Reaction to flu shot? Major flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by ILoveGreen, Dec 29, 2012.

1. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

Has anyone had a reaction to the flu shot?

About a month ago I had a flu shot. Since then, I've been having hot/cold sweats unlike ever before. (I've been through the worst of menopausal hot flashes over the past 3 yrs, so have ruled that out for the mostpart.)

During one of my "burn ups", I took my temp: it was over 100, which is very high for me since my "normal" is 95.7.

Out of town, I e-mailed my doc who said I was prob having a reaction to the vaccination based on the hot/cold sweats, but if the fever continued for more than 3 dys to see a Dr.

The fever comes & goes, so I'm not sure what to do.

Any ideas on how long this will last???
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

and it wouldn't be as I've NOT done a flu vaccine in over 25 yrs and have no plans to do so, since you have a fever etc I would, I guess, take some aspirin for a while and see how that goes....

MOST of my friends don't get the vaccine, some others do and one lady had a local reaction but wasn't sick.

So many toxins in those shots, it's hard to know what it's done to you. Sounds like a good chance it's the cause..but who knows anything for sure. jam
  3. GBHope

GBHope New Member

OMG! I saw this and feel so bad for you. This happened to me. I got the flu vaccine and the pediatric pneumonia vaccine and have been horribly ill ever since on top of already having CFS/Fibromyalgia/chronic EBV, etc. I got it a little over a year ago and it is still giving me grief. I got really dizzy and it greatly exacerbated my sinus and ear symptoms and fatigue and weakness. I do hope that this calms down for you quickly. I agree with jaminhealth that there are so many toxins in those things and I just was so desperate for some relief I made a very bad choice that has greatly cost me my health. Unfortunately right before I got the shot over the year of 2011 I had been having increasing levels of EBV that showed that it was chronic or reactivated. It has been a nightmare. They wanted me to have the shots to help my immune system because I kept having chronic sinus issues. Worst mistake of my life and sinus issues are 10x worse now. I'm not saying these things to upset you, just sympathizing and hoping that your immune system calms down and you feel better soon!!! I will never get a vaccine again since I am so allergic. My arm swelled up really bad too and turned hot and red. I don't know how long those stupid pneumonia shots last for pediatric, but I think adult is 5 years. I hope you feel better soon!!!!
  4. jaminhealth

strong is KEY and then you wouldn't get the shots...for me and many of my friends, grape seed extract keeps us healthy...I'm taking it 17 yrs now.

Grape seed extract for a MAJOR thing, got rid of allergies and sinus issues I had all my life before 1995.....that's when I started on this powerful antioxidant...

For EBV, I continue daily with Olive Leaf Extract 500mg daily for sure and have taken OLE for a lot of years, 6 or so for sure...I had high EBV numbers years ago when I started on this path.

MANY have EBV in their bodies. jam
  5. GBHope

GBHope New Member

That's great that you found what worked for you. I had what worked for me and started working too much from home and ran myself down, thus the chronic flareups unless there is a mold issue in my home. I had a physician say my C4a was quite high and that it could be from mold or lyme, but lyme tests were negative. It could be from virus and infection too, as this is a marker for inflammation. I was able to get out of the house for 5 days when we went to Cleveland Clinic and may have helped a little bit here and there, but not consistently. I had horrible sinus symptoms at the hotel as there was a strong smell of carpet freshner and air freshner across the hall in the garbage room. I had some improvement over the past 3 months with some symptoms, but things just keep on flaring up and coming back. I have also recently found out I have a gene A1298 for MTHFR. I don't know how much this could be contributing to my symptoms too. I just know I wouldn't wish a vaccine reaction on anyone and like Jaminhealth said, getting the immune system strong is important. For me, that has been easier said than done unfortunately, but I keep on trying, LOL.
  6. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

I agree with you both. Grapeseed is one of my mainstays for immune support, among others. It was a really tough decision to get or not to get the flu shot this year. The deciding factor for me was the predicted strength of the viral strain and it's impact. While I do not believe in the vaccination due to the toxic ingredients as mentioned, it is necessary to keep things in perspective.

