read book

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by inbetweendays, Nov 20, 2011.

1. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

Anyone read the book--Recovery from cfs: 50 personal stories?
  2. luigi21

luigi21 Member

have you? and is it any good, i'll take a looksee on amazon, cheers x
  3. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

know--i havent read it yet--i have so many books--all trying to cure myself of many different ailments. right now i am reading treating and beating fibro and cfids, by doctor rodger murphree--he makes a lot of sense---i only wish i read this long ago----

LEFTYGG Member

Im friends on Facebook with dr murphees website. He has a lot of good info.
  5. vickiw

vickiw Member

I got this book a few years ago when it was available only electronically, and I printed out the whole thing. I think it's a great book in that it gives hope for recovery.

Some of the book's contributers seemed to have entirely different conditions (depression for one). They were all interesting to read however. I picked out the stories that I most closely related to and focused on those.

I found some pointers that I hadn't known about prior to reading the book. I did more research on those and applied them. They've helped - I'm improving, though at a glacially slow rate.

One in particular was about limiting visual stimulation. Who knew? Being mostly bedbound, I spent most of my time watching TV, reading and on the computer. Now I strictly limit those and it actually helps lessen the fatigue/sick feeling. Downloadable audio books through the library is a huge help in filling the time.

So....enjoy the book, and eke out what you can from it!
  6. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

By the way---many people with cfids have depression-it may be due to changes in the brain.....we need to stop insinuating that people who have cfids may really have is a minimizing statement....
  7. vickiw

vickiw Member

The person in the book was "cured" with antidepressants and exercise. That doesn't sound like me/cfs to me. After dealing with this disease for 10 years, and being mostly bed bound for 5 years, I am the last person who would insinuate that people who have cfids may really have depression. However it is possible that some people with depression think they have me/cfs.

It was my opinion. Sorry you felt my review of the book minimized this illness!!

8. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

sorry--im just really touchy--having been accused of all sorts of things--and told the cfids is the manifestation of depression...
  9. vickiw

vickiw Member

I've been 'round that mountain many times. It's only natural we get touchy after a while. My favorite thing was being told I should exercise during a long period (years) when I couldn't even stand to take a shower. This from a Harvard educated doctor...and he was insistent about it.