anything from them. I just keep praying for a healing on my body, nothing else works for me:(.