Read anything good lately?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Oct 12, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Still in a very bad relapse, but wanted to say hello.
    Just finished the Welsh thriller, Ice Trap, and greatly enjoyed it.

You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

sorry you're still feeling so bad and will be glad when you're better and back on board with us.

I tried reading Midnight's Children by Salamin Rushdie but gave up....some parts were excellent but I didnt enjoy most of it.

My husband went and got me a selection of books today from library, nothing jumping out at me but fingers crossed.

Answered your last post but think I was late....let you know I was at The Lodge in Loch Lomond for a night a few weeks back, it was SO beautiful.

Take care Ken

[This Message was Edited on 10/13/2008]
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Ice Trap sounds like a really good Read!,,I'll look it up!,,,,,,,,as usual i'm watching the documentrys and autobiographys,,,the latest one was Thomas Jefferson,,,what an important figure in American history!,,,,

Although a very Troubled Man at times in his life for having to be away from his family,,,,,I guess thats what you get for being a Reviloutionary!,,,,,of course John Adams helped him along,,,,,,

but would we all be a Free nation without him?,,,,,,,,He was very good to his workers though,,,,although they were not Free,,,,sort of a contridiction to his beliefs,,,,,,,

The John Adams series is next on my agenda,,,

I Hope you Recover to a more comfortable level!,,,also keeping you in my prayers!,,,,,,,Montana Sis,,,,,
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Haven't read "Ice Trap", but I have a book called "Ice Moon" on hold. It is a detective story set in Finland (altho the author is German).

Ever hear of Okabena, MN? Sounds like a town on the edge of a swamp in Florida. (Is Indian for "Place where the herons hang out".) Have been reading about Bonnie and Clyde. In May of 1933 Clyde Barrow and his brother Buck robbed the bank. Shot up the town as they drove away.

Bonnie and Blanche (Buck's wife) were waiting outside of the town. The amount stolen was $100, $1,500, $2,500 or something else. Depends on what site you read.

Altho 3 other people were convicted of the crime, Blanche says in her account written in the Missouri State prison that Clyde and Buck did it.

Blanche was the only who lived to be old. Died in the l980s. The other 3 were all shot and killed by the cops.

Don't know for sure, but it appears that being a bank robber is even more hazardous than being a rap artist (there's an oxymoron for you).

Hope you get to feeling better soon, Old Boy.

5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Glad to see your post, but very sorry you are still in a bad relapse.
    Ice Trap sounds intriguing. How did you discover it?

I've actually been reading without getting too sleepy in the process, which is nice. About a month ago, I finished Annie Duke's book "How I Raised, Folded, Bluffed, Cursed, and Won Millions" (As you might guess, she is one of the world's best poker players.)

A week ago or so I finished reading Tim Russert's book "Big Russ and Me". These were both very enjoyable reads.

Now I'm attempting read something that I have to actually be pretty alert for. It's called "The Wordly Philosophers: The Lives, Times, and Ideas of the Great Economic Thinkers" by Robert L. Heilbroner. We'll see how much of that book I get through. ;-)

I really hope you feel MUCH BETTER SOON.

All the best,

6. 28years

28years New Member

I stumbled upon a fun and interesting website. It has stories and essays that are read out loud by an aspiring voice actor. It’s called the Grafton Voice. It is found at

One story: The Mysterious Cheese Ship of the Atlantic, is so funny I laughed out loud when I listen to it. It’s a silly kind of funny. I figure we can all use some laughter in our lives.

There are more serious essays and stories on the website. There is even one essay, Joyous Living, that is written by someone who has CFIDS.

I haven’t listened to everything on the site yet, but I have liked what I have listened to so far.

It’s free and easy to use. It also looks like they are trying to get writers to submit their works to be read on the site.

I just thought I’d pass it along.
  7. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

my friends bumper sticker says, "buckle up it makes it harder for the aliens to pull you outta your seat." :) his other one says "visualize using turn signals"
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

So good to hear from you, Ken. I'm sorry you're having a setback. May you turn that corner soon; we miss you.

Am I reading anything good lately?

No! Can you believe it? It must be me.

I'll scroll on down and see if I can find some good suggestions.

My best to you,
  9. greygodess

greygodess New Member

Just finished a couple of books. Body Surfing by Anita Shreve. She wrote the Pilot's Wife. Also the Tomato Girl. Both were hard to put down. More of a chick book. Anyone read the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich? They are titled by numbers. One for the Money, Two for the dough, etc. I like to read the books and my husband likes to listen to them on tape. Mystery and humor. Luckily we have a good library so I get a good selection of books there. Godbless and happy reading.