READERS DIGEST/CFS AWARENESS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

(Drat! I just wrote this post and it disappeared on me. If it shows up on the board, please excuse.)

In Reader's Digest there's an advice column called "Ask Laskas" written by Jeanne Marie Laskas. In this month's (October) issue a man writes in asking how to "get his tired wife to wake up and smell the coffee." He signs it, Bright-Eyed and Bushy-Tailed.

Laskas' reply, in part, is: "Dear Bushy, First, take her seriously, and take her to a doctor. Such exhaustion could be a sign of chronic fatigue syndrome - or depression."

Chronic fatigue syndrome!!!!!! It's written as acceptingly as MS, heart disease or cancer! This magazine routinely shows up in almost every doctor's waiting room not to mention being an old favorite for many folks.

I think we should email Ms. Laskey thanking her for legitimizing the illness in her column. I'm concerned that lenghty personal histories might not get read so "short" is the watchword. Her email address is: advice@rd.com

This is so obviously not the time to change the name. Let's wait until the headlines can read: Breakthrough: Illness Formerly Known As CFS Has Been Identified.

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 10/11/2006]
  2. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

For posting this. I agree wholeheartedly with what you say!!

Good old Reader's Digest! Been around longer than I have. Not too many things have, LOL.

Thanks again, Marta.
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

This is really great news! I wish someone would talk to my insurance company who does not want to pay me for short term disability for just being tired!
  6. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Awareness is spreading, and with it so will acceptance!
  7. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I'm going to write a thank-you to Ms. Laskas right now, at advice@rd.com !

I Googled Jeanne Marie Laskas - and found that she also has a regular column in the Washingtom Post Magazine, and is a prolific free-lance contributor to other magazines as well.

I hope lots of people drop a quick email to her thanking her - positive reinforcement!

Best,

Roseblossom

8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

She also has a couple of books out now that sound good.

It's hard finding her online at RD so your idea of writing her at the Post is a good one.

Marta
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I just emailed the washington post to thank her.
    Thank you for posting this
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks, ladies. We are appreciative readers!

Marta
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Such simple, commonsense wisdom. How refreshing to see it--in Reader's Digest!--after continual nonsense about somatic syndrome and the like.

I will thank her in an e-mail as well.
  12. MsE

MsE New Member

Just as soon as I log off, I'll write a "thank you" note to Ms. Laskas.
  13. MsE

MsE New Member

A "thank you" note is on its way to Jeanne Marie Laskas. Thanks for letting us know about this, Marta.

14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You know how with children the motto is "Find them doing something right"? I think this goes for everyone and right now ESPECIALLY those acknowledging CFS/FM as legitimate illnesses.

Marta
  15. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Right now, I'd like to kick that guy's bushy tail! Hope he will "wake up and smell the coffee" and take this serriously too.

Thanks for posting.
    (( )) Shannon
  16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Amen! And many others. ;>)

Marta