My professional background is in Occupational Safety & Health. A large part of my field of study is Industrial Hygiene, or the study of chemicals and the impact on the human body. When considering any foreign substance, one has to consider the frequency and duration of exposure: Basically, how often and how long one is exposed to said substance. Is it ppm or ppb? (parts per million or parts per billion?) How much and how long is of acceptable risk? I am in total agreement about staying away from any and all unneccessary chemicals after sampling toxic and hazardous substances for my job for a number of years. I now believe that my exposure to chemicals may be the cause of my incurring CFS at age 40 and FM at age 46. I am also aware that I am probably hypersensitive to ingredients in the flu shot because these exposures to unknown waste streams used by Research & Development Engineer labs for products we now use everyday, like CDs and DVDs. If the CDC wants to build a case with someone about chemical contamination, let it be me.

I opted to have the flu shot because in good conscience I do not see how anyone in good conscience could not protect themselves and others by not complying with that requirement. I skipped getting a flu shot in 2011 and felt as if I had the flu alll winter long, sort of like when I first got CFS, but that was the winter after my mother died and I made a conscious decision not to be around the elderly and take some time off for myself. In the previous 5 yrs that I'd had flu shots while caring for my parents I'd never had a reaction.

Today, after a month of fever spikes, relentless chills, and dizzy spells to the point of nearly fainting, I finally went to the Dr. She ran 3 blood tests: a CBC, a sed rate, and a TSH. Her nurse called and said my thyroid level was off, but when I checked the #s online, they were w/in the normal range. I think my Dr. did not want to acknowledge that I had indeed had an adverse reaction to the vaccination. Since this took place earlier this evening, I need to have a discussion with my Dr. or e-mail her (again) because I believe I meet the qualifications for the vaccinaton compensation program according to the CDC guidelines.

There is much more to the story and how it impacts my current situation, but that is superfluous at this point.

GBHope, I am so sorry to hear that you had a similar experience. All I can think of is people who have children who've experienced lifelong, life-CHANGING effects from vaccinations which cannot be undone, and what they must be going through. To me, this is like the flare of a lifetime. I'm a strong person. Bring it on. I've lived a good life, better than I'd ever hoped for. A poor innocent child doesn't deserve to be tainted for life, nor do their parents deserve to be poo-pooed by Drs. who tell them "it's not the vaccination". People should be screened more thoroughly prior to being vaccinated. Like Jimmy Kimmel said, "If you go into a CVC Drugstore, anyone can give you a flu shot. You can walk up to the stock boy and say, 'Hey, can I get a flu shot?' and he'll give you one." I don't think it's quite that easy, but close.

7. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I'm so sorry you're going through what you're going through after having that stinken vaccine. I pray that things will get better for both of us. It is really rough, as the thing that the 2 shots were supposed to help, has been attacked by these vaccines and escalated out of control. My sinuses and ears and balance system and rest of my body have been under attack since October 2011 and yes I have had times where things have gotten a little bit better in the past 3 months, but I feel like I'm trying to get sinus issues again worse than they usually are. Then again everyone has been sick everywhere I turn, so who knows if that is affecting my immune system too. Makes me sick that they are putting all those toxic chemicals into those vaccines and wish I could have a "do over," but this is my life like you said up above, "bring it own," and I have to try and keep on fighting. It is not easy some days, as I'm sure you well know. I pray that both of us will start feeling better eventually. I, like you, feel like I'm in the worst flare of my life. I had horrible sore throats and swollen glands with it too on top of all the nausea, weakness, pain, etc. I'm so, so sorry you had to experience this. I feel really bad for the young kids that have had these bad reactions too. That's just horrible!!!
  8. MicheleK

MicheleK Moderator

I am sorry that you have been feeling so lousy since your flu shot. Sometimes it feels like we just can't win.

