READ: IMPORTANT ABOUT CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by webintrig, Nov 1, 2006.

1. webintrig

webintrig New Member

I just recieved this in my email and was not sure if this was in the newsletter here for CFS so just in case it was not here is what I was sent:

Press Conference will be held November 3!

The CFIDS Association of America is delighted that media outreach for the national CFS public awareness campaign will shift into high gear this week with a press conference announcing the campaign.

The press conference will be held Friday, November 3, at 10:00 a.m. at the National Press Club in Washington, DC. Reporters from newspapers, TV and radio networks and stations, online publications and scientific journals will be at the Press Club or participating by phone.

The campaign will be introduced by Dr. Julie Gerberding, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and by Kimberly McCleary, president and CEO of the CFIDS Association of America. The CDC and the CFIDS Association are collaborating on this campaign, which is the first-ever nationwide education and awareness campaign for chronic fatigue syndrome in the United States.

Also speaking to reporters will be Dr. John Agwunobi, Assistant Secretary for Health; Dr. William Reeves, chief of the CFS research program at CDC; Dr. Suzanne Vernon, a key member of the CFS research team at CDC; Dr. Anthony Komaroff, a CFS physician and researcher at Harvard Medical School; Dr. Nancy Klimas, a CFS physician and researcher at the University of Miami; Adrianne Ryan, a CFS patient; and Jennie Spotila, a CFS patient.

Dr. Gerberding will announce the campaign and introduce its elements. Dr. Agwunobi will discuss the Department of Health and Human Services approach to CFS, including the renewal of the CFS Advisory Committee charter and 7 new grants just funded by the National Institutes of Health

Dr. Reeves will provide an update on CFS research at the CDC, while Drs. Komaroff and Klimas will share their perspectives on what is known about CFS and what can be done to improve patient care. Ms. Ryan will offer reporters insight into the personal impact of having CFS.

Since the event is only open to the press, the CFIDS Association will make a six-minute segment of “highlights” from the press conference available on our website on Friday afternoon. Look for details about how to access this video file in a special CFIDSLink to be sent on November 3.

Look for these stories about CFS!

We have been actively pitching this story and there has been considerable early interest from the press. Although many reporters don’t let us know in advance, some have already confirmed their intention to do a story on CFS and the campaign. Look for these stories in the national press:

NBC Nightly News – Thursday, November 2, on the evening news
    U.S. News and World Report – Friday, November 3
    United Press International – Friday, November 3, a syndicated article will be written and will be picked up by print and broadcast media across the country
    Fox Television Network – will do a national feed that can be picked up by Fox affiliates in cities across the country and aired on local news programs
    Clear Channel Radio Network – national feed that can be picked up by affiliates in cities across the country
    Rolanda Show, Greenstone Media Network - Friday, November 3, 1:20 p.m. (Eastern time)
    In addition to the press conference, the Association and our PR agency have scheduled a satellite media tour on Friday morning, giving national and local media outlets an opportunity for one-on-one interviews with CDC experts and CFS patients for broadcast on television and radio programs across the country. Among those stations expressing interest so far are:

News 12 Cable Network (NY, NJ, Connecticut)
    Tallahassee, FL - ABC-TV
    Boston, MA - WBZ-AM
    Beaumont, TX - ABC-TV
    Tampa, FL - ABC-TV
    Philadelphia, PA - WFIL-AM
    Baltimore, MD - WJSS-AM
    Lubbock, TX - ABC TV
    Rochester, NY - NBC TV
    National magazines are also sending writers to the press conference, or participating by phone. Among those to confirm that they will cover the press event in order to do a story on CFS in an upcoming issue are More, Shape, Self, Prevention and First for Women.

This is just a small sampling of the articles and news segments that will appear in the coming weeks. We hope you’ll be sure to look for these stories and let us know what you think. Also, please contact media@cfids.org to let us know when you see a story in your local press and, if possible, send an online link or a paper clipping to us so we can report all the coverage as it occurs.

This event is the culmination of many months of intense effort, and it begins the next phase of awareness activities conducted in collaboration with the CDC and Department of Health and Human Services. We hope that it will contribute to positive changes in knowledge and attitudes about CFS among the public and health care professionals. Please share this announcement and be part of the effort to spark greater awareness!

[This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  2. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

for the info!!!
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

4. webintrig

webintrig New Member

5. webintrig

webintrig New Member

It's starting tonight!!! Tv time and I will bring the popcorn!!!
  6. tinktink

tinktink New Member

I will try and watch the broadcasts.... thanks for the info.
    Best Wishes Diana
  7. shell

shell New Member

I'm just too overly excited (hahaa even though I am extremely tired today)...

I am BUMPING everything to do with the press conference.
    I am even thinking of coming 'out of the closet' to some of my friends/co-workers whom I have never told.

8. shell

shell New Member

I am even thinking of coming 'out of the closet' to some of my friends/co-workers whom I have never told.

9. shell

shell New Member

10. renjanson

renjanson New Member