RE: need advice from all of ya

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by calgarychris, Apr 16, 2007.

1. calgarychris

calgarychris New Member

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to see if I could get some advice from all of you... I am seeing a new doc in and he sent me to the chronic pain centre and the would not see me due to being on fentanyl and demerol. The then sent my referral to the addiction centre. I went to the appointment, and was not feeling like an addict before I went in but was when I left. The did not believe people with FM needed pain medication and since I was on meds already how could I possibly know how much pain I am in?

I left depressed, and upset with myself and the situation I am in. I have been wanting to get off the patches for awhile, they are a pain in the behind in a lot of ways, but I am afraid of the pain coming back to the point where I cannot function again. Right now I have three young children, my husband works a lot, I take care of the house, kids, finances, and also volunteer at my church.

I finally found meds that work for me, yet after that meeting I feel so depressed and unsure of myself, and I was not before...my doc will suppport any decision I make... just not sure what to do?

As well, the addiction centre wanted to put me in the hospital for 4 weeks, and that will just not work as I have a one year old at home with two other children who need me. Plus, I do much better at home. Hopsitals make me very anxious.

They also wanted to switch me to Methadone to get me off these meds, yet my instincts are really telling me not to do this..my medications have been stable for years, bloodwork is fine as I am checked every six months.

Sorry this is so long, I know it is hard to read a long post but feeling lost today....Thanks is advance to all who apply!

Hugs,

Chris
  2. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi chris

i am APPALLED that you were treated like this and made to feel like an addict. I don't know you, but i hardly think someone who is raising 3 little ones and maintaining a home, finances, volunteering, etc. sounds like one who is abusing their medication!

such a huge difference between "use" and "abuse" and to have been sent to a drug treatment center because some idiot doesn't think this is painful--that is downright slanderous! (foggy moment on wording!)

now they will be sending child welfare out to watch you and all you tried to do is maintain the function that you already have. how did you do last year prior to the baby being born, were you able to be off meds during pregnancy?

if you want to try to get off the patches FOR YOURSELF, not because some uneducated fool thinks you need to, then you can taper down slowly, where is your old doc who prescribed this in the first place? You need this doc to at least make referrals so they know you aren't some junkie off the streets but a patient with legitimate pain issues.
    i am so angry--how dare they do this to you!
    good luck getting your old doc to help you out on this--L
  3. caffey

caffey New Member

Sorry I am not getting this. Are you wanting to get off the narcotics? Drug dependent is what we who use long term narcotics are. Our bodies are dependent on the medication and if taken off it suddenly we will go into withdrawal. Drug addiction is using the medication in ways other than what is prescribed and more often than prescribed. Which are you? You don't need to answer on the board. If you are the drug dempendent then there is no reason for them to treat you like that. I am not from the US so I don't know how your system works about getting another referral. I have been treating with the utmost dignity and compassion by my pain guy. All the best.
    Cath
  4. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

All I can say is this "new" doc sounds like a jerk. I applaude you for actually going to the dependency clinic. You are very brave. I do have a few questions for you. Why are you seeking a new doc if your old one is good and is taking care of you?

I guess the drug dependency clinic's job is to make people feel like they are addicts. They can't treat you if they can't convince you that you have a problem. I would not take what they said to heart. Consider the source. I know it is hard, but sometimes it helps me to put things into perspective. You know your body better than any doctor ever will. If you truly want off the meds, then take the clinic's advice. If not, ignore it and chalk it up to just information that you gained.

I hopes this helps.

Take care and don't let the ignorant people have any control over you. You sound like a great mom and wife. Hang in there and remember, if your old doc did not think you needed the meds, he/she would not have perscribed them.

Hugs,
    Kelly
  5. calgarychris

calgarychris New Member

Hi Again Everyone!

Sorry for the confusion in respect to my last post....fibro brain rears its ugly head! I switched doctors because I worked for my old one and he treated me like something on the bottom of your shoe once I became an employee....he did not even believe me when I knew I had strep throat and was so sore I could barely pick up the phone, he changed his tune when it came back positive two days later....as well once I became an employee he would not treat me anymore, something I did not know when I was hired as well.

