Reading a superb new book on CFIDS/ME: I'd highly recommend it.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Aug 13, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

A while back, someone posted about Dorothy Wall's new book on CFS, ENCOUNTERS WITH THE INVISIBLE: ILLNESS, CONTROVERSY, AND CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME.

I'm just about done reading it. It's the best book on CFS that I've read. Wall relates her experiences with the illness, and also tells about the history, politics, and culture of CFS. There are chapters on the name debate, how CFS affects our identity and sense of self, illnesses which preceeded CFS but sound eerily familiar, the CDC and CFS, etc... It's very informative and it's also very well written. I got it through interlibrary Loan through our local library, but you can find it on Amazon.com also.

I have been wanting to tackle OSLER'S WEB, Hilary Johnson's lengthy book about the history and politics of CFS, but haven't been up to it yet.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 08/14/2006]
  2. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

I've read it and could really relate. It's an excellent read. Blessings
  3. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

I'm about 2/3 of the way through it. Highly recommended.

Osler's Web is another good book, but yes, it's long & quite detailed. Worthwhile, though.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks for the recommendation, Ken. I'll check it out.

Marta
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I hope others get a chance to read this book, or at least selected chapters of it.

I ordered it through our library's interlibrary loan, and it was here in a week.

Kholmes
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

How did you get your library to send you books in the mail?

I'm really enjoying interlibrary loan. If my library doesn't have a book, they'll track it down almost anywhere in the country. Costs about $1 each time I do it.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2006]
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

on hold at the library. Still waiting for whatever the book of the month is: Revenge of the Pi or something.

It is allegedly in transit to my local branch.
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just read the chapter "On Determination" in Wall's book this morning. In terms of this illness, it was spot on.

Hanginthere: Lucky you! That's a great service.

Rockgor: LIFE OF PI! Just read the first several pages last night. Looks very good.

Kholmes
  9. rockgor

I must have been thinking of the sequel. Or is that "The PI Strikes Back"?
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That's quite alright, Rockgor. Isn't there a strange black and white movie about a mathematician called PI?

Here's a quote I thought you might like:

"I cannot call to mind a single instance where I have ever been
    irreverent, except toward the things which were sacred to other
    people."
    --Mark Twain

11. rockgor

Never saw that quote before. I will mark it down.

Mark Twain is always listed as one of, if not the greatest, American humorist. I always think of him as a novelist. Don't think he's too funny.

Other great humorists from the past don't seem too funny to me either: George Ade, Will Rogers, and that other guy whose name I can't remember; you know, often said to be the first one. (Looked it up. Artemus Ward. He was even a big hit in England.)

Have to get to the 20th century before they are readable to me: Benchley, Thurber, Parker, and my favorite, Dave Barry.

Who's on your funny bone hit parade?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2006]
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hadn't heard of Artemus Ward.

I love Mark Twain as a writer, but don't find him all that funny, either. Twain is also very shrewd and witty, but I'm not sure that's the same thing as being downright funny.

I never found Shakespeare's comedies very funny to read, even though they are brilliant, but I saw productions of a number of them on stages that had me in stitches. I took a group of students to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland several years ago. It's the finest Shakespeare fest in the country, in my opinion.

Lawrence Sterne's 18th century book, TRISTRAM SHANDY is very funny, but it's also very difficult and convoluted, and I don't think my brain could handle it at moment.

Among more recent writers/humorists, Thurber makes me laugh; Garrison Keillor (but during other parts of his show than his long "Lake Wobegone" monologues).

The first chapter in Bill Bryson's A WALK IN THE WOODS has to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. I enjoy anything by Bryson, especially his travel writing.

Dave Barry; the poet, Billy Collins; Steve Martin; the "Car Talk" brothers on NPR; Tom Bodett; Al Franken. I used to enjoy the Douglas Adams HITCHHIKER books, but that was quite a while ago.

I haven't given David Sedaris much of a chance, but so far, he has failed to hit my funny bone.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 08/15/2006]
  13. NancyMystic

NancyMystic New Member

14. rockgor

Son of a Gun!

Thank you, Nancy.
  15. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thank you for the book recommendation!

I thought Osler's Web was fascinating. It's pretty dated now, but great history of CFS is in there.

Forebearance
  16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

so more can check this excellent book out.

Kholmes