?? re: South Beach or Atkins diets??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Sep 5, 2003.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

For those of you who have FMS and have tried these programs, what have been your results? Have you felt better? worse? lost weight? been successful or given up on it? I usually feel better when I eat protein, and now that the summer fruit season is ending, I feel like I could maybe give this a try. My NP believes that the 40 pounds I need to lose are responsible for much of my problem list, especially the GERD, and she could be right, I don't know. Would be lovely to lose even half or a quarter of that weight, and maybe feel better.

Just wondering...
    Beth.
  2. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

I followed the Atkins induction diet for two weeks. I made the special bread, watched my portions and lost 1 1/2 lbs. I am allergic to wheat, so I do not eat many bread items anyway. I think if I did I would have lost more. Of course two weeks was not very long for the diet either. I have since been diagnosed with a carbohydrate metabolism problem which may have had something to do with it too. My son (27 yrs) follows Atkins and has great success with it. I talked to one lady who said she went on it and of course her husband, not wanting to cook for himself, ate the same thing. Her husband was a diabetic and his blood sugars were the best they had ever been.
  3. jat

jat New Member

I've been asking the same question. I think my hubby and I have decided to go with the South Beach because he could not possibly give up his favorite foods for long (pasta, bread, rice). The south beach lets you slowly add certain carbs back into your diet, I think after only 2 weeks.

good luck!
  4. NancyDrew

NancyDrew New Member

I have been on the Atkins Diet for several months. I have FMS and think maybe some wheat allergies. I refuse to get on the scales, too depressing, but I have gone done a size. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has helped me more than anything except pain medication.

Make sure you take a good multi-vitamin. Good luck!
  5. kgg

kgg New Member

He loves the South Beach diet. He says he doesn't crave doing the South Beach. Atkins, he craved all the time. My mom did the Atkins and put weight on! No fun . . .
  6. patsull

patsull New Member

Beth, I have had really good results with Atkins. My blood sugar has reverted to normal. I am on meds, not insulin to control my blood sugar. I have lost about 24 pounds. I don't find this to be a particularly difficult diet. I did the induction phase, though I did not adhere to the diet as closely as I should have. I have had really good success with it. I have lost weight and my blood sugar has reverted to a normal level. I want to see how my cholesterol does on this. I have high cholesterol and I would be thrilled if it would come down. Guess I should be happy with normal blood sugar. I have not suffered unduly with the Atkins. Of course, this diet may not suit everyone but I am pleased with my progress. Hope this helps.