READ THIS - DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I just came back from Connecticut to be with my brother-in-law. His 45-year-old wife died of cancer two weeks ago. She was diagnosed a few years ago with stomach cancer. By changing her diet, meditating, support groups and chemo, she was in remission for a long time. Then this November, she went downhill and ended up in the hospital. She had all sorts of tubes in her and they had to drain fluid from her stomach. She was in a lot of pain. But she cared so much for other people! After my hysterectomy, I called her and she was so concerned about how I was doing! They sent her home from the hospital and she never gave up. Up until the very end she and my brother-in-law thought about other treatments. This made me think very seriously about FMS and how it affects me. As bad a situation as I ever feel I am in, it is NOT life-threatening. If my sister-in-law could feel positive until the very end, how could I think I can't cope? So please try to see the good things, no matter what. I loved my sister-in-law very much and she left a positive message with her actions and attitudes!

Annette2
  2. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

You are so right, we tend to get causght up with "us", but the truth is there are so many people worse off than ourselves. That you sisterinlaw could stay so positive is amazing. What a loss for you! I believe staying positive would certianly improve some things, I am going to mack a pack to start improving my attitude.

How did you start on your diet? Cold turkey or all at once? I think I am going to gradually make the changes I need to make, so I can stay with it. Have you used a certian cookbook to go by?

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
    Deb
  3. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I'm so sorry about your loss. It sounds as though your SIL was a very special person. Thank you for the reminder that there is still much to be grateful for :)
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I think when we take inspiration from our loved ones who die, we honor their lives and spirits. My prayers are with you and your family.

Love, Mikie
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Thank you for your kind words! My sister-in-law was a wonderful person and this shouldn't have happened to her! She had over 300 people at her funeral! She was an educator and touched the lives of many people.

Deb, as far as the diet goes, I am not following a special diet. And I will say that I was not good at all when I went away. I live in Indiana, and my New York taste palate couldn't refuse the wonderful bread and pizza on the East Coast! I am trying to stay away from wheat first, since I can't do everything at once. I am also going to try to stop drinking Coke. I munch on almonds when I need a crunchy food and eat a slice of cheese for breakfast. Since I work I can't be very fancy with breakfast. Tonight I'm making chili, and I also have a recipe for a couscous dish with chickpeas. I can't stop eating carbs at all and don't think it's safe. I guess I'm just taking bits and pieces from what I've learned here and from reading. My son works in a health food store and I may try a yeast-cleansing regimen soon. I'll let you know how that works too.

Annette2
  6. Peace7

Peace7 New Member

give up wheat is hard.
    But did you know that couscous is a wheat product??

Brown rice works better for me.
    If I think about it, I make some ahead and freeze to use when I'm in a hurry.

-Anne
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Your sister in law Annette. What a great lost to you and your brother. She had a wonderful attitude, and sounded like a very caring person too.

I lost my whole family to cancer, so I know what you are saying. God bless hon.

You are so right, Fibro/CFS is bad, but it is not life threating. We simply have to keep a good attitude and keep trying for help.

Thanks for sharing your post with us.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Words always seem so empty at times like this, no matter the intentions of the sender. Be happy that your SIL knew that she was loved by so many, and that you had the chance to be with her in her final moments. Too often, we realize how much we care only after it is too late. Our prayers are with you and your family.
    Kathryn