RE: Update on my Vitamin D.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjfms, Jun 3, 2009.

1. kjfms

kjfms Member

I have been on prescription Vitamin D (50,000 IU per week) for about 4 months. It is amazing, to me, the increase in my energy levels. I thought that a few months ago I was feeling better, however it was nothing like I am feeling now.

I have started to actually clean my house even more than a few months ago and yesterday I worked outside for a couple of hours!

I still have FMS but I have always done better when I move more...that is just the way I am and I am not referring to anyone else, just me :)

I am in pain today and very shaky so I am doing a few inside chores and nothing major. I think I have been overdoing it because I am also sore but it is a good kind of sore - if that makes any sense.

We have a storm front so this has my FMS and migraine disease acting up, which is too normal for me.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with anyone taking prescription and getting discouraged.

Hang in there!

It has taken a lot longer than I expected but is is so worth it. I am praying that I will get stronger and stronger.

2. vivian53

vivian53 Member

I am so glad the vitamin D is making you feel better. My son is taking it too but hasn't gotten full benefits yet.

Do you have a malabsorption problem or just don't get out in the sun enough or what?

I also take Vit D. Unfortunately when I saw my doc several weeks ago he said I had TOO MUCH D and needed to cut back. Then when I was reading the website I read that one cause of the pain could be too much Vit D.

What a conundrum!

I am also hoping you will get stronger and stronger
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Kina,

Awesome awesome awesome news!!! Did you know that Vitamin D3 is the best kind to take? The body absorbs Vitamin D3 much faster then the other types of Vitamin D. See if you wish for more info. You might be able to take less vitamin d for less money b/c you can buy it OTC.

My husband took 50,000 of OTC Vitamin D3 for about 6 weeks because he was very deficient. He took the OTC kind because our insurance co. would not pay for the prescription kind. It worked quickly because he took Vitamin D3 instead of regular Vitamin D (of course I realize everyone is different also). His doc was surprised it worked so fast. His levels were at 19 to begin with.

OTC Vitamin D3 is safe, more effective, and cheaper then the RX. Hope this helps.

Glad you are feeling better and hope it continues!

[This Message was Edited on 06/03/2009]
  4. bunnyrabs

bunnyrabs New Member

Have you had your calcium levels checked? I've read that too much Vitamin D can cause hypercalcemia. You are on 6000 a day. I am only taking 1000 of Vit D3 per day, but my level was only 21 while yours was 15. But now I wonder if I am going to need much more than that based on what you are taking.
  5. bunnyrabs

bunnyrabs New Member

That's a long time to get the levels up at 4000 units a day. At 1000 unites it will take me a century to get my levels up. I know that fat soluble vitamins like Vit. D are stored up over time, so I guess it is a slow process.

I have an appointment soon and will have the levels retested. My guess is that my Vit. D will have barely moved from its low. We'll see.
  6. slevah

slevah New Member

For those of you who like to read .... here is a link for High dose Vitamin D

Putting ā€œDā€ Into Clinical Practice. In patients with pain,
    researchers have examined daily vitamin D supplementation
    ranging from 600 IU to 50,000 IU,19,27,116 as well as much larger

[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2009]
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

Thank you. Good luck to you also.

8. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am kjfms/Karen not kjm/Kina...

Thank you. I am under my physician's care and doing very well. Prescription Vitamin D is not that expensive. I pay around $11.00 per month and take one 50,000 IU gelcap each week. I haven't any insurance so this is really not so bad.

While I do appreciate your advice, I was only giving an update.

Thanks again,

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2009]
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

To whom are you speaking? I am sorry but you have lost me completely.

Thanks you,

10. kjfms

kjfms Member

My thread seems to have taken on a life of its own. I will let you all continue.

Have a great day,

11. tony233

tony233 New Member
    Link doesn't work
  12. vivian53

vivian53 Member

sorry I added an extra f, it is[This Message was Edited on 06/06/2009]
    AND I tried to make it a link but couldn't evidently.[This Message was Edited on 06/06/2009]
  13. vivian53

vivian53 Member

Hi Jam. I don't really know what my level was, I think he said 50 but after reading your post that seems to be in the optimal range.

I think I have been taking too much. It is in my multi and in my Calcium supplement for a total of 1,200 a day.

I am cutting back to 600 q d I guess.