Re: New article - caution on fish oil w/GERD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Sep 12, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

There is a new article on the front page of the site extolling the virtues of fish oil supplements. While I completely agree that fish oil supps. are a good idea for most Americans, since our diet is woefully inadequate in Omega-3 oils, and I also agree that it would help our brain chemistry, there is a caution.
    Those of you with GERD should proceed with caution. Fish oil is notorious for causing back-up belching of stomach acid into the esophagus and can cause erosion even if you don't have GERD. If you do have GERD, you could end up like me. I took fish oil for one month, and it drastically lowered my elevated triglyceride levels, which is what I was hoping for. But, it also caused swallowing problems and made me hoarse and now I have to have an endoscopy to see what's wrong. (Having a colonoscopy also, next Monday) Even though I stopped taking it after only a month, damage was done. So, if you try it, stop the minute you notice any regurgitation, pain or discomfort of any kind. Eating two servings of cold water fish per week, taking flax seed oil and adding walnuts to your cereal or salads will help those who can't take the fish oil. Don't make my mistake. Happy eating, Klutzo
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

There is a new article on the front page of the site extolling the virtues of fish oil supplements. While I completely agree that fish oil supps. are a good idea for most Americans, since our diet is woefully inadequate in Omega-3 oils, and I also agree that it would help our brain chemistry, there is a caution.
    Those of you with GERD should proceed with caution. Fish oil is notorious for causing back-up belching of stomach acid into the esophagus and can cause erosion even if you don't have GERD. If you do have GERD, you could end up like me. I took fish oil for one month, and it drastically lowered my elevated triglyceride levels, which is what I was hoping for. But, it also caused swallowing problems and made me hoarse and now I have to have an endoscopy to see what's wrong. (Having a colonoscopy also, next Monday) Even though I stopped taking it after only a month, damage was done. So, if you try it, stop the minute you notice any regurgitation, pain or discomfort of any kind. Eating two servings of cold water fish per week, taking flax seed oil and adding walnuts to your cereal or salads will help those who can't take the fish oil. Don't make my mistake. Happy eating, Klutzo
  3. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Klutzo -

WOW, who would have thought! I'm sorry to hear
    that you're having these problems. I hope your
    testing goes well. I'll be praying for you on
    Monday.

Blessings, .......... Jillian

P.S. Thanks for warning others with GERD.
  4. ValG

ValG New Member

I just started Fish oil today. I'll keep this in mind, since I do have trouble with regurgitation occasionally. Valerie
  5. BethM

BethM New Member

I do have GERD, and if I take fish oil or oil based vitamin E capsules, I taste fish oil for days afterward! YUCK!!! I grind flax seeds and put a heaping teaspoonful into my morning blender drink. Slowly working up to a tablespoonful. I just bought a pouch of Starkist salmon, haven't tried it yet, hope it's better than the canned salmon, which is too fishy tasting for me.

Ok, now, is there a connection between FMS and GERD???

Peace,
    Beth.
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I've tried it a couple of times and it gives you such BAD gas and you belch up rotton fish taste/smell. It's horrible stuff and I can't take it anymore. The taste of the fish when I belch makes me gaggy. I took it with food, without food, nothing worked!!

Marilyn :)
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Unfortunately, there is a connection. GERD is considered to be one of the concomittant conditions of FMS. I have seen figures as high as 2/3 of FMSers eventually getting it. The muscle which keeps your stomach contents in your stomach is after all, a muscle, and it seems just about all of our muscles are a bit out of kilter in their functioning. If you are taking sedative drugs like Xanax, as I am, that can also make GERD much worse by relaxing the muscle, so it's a trade off. I have found that taking Calcium Citrate with meals helps me a lot, as well as the usual advice of smaller meals and never lying down within 2 hrs. after eating.
    Some people feel that real fish is so full of mercury now that we should only take fish oil, as it is purified first. I wish I could have taken it, as it really helped my triglyceride problem and is a great protectant for the heart as well as the brain.
    Klutzo
  8. selma

selma New Member

I never would have associated the two. Now that you pointed it out both Sol and I have GERD and have taken Ranitidine=Zantac 150 mgs for it. I stopped it because it never helped me. We've both taken the Fish Oil.

NO WONDER I BELCH SOO MUCH. I HAVE ENOUGH GAS THAT WE WILL NEVER NEED IT TO BE IMPORTED!!!!

OK , So you can't put it in your tank...

Thanks for the info.

Love, Selma
  9. clprez

clprez New Member

Thanks for the information. I take it at the behest of one of my doctors.

Boy Marilyn, I have to agree with you there. When I take it at night, I get the worst tasting belches imaginable!

I will definitely put this information to good use.

Carol
  10. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I always took it with food because of the awful gas it caused...I thought it would help! I could be out fishing in the middle of the lake after supper, with the smell of the fishy water ALL OVER the place, and I would belch and about puke!! Needless to say I don't take the stuff anymore, but my cholesterol levels are so good that I don't really need to.

Marilyn :)
  11. clprez

clprez New Member

It's good to hear that your cholesterol is good. Mine has gone up a bit, but I'm sure it's because I'm not exercising as much as I used to, and I'm not eating "good" foods.

I will still take fish oil, but I'll take it during the day. My psychiatrist told me that it helps with neurons functioning, and I need all the help I can get with this foggy brain.

Carol