Reading, "FMS seems to have a SYSTEMIC cause.." ?? meaning?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Nov 1, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I'm looking in this Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, to try to find some physical therapy things I can work on myself, while I can't afford traditional P.T.'s.

In the beginning of the book, it says, "Fibromyalgia is believed to have a systemic cause, instead of something specific to the muscles, and usually the entire body is involved."

I'm just a little confused I guess - what does "a systemic cause" mean exactly?
  2. ladykew

ladykew New Member

it is caused from somewhere within your bodily system and not something specific to the muscles. Just like with Lupus...there are two kinds. One is the type where only the skin is involved; the other is the more serious kind, Systemic Lupus, which is within your system and can affect your organs and all parts of your body. (Not the same disease...just a way of explaining "systemic cause").

Hope I didn't confuse the issue.

~~~LadyLew

3. when something is "systemic" it means it's in all the parts of the body.

Infection, for example. when an infection turns "systemic" definitely NOT good, extremely dangerous, because, it has travelled through bloodstream & can kill quickly.

So, in this case.....i guess it would mean well, kind of what it said, not just confined to muscles, but, it's moreso body-wide (tissues, blood?, tendons, bones possibly..) brain, etc.

I'm sure someone will actually research or find a good page to paste here with better exact info..but anytime something is "systemic" it has spread throughout the body

Take care,
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Having Systemic Lupus, it does affect all parts of my body.

But I "ditto" Haley's neurological explanation. Dr.'s just don't know about all of this.

There's a new group of cutting edge people who are working with this ........the LENS machine to balance out our brain chemistry.

LIGHT************carole
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Saying that something has a systemic cause means, for instance, that diabetics may develop gangreen, but the real cause is their diabetes, or systemic disease which causes the vascular problems involved in it.

We may have muscle pain, but it isn't a local muscle pull, it is caused by a disorder which is systemic, like diabetes, but manifests itself in muscle pain, tightness, etc.
  6. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Thanks everyone! I think I understand what he means now. We have a host of mysterious symptoms with some root cause in our bodies.. just one that hasn't been discovered yet :eek:/
  7. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

"Fibromyalgia is believed to have a systemic cause, instead of something specific to the muscles, and usually the entire body is involved."

TRANSLATED:
    "The medical industry has no idea what causes Fibromyalgia, we only know it affects the entire body and decline to believe it really exists until we see some proof in a standardized blood test."