Re:mercury poisoning. 8 years & never tested. Have you all been? How?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2sic2mooov, Dec 20, 2008.

1. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

I know when i first became ill about 8 years ago, I was wild for information and one thing that came up was the mercury. Of course my doc dismissed it (along with all other possibilities). I have never been tested, nor do I know how they test it? Is it expensive? I have heard they can do one sort of test with sample of hair. If so, can this be done on your own with some sort of test kit and sent to a private lab?
    I know many docs say that dental fillings can not be a problem. But my mouth is FULL of old fillings and many have cracked and required work done. I know there are certain ways that dentists are supposed to work on them and even dispose of the fillings. What do you all think?
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, 2sic2mooov.

Mercury toxicity is very common in CFS. I believe that the reason is that many or most PWCs are depleted in glutathione, and glutathione is normally responsible for taking mercury out of the body. When glutathione is depleted for years in a person who is continuously exposed to mercury, as from inhaling metallic mercury that is continuously evaporating from amalgam fillings, it can be expected that mercury will build up in the body.

Hair analysis is one approach that has been used to evaluate mercury in the body. However, it can be deceiving, because some people have been found not to excrete mercury in their hair, even though they have high body burdens of mercury. This was shown in an autism study, for example.

The most noninvasive method for testing for mercury is the urine porphyrins test. It is offered by LabCorp and Metametrix in the U.S. and by Laboratoire Philippe Auguste in Paris. It's also available without a doctor's order as the "porphyrins profile" from www dot directlabs dot com.

The other, more specific test is the chelator-provoked urine collection test that specifically analyzes for several toxic metals. Many people order this one from Doctor's Data Labs, and it's also available without a doctor's order through www dot directlabs dot com, listed as "toxic and essential elements." This one involves doing urine collections before and after taking a chelator, and comparing the results. There is a small risk involved in taking the chelator, so some people just do the nonchelated collection, though it doesn't give as useful a result. The nonchelated version can be used for comparative purposes when repeated periodically during detox to see how it's going. That's the way Dr. Amy Yasko uses it on literally thousands of kids with autism.

Blood tests are commonly run by conventional doctors, but they are not appropriate for chronic mercury exposure, because mercury does not stay in the blood beyond a few weeks. The blood test is appropriate for acute or recent exposures.

[This Message was Edited on 12/20/2008]
  3. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

I am very interested in this subject. I have Fibromyalgia and Epilepsy. I also have a mouthful of old fillings in my teeth. I have wondered for a good while if the fillings have anything to do with either. My dentist saw that one of my fillings was cracked a year or so ago and he said it needed to be replaced. I asked about the safety of having the old filling removed, as I had read that it was dangerous. But, he tried to reassure me that it was not dangerous and not to worry about it. So, I let him replace it and now I know that it wasn't done correctly. I would like to have the rest of my fillings replaced, but, there are at least 6 or 7 and it will take a while for me to afford to have this done. My first question is can you even begin detoxing before the fillings are gone? Does it do any good to detox until they are gone? I want to detox and get all the toxins out of my body but I don't know where to start. Can you advise me?

4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, scrappnmom.

I am a researcher, not a licensed physician, and I can't give individual treatment advice unless a physician is directly involved to evaluate my suggestions.

In toxicology in general, there is a principal that says the the first thing one should do is to eliminate the source of the toxin. That sounds very reasonable. However, in the special case of mercury in amalgam fillings, the act of removal of the source of the toxin also delivers an additional exposure to the toxin, and in some cases it is a fairly large exposure, because the removal involves drilling, which heats the amalgam and raises the rate of evaporation of metallic mercury vapor, some of which is inhaled by the patient. Knowledgeable dentists can mitigate this exposure somewhat, by using lots of cooling water, a good vacuum device, and a supply of air to the patient from outside the room where mercury is being vaporized. They can also use a dam to prevent swallowing bits of material, but this is probably a less important source of exposure than the inhalation.

I have read several reports from people on the CFS internet lists over the past few years who had large numbers of amalgam fillings removed over a short period of time, some with precautions, but quite a few without. Most have reported that this caused a serious negative impact on their health, sometimes for a very long time.

I think that the reason this approach has caused problems for so many PWCs is that their glutathione levels were depleted. Normally, glutathione is responsible for taking mercury out of the body. In CFS, many people have low glutathione levels, and exposure to additional mercury would have the effect of lowering their glutathione further, as well as adding mercury to their bodies that is not completely removed.