So, I went to the doctor who delivered my babies and told him the situation and he is an amazing doc....he wanted me to go to the chronic pain centre as well, but they turned me down because of the pain meds.

Sorry got sidetracked, when we realized I could not get a referral to the chronic pain centre my new doc and I talked and I told him I did want to try and find a new pain med because of the hassles that come with the patches.

So, he sent the referral to the only place that would see me....the addiction centre. So long story....shortened....I went to the appointment to see about getting off the patches and was told that fibro patients do not needs this kind of pain meds and it can be fixed by other methods, such as exercise, wt loss, and such.

I walk every day as I have 3 dogs, have lost 42 pounds in six months, but they did not acknowledge any of that.

By now, I can see you are all thinking Good Heavens, what is her question? (Sorry everyone I think I just needs to write it all down!)

Do you think going on Methadone to come off the opoids is the right way to go? This is what the addiction centre wants me to do.....or just stay on the meds that are working at this time?
  6. tessm6

tessm6 New Member

I'm going through pretty much the same thing as you are. I have had fibro for 6 years. My Dr. has basically said there is nothing wrong with me, I just want drugs! How infuriating is that?
    I prey for an alternative to narcotics. The stigma and the hassles are almost as bad as the pain. You are NOT a bad person or an addict - you just don't want to be in pain.
    In my opinion the minute Methadone hits your chart you will forever be labeled an addict and nobody will prescribe anything for you.
    If I were you, and this is what I'm planning on doing myself is to find a new Dr. It's a little work but call a potential Dr.'s nurse and find out what the doctors position is on fibro - it they think it's "all in your head" don't bother seeing them. Also, if your insurance has some type of "nurse on call" sometimes they can point you in the right direction.
    I hope this helps - hang in there, they learn more about fibro every day!
    Tessm

7. pat460

pat460 New Member

You've gotten some good advice here, but I thought I'd throw mine in too. It's very apparent this clinic knows nothing about FM. If you are taking your meds as prescribed and not looking for something to get high, YOU ARE NOT AN ADDICT!!
    Sorry, but stories like this make me so angry!

If you have your own reasons for wanting to change meds, that's fine, but don't go to them to help you do it. Being convinced you are an addict when you aren't one can in no way be in your best interest. I take Methadone for pain. It is a good pain med. However, if you have found something that works for you and allows you to function the way you need to without causing you any problems, you might want to think twice about changing meds. A lot of us have been searching a long time for meds that will help us that much. Please, just take time to think your situation through and put those crazy clinic nuts out of your mind!

Pat
  8. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I am sorry for how you've been made to feel.But people, doctors,family or friends that have not experienced REAL pain on a daily are so insensitive.If you can,hear and don't hear them.Most of what they say are their own personal opinions anyway,they don't understand.You do what works for you and anyone leaving you feeling bad or guilty,keep them at a distance.I am sure you feel bad enough dealing with your illness so lose the negativity crew.
  9. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

could just walk in our shoes for 1 day!!!! That's all it would take and they wouldnt be able to handle it.

Hang in there. You need to find a new dr now, and go from there.

Suzette
  10. coolma

coolma New Member

Sound to me like you already know what to do.
    If something is already working for you and you aren't abusing it, and you have established a pretty good activity level with the meds - don't mess with what is working for you.
    Maybe you will need to educate your new doctor. Looks like there is alot of good advice, information, research and discussion on this website. Perhaps downloading and printing some of the latest research articles would help your doctor treat you better. Knowledge is power.

So sorry to hear about your negative experience at the pain clinic. It is disturbing that with all the knowledge we have on fibro, you had to go through this.
  11. irishprincess

irishprincess New Member

just wanted to say first off you are not an addict, and those people had some nerve insinuating such a thing.As far as knowing what to do i would stick with the one dr you have been dealing with. those people who say that pain meds are not used for fibro never had fibro so how would they know. and number two you have to do what works for you if the meds ur on are working i would stick with them. yes the patches are a pain in the butt i have used them. Also methadone is a good one to use i am on the methadone and basically works great yes i have b/t pain i use vicodin soon changing to oxy for awhile but if the fentanyl is working anu don't want to change don't let some ignorant being tell you u are an addict, your not.

keep us posted my prayers are with you.
    irish