? Re "the shake" and thyroid supplements

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pianowoman, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

How do people on thyroid supplements do 'the shake' or do you? The problem is that I'm told to take the thyroid in the morning and it must be 4 hours away from any source of Calcium There is calcium in the whey. Is there any way around this?

Thanks
    Kathy
  2. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

do the shake, but I usually do the shake at lunch time, as I don't do mornings, and go back to bed as soon as I get my kids off to school. Is there enought calcium in whey to interfer?
    Raz
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hi Kathy:
    My doctor has told me specifically that the exact amount of replacements for thyroid trouble has to be just that: exact.
    I was even told to get the brand name and not the generic because even the slightest difference matters.
    Why, I do not know, but that has been my experience with thyroid therapy.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Thanks everyone, I'll see what I can figure out.
    Kathy.
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I take compounded T3 thyroid supplement and eat the shake for breakfast.

My T3 bottle says to take it 2 hours away from any calcium or iron, not 4. So I take my thyroid when I wake up for my 4am pee. Sometimes I'm lucky and I sleep til 5am! Then I eat the shake around 7-8am.

Are you taking compounded thyroid? If so, call the pharmacy that makes it and ask them if the 4 hours is a firm time. It may be that 2 hours is okay for you, too.

Katy
  7. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm taking Synthroid (T4) and I'm not sure whether there's a difference with the calcium. It was the pharmacy that said 4 hrs.
    I'll see what else I can find out, 4 hrs. may be stretching it a bit.
    Thanks.

Kathy.