Re: you gave me help for pie crust

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Asatrump, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Last week I asked for help making pie crust with the intention of making home made apple pie.

I read on the internet Granny Smith apples are best for pies. I just looked at them in the grocery store and kept on walking. $1.99 a pound.... WOW. Other apples were 1.49 lb.

For what a home made pie costs we could eat out for dinner, especially with one of our coupon books.

Color me lazy and cheap. I strongly suspect come Thanksgiving Mrs. Smith will be baking my pumpkin and apple pie! Wish I could visit each of you who do go to the time and effort for pie which has to be a labor of love!

I'll bring coffee, ice cream, whipped cream and a husband who has never been spoiled!

Thanks for your help though.
  2. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

Pies are a labor of LOVE and MONEY! It's no wonder "gourmet" (meaning home-made-style) pies are SO expensive!

What, with 2 cubes of butter and the cost of fruit, one could easily spend 5 bucks on a home-made pie. I don't blame you a bit for handing it to Mrs. Smith. Bless those who have their own fruit trees. You might be able to scrimp on the apples by purchasing an economy BAG of apples that might not be top grade, but still just as suitable. Or maybe you could find cosmetically-challenged apples at a fruit stand.

Sheesh, I sound like a little-old-pie-baker. YEARS ago, I used to make them a lot for a pie-mad boyfriend, but these days, I make maybe 2 pies a year. I just was planning to make one TONITE for company...which is why your original post caught my eye. OK, truth is I'm making a "tarte tatin"...much easier to my thinking and yummier. Carmelize some sugar in a sauce pan, throw in cut-up apples, top with ONE pie crust and bake.

I love to THINK about food and cooking and i love to EAT...but I don't really enjoy cooking! This is a belated birthday dinner for a friend. Gotta go mix up that crust.

-----Mrs. UnSmith
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I am still getting apples at the fruit stand for .79 a lb! Grannys, Cameos, Reds, Goldens, and Johnnygolds. They might even have Jazz this week. Of course they are closing on Sunday so it will be back to the store for apples after that.

I'm loading up this week!

I guess I've never paid much attention to what it costs to make pie. For Thanksgiving every year I make pecan and banana cream, my sister makes pumpkin and rhubarb, my daughter makes cheese cake. (We could probably just skip dinner all together and there is nothing like pumpkin or banana cream pie for breakfast!)

My brother has always made the apple but since his cancer diagnosis he moved to Oregon and won't be home for Thanksgiving this year. First time in 15 years we haven't all been together at my sister's house. Maybe one of his sons will come and bring the apple pie. One of them is a wonderful cook!

You could buy the ingredients a few at a time; butter this week, flour next, and apples last. That would spread the cost out!

4. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

What a hoot...... cosmetically challenged fruit.

Think I can include myself in that category!

Thanks for the grin!
  5. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I suspect it is partially the cost, but partially maybe I am looking for an excuse not to bother.

I know also that my family eats fast.... it seems like all the work going into a pie, people should eat one bite and savor it.

LOL, I always ask eating out if they have home made pies. Guess that helps add to the fact I have no worry over slipping down the proverbial bath tub drain.
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's just more cost effective to buy a frozen pie like Mrs. Smith's since they often go on sale and there are often coupons for the pies with the Sunday newspaper.

The brand of frozen pie I prefer though is called Marie Callenders. My mother bought Mrs' Smith's for years and still does, but only when she can't get the Marie's. Try one--I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy it!