Reactive Hypoglycemia?? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LollieBoo, Oct 31, 2005.

1. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

What do you all make of this?

My Doc told me a while back that I had 'Reactive Hypoglycemia'. I took that to mean that I reacted to low blood sugar at a lower threshold than others.

I'd had a lot of problems with blood sugar during pg #1, and was taken to the hospital with a blood sugar of 53 after having eaten a sandwich and drunk a bottle of OJ. I was told that would disappear w/ pg hormones. That dr told me that it was just that my metabolism was thrown off by gestational changes.

I have continued to have hypoglycemic reactions, but have blown them off. About three years ago, my hubby decided he could tell when I was off, so when he notes that I am a bit wonky, he brings me juice or something, and I do feel better then... But wouldn't there be a component of diabetes, then? My blood sugar has NEVER been high.

I tested my blood sugar one day at work, at a diabetic information seminar I'd set up for the public. I think I felt fine; a little spacy, but it was almost lunch. I was drinking a Coca-Cola at the time. My blood sugar was 60.

Last week, at our EMT Refresher class, we were practicing testing blood sugars. Now, I had eaten four (yes, 4!) brownies (they were really good and I don't eat beef or Pork, and the only other food there was chili and summer sausage), and had 2 cans of soda (Again, I know, I know! But I needed to stay awake through the slide presentation!). Anyway, when we went to test each other's blood sugars, I told my partner that mine would be through the roof, but assured her it wasn't that I was diabetic, just that I'd flooded my system with a quick-acting form of glucose (nice euphemism-huh?!). My blood sugar was 88. I tested again, in the other hand, just to make sure. 86. So what do you make of this?

Is this part of FM, or maybe a metabolic thing? Could this be a precursor to diabetes? I am not overweight; I eat well and take good care of myself. I don't have the tell-tale predispositions to diabetes. But could I be wearing out my pancreas with all of this insulin hyperactivity?

Thanks for ANY input!
    Lollie
  2. lilione

lilione New Member

all my life. I have never tested higher than 80 and my average is between 50-60. I just eat every 2-3 hours. I stay away from foods that will spike and then give you a sudden drop, that way I remain symptom free. The symptoms come from a sudden drop in blood sugars. I am still not DB
    and have no genetics toward it, so doubt I will ever get it. Take Care, Lili
  3. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

thats what the deal is.. i would follow that advise.

and by the way orange juice is the worse possible thing you could have with low blood sugar problems... I would say even people with normal functioning metabolism's are susceptible...Ironically enough, i can remember a few instances where the Hospital gave me orange juice to spike my BS back up... idiots...... Stay away from any refined sugars.. especially soda and sweets. I know it sux to not have the privilage to eat things like this when you would like, but 2-4 hours after you eat it, you'll wish you didn't. Don't listen to the people who tell you that eating sugar is necessary to get your blood sugar up.. its kinda like an old wives tale.

I'm under the impression that most of this board has low blood sugar problems... or most with CFS/FM.

[This Message was Edited on 10/31/2005]
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

I just posted yesterday about Hypo, because I had a really really bad episode yesterday. I had gone to church and was starting to feel a little spacey, so when I got out of church, I stupidly gulped a high sugar drink

Then went grocery shopping and stopped at Walmart, and really got sick...thought I was going to collapse. I got very sweaty and weak as can be.

This has been going on pre-FMS, and seems to run in my family.

I try to eat protein with every meal and snack. I have found that the worst things for me are sugary drinks, and definitely cereal with milk.

I eat every two hours and ALWAYS carry food. My Blood Sugar has dropped to 43 at times. It is quite scary.

I have been told this is a pre-diabetic condition.
  5. Suze

Suze New Member

Dr. Atkins himself diagnosed me with "pre-diabetic hypoglycemia" in the 1960s. The *only* way I can remain symptom free most of the time is to stay completely away from anything containing sugar and most things made with flour. If I feel my blood sugar dropping, I reach for protein, not juice.

Suze

6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have had hypoglycemia all of my life (inherited it from my Dad), but it has become worse with the CFS. I have never actually had my blood sugar measured, I just know the symptoms.

Orange juice will be bring your blood sugar up quickly, if it is DANGEROUSLY low. If you drink orange juice (or drink/eat anything sugary) when your blood sugar is low, you MUST eat something with protein and/or fat to stabilize your blood sugar within 15 minutes. Peanut butter is good for stabilizing blood sugar and should generally be used instead of anything sugary.

The very first thing I do when I get up is get a glass of buttermilk. I have a bedtime snack 1/2 hour before going to bed (don't want to get esophogal reflux from lying down immediately after eating). I like cerial cooked in milk rather than water with a little fruit for sweetness (NO sugar) and a little cinnamon. Peanut butter, cheese and tuna also good with whole wheat bread or crackers.
  7. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Thank you so much- I guess I would have saved myself some grief if I'd listened to my dr! This makes a whole lot of sense. I was totally expecting my blood sugar to still be on the rise, because I had eaten all of that sugary stuff almost an hour before we tested. It also explains why I end up craving more sweet stuff when I go out.

