Reactive Hypoglycemia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PBNJ, Mar 26, 2003.

1. PBNJ

PBNJ New Member

Hi all. I usually just come here to read when I am feeling alone in this boat, but today I guess I feel the need to jump in!

I was tested for reactive hypoglycemia today with the standard glucose tolerance test & was told my test results were "textbook perfect". So... I was feeling like fainting & had dry heaves because... why? Doctor says it must just be stress.

I have read that many FMS patients have reactive hypoglycemia but that it does not show up on the standard test. Can anyone verify this? Why doesn't it show up on the tests if we do have it?

Every time I go to my doctor with something that he can't do a "rubber stamp" test for he pats me on the head & says I need to take more anti-depressants because I obviously can't handle life (it's all in my head). Of course he doesn't SAY it like that, but you know he is thinking it!

I could scream!

Thanks for reading,

Pam
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do not know anything about whether it shows up in tests.

Anyone?

Love, Mikie
  3. dd

dd New Member

Just came across your post...I have Reactive Hypoglycemia along with CFS, FM and Hypothyroid.

I had the GTT test...would NEVER go thru that again. I had the 6 hour test with blood samples taken every hour. Here are my glucose readings...

Fasting Level was 98
    Hour 1 - 161
    Hour 2 - 159
    Hour 3 - 114
    Hour 4 - 56
    Hour 5 - 72
    Hour 6 - 99

I was told that if there is a fluctuation of 100 or more in the numbers that it is considered Hypoglycemia. My highest level was 161 and my lowest was 56 so they concluded Hypo. The nurse that was doing the blood draws on me told me that I had it without even knowing what the numbers were. She told me that she can tell by how the person reacts during the testing time. Some people do just fine the whole 6 hours and can get up and drive themselves home. I was lucky that I had my husband with me because I could not even walk out of the hospital after the test. The first couple of hours were ok but after the 3rd hour I started to get a migraine, could not concentrate, felt sick to my stomach, was weak and shaky and felt like passing out. I felt so bad that I wanted to call the test off and have something to eat but the nurse wouldn't let me. When the test was over I had to be wheeled out to the car. All the way home I was shaking uncontrollably, I threw up in the car and had a severe panic attack. When I got home I had something to eat and felt better after about an hour but I did feel "sick" for about 3 days after that test.

Some doctors won't diagnose Hypo unless your lowest number falls below 50 but I think that is wrong. You have to listen to your body. I have a friend that has Hypo and she has symptoms if her blood sugar falls below 70. Every person is different. I start to have syptoms if my bs falls below 65 but I try to keep it up to about 85-100. Once I was diagnosed with Hypo I started the Atkin's Diet to control my blood sugar and it has done wonders for me. I am pretty much evened out and I eat something every couple of hours.

What were your blood sugar numbers during the test? Maybe you should take your information to another doctor that will listen to you. I can't stand the docs that ONLY go by numbers...especially with us that deal with FM and CFS...nothing ever seems to show up on tests even though we have various problems.

Peace,

Debbie
  4. PBNJ

PBNJ New Member

Thanks for the information/details on your experience! I had only a three hour test & I never felt anything worse than tired during the test. My numbers were "textbook" perfect according to the doctor. However... for about 4 weeks now maybe every few days I end up feeling like passing out & having dry heaves after eating (nope, not pregnant). I suppose I should just forget what the doctor said & try to cut out sugars & eat smaller meals more often & see if that helps. If it does help, I'll know that was my problem after all! If not, I will have to seek out another physician (preferably a woman!).

Hugs!
    Pam
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Does not believe in the glucose tolerance test. He said people with reactive hypoglycemia have such rapid swings in blood sugar levels that unless the test just happens to catch the moment of low blood sugar, the info is useless. I don't know enough about the subject to agree or disagree with him. All I know is that this test sounds like something which could put me in the pitts for days. Just changing the diet and observing the results is good enough. Also, we shouldn't be eating all those carbs anyway, so unless it is critical to have an official diagnosis, I say, "why put yourself through this?" Just my humble opinion.

Love, Mikie
  6. PBNJ

PBNJ New Member

the test is not worth it! My fingers are so sore from being poked I can hardly type & last night I could do nothing except lay in the tub. I wasn't sure I was going to even make it to work today, but I managed.

Thanks for the information Mikie. I wonder if you have any advice on how to give up that morning soda? I am so addicted to Pepsi in the morning. It seems to be the only thing that will get me going when I am at work! All other carbs, I can do without no problem... I guess it's either worth it to me or it's not right?

Thanks again :)
    Pam
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was addicted to Diet Coke for ages. I finally switched to caffeine-free Diet Coke and got used to it, but neither is good for us. I just gave it up cold turkey like I did nicotine. Seems I'm an all or nothing kind of person and cold turkey is what works for me. It doesn't work for everyone.

Now that I have stopped using it every day, I can enjoy a Diet Coke every once in a while without getting back into being addicted. I don't buy it at the store, but I'll have one every once in a while when I eat out. Diet Rite Cola is made with Splenda and without caffeine. Now, I'm not sure Splenda is safe, but it's better than Neutrasweet and sugar. It might be a compromise drink for you while getting off the Pepsi.

Regardless of how you quit the Pepsi, drinking TONS of water will help kill the desire for it. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  8. PBNJ

PBNJ New Member

It's so nice to know I'm not the only one! Thank you for the advice & the prayers! I think I will give the soda you suggested a shot as well as drinking the water. One day at a time right? :)

Thanks again for your advice & support!

Hugs!
    Pam