re: ssd, is it true?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mamafurr, Jun 27, 2003.

1. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

that one's total household income can cause denial of benefits? when i tried to apply 1 yr ago they said my hubby made 4000.00 too much per year. how can you be denied from something you worked for for a reason like that. geez it's not welfare or anything like that. i'm in the state of california...need i say more?
    thanks in advance
    alice
  2. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

SSD has nothing to do with your husbands income. It is on you when you put in and how much, on you only. Now SSDI may use household income. You are right, you pd. into it, it is yours. Who gave you that info?

I would recheck that, some people I know their husbands make a very decent income his is never concidered since he is not the 1 putting in for it.
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

SS has two disability programs.
    SSDI, which is based on YOUR earnings, and which requires you to have worked a certain number of years in a job which had SS deductions withheld from your paycheck.
    SSI, which is need based, and requires your entire family to be in a poverty bracket or worse. This program is for people who are disabled, but have not worked long enough to qualify for SSDI.
    Hope this helps.
    Kate
  4. bakron

bakron New Member

Disability . . "benefits are paid under two programs: the Social Security disability insurance program and the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. For most people, the medical requirements for disability payments are the same under both programs and a person’s disability is determined by the same process. While eligibility for Social Security disability is based on prior work under Social Security, SSI disability payments are made on the basis of financial need. And there are other differences in the eligibility rules for the two programs.
    When . .(SSA) determines the eligibility and amount of payment for an SSI recipient, they consider the income and resources of people responsible for the recipient's welfare. This concept is called "deeming." It is based on the idea that those who have a responsibility for one another share their income and resources. It does not matter if money is actually provided to an eligible individual for deeming to apply.
    When an eligible (for benefits) individual lives in the same household with an ineligible spouse, the income and resources of the ineligible spouse are deemed available to the eligible individual."

(From the on-line SSA website.)
  5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I have talked to quite a few online that have told
    me this and I never could believe it. I am on
    SSDI and I am single. However, I live with my mother
    due to all my health problems and the fact that she
    is my best friend!

I was talking to the SS office here once and I asked
    if I would lose my benefits if I got married. She told
    me absolutely not. I earned my disability during
    the years I was able to work. This is what I think