Read any good books on CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twerp, Dec 1, 2006.

1. twerp

twerp New Member

Hi Everyone, I was just browsing on Overstock and I see several books on CFS.

Was wondering if anyone has read a book they can recommend?

Thanks & Hugs,
    Twerp
  2. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hi Twerp,

Off the top of my head there is the oh so popular "From Fatigued to Fantastic" book by Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. who claims he has/had CFIDS/M.E. It's easy to read and uses a combination of treatment protocol options...also speaks about FM.

CFS Handbook by Derek Enlander, M.D. is very easy to read as well.

"Betrayal By the Brain" by Jay A. Goldstein, M.D. It's not easy to understand at all, but it's very interesting and he's quite the pioneer. There is a manual (easier to read) that goes along with his book written by a woman who has CFIDS/M.E...sorry, the name is escaping me at the moment, but it's well worth reading - the manual that is...to understand it.

There are loads of books, but believe it or not, Barnes & Noble has an ENTIRE section on "CFS." Go figure. If you can check out their stock, you'll probably find some interesting books.

Reading and researching too much can become overwhelming and confusing I've found after all these years, but in the end knowledge really is power. :)

Best,
    LB32 (Leeza)
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I liked 'Fatigued to Fantastic' too. It's laid out nicely so its easy to read, and i've used it a lot as a reference in talking to my doctor about different treatments to try.
  4. cct

cct Member

The two best books that I have read are:

1. "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Treatment Guide" by Erica Verrrillo ans Lauren Gellman

2. "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Other Invisable Illnesses" by Katrina Berne
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Please read my bio. The Golan one has been at least as useful as the other two.
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hilary Johnson's OSLER'S WEB is thorough account and expose of the history of the illness (but long--took me about a month to read).

There's also a great recent book by Dorothy Wall called ENCOUNTERS WITH THE INVISIBLE: UNSEEN ILLNESS, CONTROVERSY, AND CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME.

These aren't CFS treatment books, but they're excellent.

7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Living Well with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia by Mary J. Shomon (2004). This book covers a variety of treatment approaches for CFS & FM.
  8. iforgetto

iforgetto New Member

I stay away from the we can cure you books after 10 years!!
    I liked Katrina Berne's frist book Running on empty.
    1=Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and Other Invisible Illnesses by Katrina Berne

2=Faces of CFS
    Case Histories of
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    David S. Bell, MD
    free pdf download here
    http://www.davidsbell.com/Faces_of_CFS.pdf

3=The Doctor's Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    David S. Bell, MD

Osler's Web: Inside the Labyrinth of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Epidemic by Hillary Johnson
  9. kbak

kbak Member

A good book for those who have the HHV-6 virus causing their CFS is "The Virus Within". It'll give you a very good idea why so little headway has been made with this illness.

kbak