My current general approach to the treatment of CFS is based on the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis for CFS, and is called the simplified treatment approach. This approach is directed at lifting the methylation cycle block, which in turn will allow glutathione to come back up to normal levels, and then mercury and other toxins will be removed from the body in the normal way. After normal glutathione levels have been restored, I think that is the time to consider removal of amalgams, with precautions, and spaced out in time to avoid a large exposure within a short time period.

You can read more about this in my post of July 18, 2007.

I hope this is helpful.

5. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

Re Rich's comments re amalgam removals & the dangers therein, his points are well taken re the dangers if this is not done properly.

In my case, I had the amalgams in 13 molars replaced with composite materials over the course of four seperate dentist visits in 2000 & 2001. The dentist that did the work used an in-room ionizer, had me on oxygen & used a technology called the Clean-Up aspirator during the drilling process. The Clean-Up equipment allowed the dentist to place a small vacuum devisce directly over the tooth while drilling out the amalgam.With all of these precautions, there was virtually no add'l exposure to mercury during the whole process.

Since that time, I've done some oral chelating , using dmsa in small doses, & have supplemented with other vitamins & have worked with docs re support for my thyroid & adrenals. Slowly, over time, I've made significant positive gains in my health. I believe I could not have made those gains, without taking the major step of removing the amalgams, (& the gold crowns cemented onto amalgam bases).

The problem with amalgams is that over time the metal content, especially the mercury contained in them, releases via vapor, saliva, & tooth grinding, into the body. Eventually the detox system, that is supposed to be clearing those metals out, is overwhelmed & the mercury becomes sequestered in the body's organ, the brain & thyroid are two of its most popular destinations.

Based on the research that I've done, prior to the dentalwork & after, you can not begin the process of pulling these heavy metals out of the organs & tissues of the body, until you stop the source of that poisoning. The source, in my case, & in the case of many of us, is that mouthful of amalgams, that are slowly & steadily eroding & the metals released are finding their way into all parts of the body.

I believe it is essential that the amalgams come out, if you have determined that they are causing your illness. There are dentists out there, who are experts at this removal process & do take the precautions necessary to avoid exposure during the drilling process. Check the DAMS website for info re dentists who can do this for you & then do the research to find out if they use the Clean-Up system & what other precautions they take.

Once the dental work is done, remember that is step #1,,,,stopping the source of the toxin. Step #2 is working with a dentist/doc who can advise re various chelating methods & ways to strengthen your detoxifying processes, as Rich has described, & working on ways to boost thyroid/adrenal/liver/brain functioning.

Bottomline, there are dentists that can do this right & it is vital the amalgams be removed, if you're going to have an opportunity to detox your system of these toxic metals. There a re a lot of great protocols out there for treating CFS/FM, but if your amalgams are poisoning you, I'm not sure how any of those treatments can work until the dental issue is addressed.

6. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

Sorry it took so long getting back. Christmas is so busy! wish it were more relaxing....
    I learned a lot. Thank you Rich for your help.
    Just need to FIND the dentists that know what the heck they are doing. Esp. in Wisconsin. I do not know if most take this seriously bc most don't want to admit that dentistry has added to the problems. It is what they were taught, not at fault. but i do wonder what dentists do now with their Own families if they need to replace fillings?
  7. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, 2 sic2mooov.

A saw a report a few months ago that said over half the dentists in the U.S. have stopped emplacing amalgam fillings. Also, a few months ago the FDA was compelled by a lawsuit to admit that it is not a good idea for women to have mercury-containing fillings emplaced while pregnant.

8. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

I am currently doing chelation using DMSA and ALA following DR Andrew Cutlers protocol and had my amlagam fillings removed safely in July this year.

I urge you to read Amalgam Illness by Dr Andrew Hall Cutler - it's a really good book and worth every penny. It's helped me so much and also with suppplements and general advice for our conditions. The website is

I had mine all removed at the same time under IV conscious sedation and it went very smoothly. I also asked for a vitamin C IV drip and a rubber dam to be used. With the conscious sedation - I din't even worry about anyhting and I am usually incredibly nervous about dentists. This way they don't need to be taken out in the specific order either if under IV conscious sedation.

I made a big mistake 18months earlier having 4 removed unsafely by a dentist which brought on CFS for me almost immeidately which is how I know I have mercury posioning. There are hair tests that can be done and interpreted at DDI. But you will need to join the yahoo low dose frequent oral chelation group for advice as the results aren't always what they seem for example my levels show low levels of mercury being excreted but theres a lot more to it than that and my results actually mean I am very toxic.