Many can take the flu shot without reactions, such as you mentioned you have in the past, and many cannot. But having so much immune system fluctuation with these illnesses, one snapshot in time has no comparison with another snapshot in time. So we really never know how we will react to stuff. It's a frustrating thing.

I hope you will get back to where you were before the flu shot. And yes, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the doctor to admit you could have gotten sick from the shot. Vaccinations create an immune response. For those of us who have complicated and fluctuating immune system issues, these immune responses can be nothing like those that the vaccinations are tested on in clinical trials.

All the best to you. Hugs, MicheleK
  9. Hello to all, I thought i must be going crazy! I got my flu shot 3wks ago, and have been sick ever since, fever, hot and cold, it started 2 days after getting the flu shot, my husband told me not to get it but i did anyways because of my low immune system, guess he was right this time lol, i havent been able to function at all, sorry you all are having the same problems, but im glad to know its not just me going thru this, my prayers to all
    sun
  10. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

While I am sorry to hear of others' pain, I am a bit relieved to learn that I am not the only one experiencing these exacerbated symptoms!
    Here is the website I came across while researching "adverse reactions to flu vaccinations" www.VAERS.hhs.gov Also, cdc.gov

There is a link to an attorney if one would choose to apply for compensation. For right now, I would liike to notify the CDC of the need to more effectively screen prospective flu vaccination recipients PRIOR to them receiving the vaccination. I do not think a questionnaire @ any drugstore suffices in this regard on what turns out to be such a major health issue for so many of us.

Best of luck to all of you.
  11. jaminhealth

it's amazing what it's come to...vaccines in the drug stores and grocery stores.....

When I've seen them in the drug store go behind the curtain for a "shot" I want to scream out, don't.......get on grapeseed ex, build up your immune system....but I don't....

Guess everyone has to go thru their own stuff. take care

The CDC doesn't care, they are all in it for the money...for the most part as I see it.
  12. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

My understanding is that even those immersed in conventional medicine do NOT recommend flu shots for anybody with a compromised or dysfunctional immune system, which most of us believe is a predominant feature of CFS.

I'm going to see a new naturopathic physician on Friday, who treats people with "vaccine injury". I don't know what he does exactly to do this, but because he is also a homeopath, I'm guessing it may be homeopathy oriented. I'll get back if I find out anything that sounds hopeful, and may help some of you who are currently dealing with the tragic aftermath from a flu shot.[This Message was Edited on 01/02/2013]
  13. jaminhealth

did you get a "shot"...didn't think that's something in your remedy arsenal....jam
  14. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Jam,

I believe I sustained some degree of vaccine injury back when I was in grade school over 40 years ago. I was soooo sick for many weeks (perhaps months) afterward, and as I've looked back, have come to believe this helped set the stage for my developing Chronic Fatigue IMMUNE DYSFUNCTION Syndrome (CFIDS), a name that I've long felt should never have been abandoned.
  15. mojono

mojono New Member

I saw this and it sounds so much like what I have been going through since I had a flu shot almost four weeks ago. I was on the fence about having it since I remember having somewhat of a flare last year when I got one. Two years ago I got the flu and was so miserable that I was afraid of getting that again. Also, my husband kept bugging me to have one. He doesn't seem to understand how some people can react badly to them. Anyway, ever since I had the shot all my pain has gotten worse, especially the sacroiliac pain that I have been dealing with. I have been receiving prolotherapy treatment on it and was about 50% better until this. The timing of this was bad since around the same time I went off my hormone replacement therapy because of constant nausea on it. I thought I was doing good for about the first three weeks off of it, then I got the flu shot, and now am having this major flare. So I don't know if it is from the flu shot, or the lack of hormones, or both. Is there anything you can take that helps if the flare is from the flu shot? I just hope this isn't permanent.
  16. jaminhealth

you do prolo work, I've had some and it can help. Thinking about it for my knee soon....sorry for your "shot" misery...

