RE: Social Security Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nanajw, Aug 24, 2005.

1. nanajw

nanajw New Member

Has anyone here ever gotten SSA disability when they have a currently working spouse??? i.e. does Social Security take into account how much money your "family unit" makes??

Just went to a hearing as a witness for a friend and the "medical expert" was from a different state and was on the telephone and he absolutely "toasted" my friend, calling her everything but a human. Then the judge just sat and smirked at her. This particular judge appeared to be a very mean man!! Hope they are not all that way. But he did ask her what her marital status was and asked how she was living now (she's on disability from her work) and asked her how much her disability was. Needless to say, my friend was totally devistated after their "medical expert" testified. He said he totally disagreed with her physicians as far as their diagnosis and treatment. Even told the judge that he didn't believe that she'd had a heart attack (even tho she had supporting documents from her cardiologist). They questioned her for over 2 hours. Whew -- that was tough!

My hearing will be coming up in several months but after witnessing how this one went, I don't know if I want to put myself thru that kind of torture!!!
  2. over50

over50 New Member

And your poor friend,I hope she can put that horrible experience behind her. It is just a crime the way some people are treated.I hope you can take someone with you.
    My husband works and I was approved for SSDI.
    I had a company BTS, that helps people with their cases,and then they take a bunch of money.
    I was denied the first time,then appealed and was accepted.
    It was a long,bumpy trip.
    I went to each of my Drs and got records,and made sure they were on my side and would tell the truth.
    The Drs filled out forms from BTS,and I think my psych may have written a letter.I have FMS/CFS depression,DDD,IBS, cognitive thinking probs,you know, all the fun things.We will all be praying for you and your friend,I hope if she gets denied,she will appeal.Take care,Linda
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

As the others have said, it does not matter if your spouse is working.

And ... it does not matter how much your family unit makes.

I was worried about that, because I had to indicate how much of a pension from my job that I was already receiving, as well as how much my husband made.

I thought that info would definitely get my application thrown in the trash can!

However, I received my APPROVAL on my very first try!

So, I don't know anything about the judges, hearings, etc. Except that I do know that what your friend had to go through was awful! I hope that "medical expert" gets what's due him in the end!!

Good luck on your hearing!

Janet
  4. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

i was such a bundle of nerves when I went for my hearing. I couldn't believe some of the things that person came out with. I (of course) had to throw a mini tantrum on him in the middle of his testimony that I work work in a factory assembly line if I could convince the manager to let me use a barstool.

I was very lucky. The judge I had was very compassionate. He was even nice when he told me to be quiet. the job of the medical expert if to tell the judge that there are things you can do. It's all a part of the beaurocratic show they have to put on. Just think of how much SSA would save if they didn't use these morons at every hearing.

They always ask how you support yourself. I told the judge I was married and my husband worked. It's a great big show they put on. They intimmidate 1/2 the applicants to not appeal. I think it's a way of weeding out the ones that really don't NEED it.

the whole process is so scary because it's so important.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you have an experienced atty., which I highly recommend, he or she will likely know the judge and know how the hearings usually play out.

Whether one is married does not affect SSD but total household income figures into SSI. Also, they often like to get an idea of how one manages to care for oneself, whether there are others in the family who can help with activities of daily living.

The judge asked if I could still drive, which I can, and he noted that my Mom had died. She had filled out a questionnaire for SS when she was still alive. They wanted to know how I managed to take care of myself.

Good luck to you. Don't assume if the hearing is rough that you will not get approved. My judge was pretty much poker faced and I wasn't sure except that my atty. told me we had an excellent case and he know the judge. The judge did talk to him after the hearing and I think he probably told him he was going to approve it.

Love, Mikie