reaction to dental work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clueless, Jan 6, 2003.

1. clueless

clueless New Member

i had a filling done today. I have prolapse heart valve and took antibiotics and really hoped I could get through it with no adverse effects but no such luck! It seems that anything that enters your body that is foreign is going to give you problems.I could hardly walk when I got out of the chair and my husband had to support me to the car. It was bed for me for most of the rest of the day.Is this the usual reaction that others have had fom dental work? I would really be interested to know if others have had this reaction. Clueless
  2. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I've had tons of dental work done and occasionally end up with a "neuritis" in my face - very painful! I've used Neurontin for it and also some other drug that made my vision blurred. I think I react to the injections of lidocaine or what ever they use. I have had so many root canals and I have learned to wait a while to see if the symptoms pass. Sometimes it works and sometimes I have had an abscess (ouch!)
  3. jolly

jolly New Member

God, I feel like I'm the queen of dental work. Did you do the nitrous oxide? That stuff kept me in the chair for a half hour after he was through...very dizzy. Another thing you might consider is your neck arteries. Many women having their hair washed at the beauty salon have trouble from their blood not getting through the artery going to the head because of the position. This can also happen in a dental situation.

One time I had a headache for 3 days from having my teeth cleaned...never did figure that one out except that keeping your mouth open wide for long periods can cause trigger points to form in your muscles. That's another thing you should check for, but I don't think it would cause dizziness. Also, the fillings. What are they made of? I'm sure you'll figure it out and never do it again! Good luck, Jo Ellen
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

One of the side affects of Epinephrine is a racing pulse, so expect it and know that it will slow itself down.

I read an article once on the high incidence of stroke in elderly women at hair salons. The neck rest you put yourself in while getting your hair washed applys pressure to the side of the neck, can cut off your blood flow to the brain and cause a stroke. Not good! I always try to hold my neck up and off the neck rest.

I have had tons of dental work done and long ago used to use the laughing gas. If they don't put you on oxygen right after using it, you stay "drunk" for awhile. I no longer use lidocaine (some call it novocaine, but that hasn't been used since the early 60's) as a local anesthesia. We have a dentist here in town thats using that air abrasian method for filling teeth. I decided to brave it without pain killer and it's not all that bad. The dentist said that the older we get, the more the nerves shrink away from our teeth, so it's easier for them to do a filling without a needle.

Find a new dentist and lose the needles and injections. You'll feel so much better afterwards!

Marilyn :)
  5. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

You wrote:

< I am a root canal queen!

I've had tons of dental work done and occasionally end up with a "neuritis" in my face - very painful! I've used Neurontin for it and also some other drug that made my vision blurred. I think I react to the injections of lidocaine or what ever they use. I have had so many root canals and I have learned to wait a while to see if the symptoms pass. Sometimes it works and sometimes I have had an abscess (ouch!) >

I'm really nervous about this. I have an appointment with an endodontist on Jan. 8, and I strongly suspect I will need a root-canal job. I'm still pretty new to fibro (diagnosed around the beginning of last September) and don't really know how my body will react to such indignities. To complicate matters further, I also have multiple sclerosis, GERD, IBS, and TMJ dysfunction. And my latest blood test shows an elevated liver enzyme count; so I have to be careful about taking Tylenol and NSAIDs for pain. I take 200mg of Neurontin at bedtime and 100mg in the morning, but I'm not sure what, if anything, it's doing for me. I still have achiness virtually all the time, with periodic stabbing pain if I move the wrong way. (And I'm often not aware of what the wrong way is until it's too late!)

For a while, I thought the jaw and tooth pain might be referred pain from trigger points, but I've had swelling in the gum next to one particular tooth for several weeks now, though it seems to get better and then get worse again rather than just staying the same, and the pain in my teeth doesn't seem as bad as it was.

Anyway, I'm going in for a consult on Jan. 8. If you have any sage advice, I'd appreciate hearing it!

--Laura R.M. (af752@lafn.org)
  6. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

I dread having dental work done. My dentist has to give me about 6 injections of lidocaine just to freeze the tooth about %90. Then I end up with a frozen eyelid on that side of my face and can't close my eye for an hr. Ever had a tooth crowned when it's not completely frozen ? I did and never will again. If I let them put me to sleep for the dental work, it would take me a week to recover.
  7. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I love my dentist and frequently when I'm having pain when my rheumie won't give me anything,,,, my dentist always will!!! He's been a life saver! lidocaine has gotten to the point of not working at all for me..... however the dentist accepts that and gives me sedation!! It's lifesaving for me cause I wouldn't go.....
    a word about epinephrine in the lidocaine..... it gives me sloughing of tissues in my mouth.... great big blisters that peel off.... so ask your dentist to be aware.... It is not surprising to me that so few dentists know that lido doesn't work for us... seems like they'd put it together and figure something else out.... what other diagnosis does this???? my dentist says none.... well guys.... in my humble opinion that there is a big ole clue *DUH*.....
    at any rate..... I always dread the dentist visit just in case he tells me I need more work! I already have the bionic mouth!!!!!! Good luck!