I will no longer touch them, well it's been over 25 yrs, I can't imagine starting now.

Get that immune strong and don't do the toxic vaccines....

Wayne, I didn't think you did the shots but your post sounded like maybe you did....good to see you pop in and do it more...I enjoy all you've offered over the many years...jam
  17. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I don't get it anymore. I know of a friend of my friend who got a flu shot about 5 years ago. She landed in the hospital a day later and now is on oxygen 24/7 because of COPD. It was more than a year later that she found out it was a tainted batch. I don't trust the makers of these meds.
  18. jaminhealth

shots in the dark.....blind faith in these shots. We don't hear of all the damages done nationwide, worldwide.....
  19. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I had the flu back in 1998, very bad flu at the time. I had a fever of 102 which normally I don't remember those kind of things..........but that one I did. I was sick for about 8 days, I had Fibro at the time, but I was not diagnosed with fibro yet.

Because of this bad flu, I decided to get a flu shot back in 2000, and I remember feeling the way you are right now. I just wasn't feeling right. I always felt like I was on the verge of a flu, but never really got the full blown flu.

Because my reaction was nasty, I decided I would chance it and never get the flu shot again. It has now been 12 years without one and I probably won't ever get one again.

I work in a hospital, I do work clerical, so I am not exposed to patients on a daily basis........but let me tell you, when you work in a hospital, they pretty much try to push you into getting the shot. This year I had to sign a waiver and have a special sticker put on my hospital badge stating that I refused the flu shot. I was not the only one, many other employees didn't get one either, but I am suspecting that maybe with us having fibro, we might be slightly my susceptible to getting "reactions" from it...........not necessarily the flu, but just tha awful feeling anyway.

I felt off for about 6 weeks after my shot, but, thankfully it went away and I was just left with the typical fibro symptoms that I always and still do deal with, so it probably was the shot, but who knows for sure. Just take extra care of yourself and don't overdue anything.

PS, my doctor at the time wanted me to try the shot again the next year, and I thought, "Oh sure, easy for you to say. I just ignored him, it wasn't worth getting upset about. I do wash my hands very well while I am at the hospital and try to get extra rest as to protect myself, but so far, I have not had the official flu since 1998, so far so good. Take care of yourself. Hugs, Chelz.
  20. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. It does absolutely no good for those of us on this board to harp at one another about what we did or didn't do in the past!
    We can only change the future, and through our combined efforts, prevent others from being victimized by reckless "professionals" who claim to know better than we do about our condition.
    If everyone who has had an adverse reaction files a report with the CDC and states that they have CFS &/or FM, maybe something will change. Until then, we're just a bunch of hens clucking.
    Yes, I feel stupid for getting the vacinnation, but then I'd feel stupid if I had my head in a bucket, vomiting for weeks on end or worse yet, if I wound up hospitalized just the same.
    If you've had an adverse reaction, please go to www.VAERS.hhh.gov and fill out the form. There is a practice-run form you can read through so you can be prepared to fill in the online form. It only takes a few minutes. You can also print out the form and fax or send it in.
    The CDC is not without flaw, but I think they do a relatively good job at compiling info and stepping in when there are outbreaks of disease as well as doing epidemiologic studies in general. Granted, our CFS funds were misallocated, but that was during the Bush era when many funds were misallocated while at the same time the war on drugs was on and illegal drugs were being imported by our military! So there. Educate thyself, and then speak out about who is doing what for $.
    The way I see it, getting vaccinated comes with the same risk as having surgery: you sign a waiver acknowleging that there is a 1 in 100,000 (or something) chance that you will have a bad experience, hoping that you are not that 1. For those of us with CFS/FM, the odds are stacked against us and our docs should warn us of that!