I don't eat sweets and refined flours or sugars at home. I maintain a pretty healthy, high protein diet at home because, duh- I made that connection a while back! I started making concessions when out of the house, due to both the lack of non-refined options as well as my inability to eat beef or pork. That quickly turned into eating sugary snacks and desserts often while out. Oh, I feel like a dolt! I should have been more aware of this.

At home, I eat lots of poultry and fish, vegetables and whole grains, and whole fruit. Eggs. I eat lots of eggs. As a matter of fact- I ate quite poorly with my first pg. I ate well, but with a tendency to include lots of high-glycemic carbs. My healthier pg's (the last two), I ate lots of eggs. It was revolting to my DH, because for breakfast, I would eat oatmeal with a poached egg mixed up in it! Salted, but no brown sugar-milk-raisins-normal person things! Even if DH makes pancakes for the kids (whole grain!), I spread them with peanut butter or cream cheese- or both.

At home I eat raw organic almonds for a snack; mixed roasted nuts or cheese less often. Probably my worst snack is popcorn- or pretzels. Now, when I go out- that's another story altogether! I guess I will have to get on the stick... maybe start bringing my own snacks.

I appreciate all of your input on this. So I am guessing this is a component of FM, based on the replies so far.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but for your body to make glucose (if it doesn't come from a simple-sugar source), it takes a protein and a carbohydrate. So, if you eat them together (like in a sandwich?), your body still very readily makes glucose. If you eat protein all by itself, your body must release stored carbohydrates, which gives you a longer, more sustained rise in blood glucose. If you eat a carbohydrate all by itself, it is stored, until a protein is available. Long-term, if you don't eat enough protein, your body will release 'stored protein' if needed, but as your body's protein stores are your muscles, that is a bad situation. This is my understanding of the principles of food combining. Given my aforementioned understanding of reactive hypoglycemia, I could be way off base! But if correct, carbs are okay, as long as they are eaten by themselves. Also, it seems, fat is best to be combined with proteins rather than carbs for sustained energy release.

Lightbulb! (Another duh!) That's why you drink buttermilk!!! And eat peanutbutter. Oy. I should have woken up before trying to engage my brain. Thanks so much for walking me to this conclusion.

-Lollie
  8. zoose

zoose New Member

I have hypoglycemic reactions to food although never been officially diagnosed. With the help of a nutritionist and trial and error I have found out the following things:

Never have caffine and carbs for breakfast. The crash later isn't worth it. I find an egg sandwich or oatmeal made with milk or cereal and yogurt work best for me.

Eat small meals often. I break my breakfast into two small portions that I eat about three hours apart. Lunch and a small snack and then dinner.

I stopped drinking soda and eating white bread a long time ago. I now no longer eat pasta (another blood sugar spiker) or wheat of any kind, which has put a stop to my cookie munching days ;-)

I never have dessert unless I have eaten a good meal first and then I don't eat a lot of it.

I have also been weening myself off caffene. My energy level seems to be more constant throughout the day. I used to crash hard in the afternoon. If I start getting dizzy or nausious I eat a regular meal that includes protien and carbs and fat.

The best book I have found on this is Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by a doctor from the Harvard School for Public Health; Willits I think?

Take care,
    zoose
  9. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

Lilione,
    Do you feel ok when your blood sugar is in the 50-60 range as long as it hasn’t plummeted from a high number? A book I read said the best range is 60-100 throughout the day. I certainly never had any blood sugar problems prior to CFIDS and no one else in my family has any similar symptoms. I seem to react very strongly to potatoes of any kind—chips, yams, etc.

My problem now is that I have a tendency to blame my anxiety symptoms on low blood sugar and then end up stuffing my face, when usually my blood sugar had nothing to do with the episode.
    -Carrie
  10. lilione

lilione New Member

You are absolutely correct. Symptoms generally appear, when people have an extreme drop in their blood sugars. That's were a 5 hr glucose tolerance test is valuable.
    I only have to be careful if I do something strenuous, but other then swimming, that doesn't happen much anymore.
    The average persons symptoms will disappear on their own, in about an hour after the liver adjusts, even without taking something to eat.
    Potatoes and yams do have a high glycemic index, make sure you eat them with other foods.
    Anxiety does give you the same symptoms, and I empathize with you, when you can't tell the difference. just remember, if you haven't been Dx with DM, we really don't have anything to worry about.
    Space your food and eat healthy foods, with a good
    variety.

Good luck, Lili

[ advertisement ]