Reactions to Medications

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marjidoll, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

Hi My name is Margie and I'm new here. I was diagnosed a year and a half ago with fibromyalgia. I've had in about 7 years since a major surgery. Never been healthy since.

During that recovery and ever since I have not been able to tolerate prescription medications. I have had some type of reaction (usually itching) to almost everything.
    Celebrex landed me in the ER with a rapid heart rate after taking it for 3 months.

I never had problems like this before fibro.
    Anybody else have this kind of problems and what do you do about it? I mean sometimes, you need medications.Currently I take nothing but Tylenol.

By the way, this site is wonderful. I run an on-line support group but there is so much great information here.

Thanks for any help.
  2. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Marji...welcome to the board, yes it's a great place for information, and support.

You will find that there are large numbers of patients with these Disorders (FM and CFS) that are very sensitive to medications. Many rely on supplements and vitamins due to their high sensitivity. Multiple Chemical Sensitivity is also very common.

Just wanted to welcome you to the board--and hope to hear lots more from you.

LL
  3. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

Hi LL.

I sure hate this! I panic any time I have to take anything. Wonder what throws our body chemistry so out of balance...

I take vitamins and malic acid with magnesium.It does help with the pain. I can tolerate cold medicines and things like that but prescription meds are terrible for me.

I also noticed that even a glass of wine does not set well with me now either. I get very flushed and light headed.
    All common with FMS, I guess.

Thanks for the reply, I feel most welcome!
    Margie
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Celebrex, Vioxx and Bextra all have sulfa in them and this may be what is causing you the trouble. My mother could not figure out why she could not tolerate them, so I checked it out. She is now on Arthotec and has had good results with it.

It is enteric coated and buffered with something to go easy on your stomach. By the way, it's made by the same company that makes Bextra. These meds are mainly for Arthritis-type pain, so I don't know if they will help you.

Lane
  5. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

ML.

I did know that but I had taken sulfa a few years ago and was ok with it, but then everything changes.
    The doctor in the ER didn't know for sure what I was reacting to. They said to avoid both sulfa and anti-inflamatories. Great cause I'm allergic to penecillin now too...

The Celebrex didn't do much for the fibro pain. It only helped a little with the burning sensation that I seem to have in my muscles all the time.

Thank you for the info though, as I do have osteo arthritis too and may need something in the future for it.
  6. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Hi Margie,

Welcome to the board. I have found this place to contain a wealth of information as well as full of kind and compassionate people.

I too have medicine allergies since coming down with CFS/FM 2 years ago. I truly worry everytime my doctor wants to try a new medicine,,,,always afraid of a reaction.

Prior to CFS/FM, I never experienced any of these problems. Perhaps compromised immune system has made us ultra sensitive.

Best of luck to you. Tulip