? re: SSDI and failed work attempt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mrs. B, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

Hello,

After being on short term disability from work since April and not feeling much better I went on and applied for SSDI. I started new meds about a month ago and my STD is up next week. I am considering going back to work although I'm not sure I'll be able to keep the job. My question is when and how should I notify the SSA? They probably have only begun with my original app and I don't want them to stop processing it since I would probably be denied the first time anyway. Does anyone know about these things?

Lisa
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2003]
  2. shazz

shazz New Member

I don't have a clue, I just applied myself this week, although I do know that you can make up to 800.00 per month while you are applying providing it is SSD and not SSI you have applied for.
    My lawyer told me to keep it less than that though, because if you are very close to that limit, they may consider you will do fine without SS.

Shazz
  3. momneon

momneon New Member

In my working years, I kept missing work due to illness, and finally got so bad I applied for SS dis. It took 4 months to get it. Before I applied for it I kept going back to work. From everyone I talked to, if you go back to work before you are granted the SS dis, they feel like you believe you can still work, and it lessens your chance of getting it granted. After you are on dis, wait for a while, then if you really feel like you can work, you can talk to the SS about it. They have a program in place that lets you try to work for a while.
    It was hard for me to decide to apply, but I can't see me being able to hold down a good job for the next 30 years. Think it over carefully. You don't want to blow your chances now.
  4. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

who had failed work attempts believed that it had helped their case. Thank you for your reply. I wonder if there are any other opinions or past experiences.

Thanks again,
    Lisa
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

you need to be "disabled" for 6 months in order to qualify. Then the "you need to expect to be unable to work for 12 months" thing might come in. I'm not sure if disabled means totally not working or what.

You can go to the Social Security web site and see if it says anything, or call SS, or call a disability attorney.
  6. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I will check the other website about the 12 months and see what I find. I hadn't considered that angle since I had read about the failed attempt at work. :)

Thanks again,
    Lisa

[ advertisement ]