ALA is the only substance that can safely remove mercury from the brain.
    There are so many symptoms mercury causes and it's near impossible to get rid of candida or parasites or get your health back on track without removing the mercury in my experience.

Good luck! - just make sure you find the right dentist, read Amalgam illness and follow the huggins protocol for safe removal of all fillings.

For ppl like us who have chronic illness, it is importnat to chelate 6 months further after feeling well. It can take 18months - 2yrs as there can still be mercury in the brain so if you don tfeel well after 6 months then you would still usually have a llot to chelate. Your boddy usually goes through a dumping phase where for the first 6 monhts after amalgam removal - your blood mercury and body mercury decreases but then after 6 months your body dumps the mercury into organs and the blood again so it's important to continue with chelation past this stage. After 9 monhts more progression of health continues so persevere!

Apologies for the typos I'm quite tired tonight!

[This Message was Edited on 12/28/2008]
  9. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Rich, thank you for all the good advice. I do agree with your idea of raising your Glutathione level before proceeding with the removal of amalgam fillings. It just makes sense to me. I did go and tried to read your other post on July 18, 07, but I must admit it was over my head and I really didn't understand most of it. That's what uncontrolled, long term Epilepsy and seizure meds do to your brain! It's frustrating! I do have a question though. What would be the most accurate way to test for mercury toxicity? I would imagine you should do that first. I did try to reply to your message last night and I have no idea where that message went! Hmm!

10. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Scappnmom, Hi All,

I've had all my amalgams removed and feel it was an indispensible step in my health journey. I feel one good way of getting some of the mercury out of my system is by using clay foot baths. I posted fairly extensively on a thread entitled "Detoxification Clay / Clay Foot Baths Work Well for Me". It can be accessed at:

I also intend to get a far infrared sauna in the near future to facilitate more heavy metal and other toxicity removal.

I had about 9-10 amalgams removed all together. Something notable about this experience was that there was decay underneath almost all of the amalgams I had replaced. Most people don’t realize that amalgams to not provide a seal to the underlying tooth, and so can very easily be susceptible to decay.

I feel having these amalgams replaced probably saved me (or will save me) extensive crown and/or root canal work in the future. I think it’s an economic perspective that people should consider when they wonder whether to spend money on doing the amalgam replacements.

Best to All, Wayne
  11. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, scrappnmom.

There is currently no way to accurately measure the absolute amount of mercury in your body. There are some tests that will give you an indication of whether you have a significant amount, though, and they are particularly useful for comparative purposes, by repeating them as you take measures to detox mercury from your body.

Conventional doctors usually order blood tests. These reflect recent or ongoing exposures to mercury, but they do not reflect the accumulated body burden, because mercury stays in the blood only for a few weeks before it is bound in various organs and tissues.

Urine testing does a better job of reflecting what's in the body. The more specific test is a urine collection for a few hours, followed by another collection after a chelator is taken. A comparison is then made between these two, and this gives a measure of how significant the load of mercury is. Usually DMPS or DMSA are used as the chelator. Some people who have very low glutathione levels find that this chelator-provoked test produces an adverse effect, and I think that's because these sulfur-based chelators are capable of binding glutathione and depleting it further. Some people just do the unprovoked part of this test, and use that comparatively as they detox. This is the approach used by Dr. Amy Yasko, and several thousand people on her internet forum, mostly autism mothers, use this approach with their children. People with CFS in the Yahoo cfs-yasko group do this as well. Doctor's Data Lab offers this type of test.

A newer approach is the urine porphyrins test. This does not require a chelator, and though is is not as specific, it does a pretty good job of indicating whether much mercury is present. In the U.S., this test is offered by LabCorp and Metametrix. There is a lab in Paris that offers it as well--Philippe Auguste.

There are other tests that measure whether the lymphocytes of the immune system have become sensitized to mercury, because of high levels of it in the body. The Melisa test, originally developed in Sweden, is one of these. The Acumen lab in the UK offers a similar type of test. The Elisa-ACT test developed by Russell Jaffe is also of this type.

Other people use hair analysis or stool analysis. Hair analysis can be tricky to interpret, because people with very low glutathione do not excrete much mercury in their hair, even though they may have a large body burden of it. Andy Cutler claims to have figured out how to interpret hair testing.

None of the tests reflect mercury levels in the brain. It is isolated there and has a very long biochemical half-life.

I hope this is helpful.

12. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Yes, this was very useful Rich! The fact that the mercury is bound in your organs that is scarey to me. And the mercury (or other heavy metals) you have in your brain takes a long time to detox. That is what I'm wondering about. I am wondering if that might have anything to do with my seizures.

Thanks so much!